IGNORED

Rear brake lever travel distance?

greiffster

It feels like there is too much travel in the rear brake lever of my RT. As in, the distance I have to depress the lever before any real braking power is felt, is too far. It's got to be more than 2 inches, but I haven't actually measured it yet. It seems to grab just fine once you stomp on it far enough.

At this point I have not checked any of the clearance between the footbrake lever and the switch or anything like that. And I'm relatively sure I bled it properly during the last flush, as it's been this way since I've owned it.

So I guess I am asking if this is normal?

szurszewski

I don't know if it's normal, but my R1100RT's rear pedal has been like that since I've had it (since 2006). Gets a little better when the pads are replaced, but it still seems like LOTS of travel before any braking starts.

Yeah.....the rear brake feels like crap no matter what you do. On my RT.....I flushed everything, installed new stainless lines, and added new pads. It made it marginally better, but it was still the worst rear brake feel of any bike I've ever owned.

Evening greiffster

Yes, some of them are like that. Especially if your bike has the smaller (early) master cyl piston size (your 03 should have the larger piston cylinder though)

If you are SURE you have ALL the air out of the rear control circuit, rear wheel circuit, & crossover circuit then you can probably help it a little by adjusting the rear master cyl push rod. Then re-setting the pedal stop & switch adjustment. (caution: don't adjust the push rod too far as that will not allow the piston to properly uncover the fluid takeup-port.

Some of those old 1150's also have some looseness in the pedal pivot to bore so some of the apply movement is lost to taking up the slop before the pedal moves the push rod. (a thin washer, or wavy washer, can help here)

If you are SURE you have ALL the air out of the rear control circuit, rear wheel circuit, & crossover circuit then you can probably help it a little by adjusting the rear master cyl push rod.

I try to be real careful when bleeding the thing. It doesn't feel squishy like there is air in there. It's just kind of a dead zone. But, who knows when you factor in the goofy servo. I'll take a look.

They have a rear brake?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:/ Actually a good point. When just riding about town, I don't even use the thing. Both levers have a very grabby, non-linear feel to them, certainly at low speeds. So I find it easier and smoother just to use the front lever and let the computer do it's thing. But, sometimes going into sweepers, I like to use just a little rear brake to scrub some speed off. I recognize that the computer will balance the braking force to the front wheel anyway. I guess it's just a good excuse so I won't forget how to use a rear brake. Maybe some day I'll ride a bike that's doesn't do it for me. ;)

Just having a little fun. I do use my rear brakes on occasion.

I like a non-linked non-ABS bike. I must...I own four of them. I prefer to use my rear brake on loose gravel parking areas and such when riding the road bikes and like you mentioned when scrubbing off a little speed.

Archived