IGNORED

Excess Electrical Capacity (2015 R1200 RT)

Onegrecook

Does anybody know what the excess electrical capacity of the 2015 RT (fully loaded) is? The specs say total alternator output is 540 watts, but I don't know how much the current model uses as it is set up now. I'm trying to determine how much capacity I have for heated clothing and auxillary lights.

Thanks,

Hank R1200RT

Are you sure about that number? I do not have my owner's manual at hand, but multiple Internet sites (Wikipedia and Rider magazine) list the output as 720 watts. Did BMW really drop the output by 20+%?

In any event...my recommendation would be to add a voltmeter and ammeter to your instruments. If your configuration is marginal, you will at least have warning.

Best regards,

Definitely 540W -- the the days of 720W/840W RT alternators are long gone. The wethead motor's alternator arrangements could hardly be more different than the oil/hex/camheads.

That said, 540W should be fine. Due to space constraints, the K16's alternator is the same output, and even with a lot of accessories (including the drain from a Uni-Go trailer and heated gear) I never once had a "not enough juice" issue.

Even better, the current generation of bikes has a two-stage dash warning light to let you know when the system voltage is getting too low and you need to shed some of the loads.

Bottom line, while it is prudent to know how much reserve you have, you have a lot (30A?) of excess capacity so you can "add stuff" pretty freely, while also knowing you'll have some warning in the unlikely even you start running out of "spare" capacity.

Thank you,

I've had several people tell me it would be fine. I just like to know that I am still in line. For sake of thinking worst case scenario, if I hook up every article of the gerbing line, including jacket liner, pant, gloves, and socks, the total usage is 198 watts or 16.6 amps. Then, If I want to run Clearwater Ericas (rated at 60 watts consumption each), that is another 120 watts. Total wattage consumption would be 318. I realize I don't need every piece of heated gear, but if I wanted to, would I be able to?

I'm not great with electrics issues, so I may be looking at it all wrong.

Thanks.

Unless you have one w/840...

we run 2 sets of everything heated and 4 aux lights, plus heated seat/grips/GPS/radio/phone charger/Autocom/and have enough left over for a blender...

Thank you,

I've had several people tell me it would be fine. I just like to know that I am still in line. For sake of thinking worst case scenario, if I hook up every article of the gerbing line, including jacket liner, pant, gloves, and socks, the total usage is 198 watts or 16.6 amps. Then, If I want to run Clearwater Ericas (rated at 60 watts consumption each), that is another 120 watts. Total wattage consumption would be 318. I realize I don't need every piece of heated gear, but if I wanted to, would I be able to?

Short answer is yes. I have Ericas on my RTW (and they were on my K16). Ericas + heated gear was not a problem (not quite the full suit of Gerbings gear -- only jacket, gloves and insoles). Use your stuff normally, and of you ever get a battery warning light on the dash (doubtful), turn something off.

Archived