IGNORED

2014/2015 R1200RT Coolant Leak

hopz

Hello Friends.

Wanted to get a pulse on the Coolant Leak situation of the 14/15 bikes.

I recently bought a '14 and I am enjoying it very much. After a recent ride I was cleaning the bike and discovered a coolant leak from the weep hole on the left side. This leak was not trivial but a very large spray of dried coolant extending from the hole to the bottom of the engine and rearward a significant distance. I have photos I can share with interested parties.

I took the bike to my local dealer who took a rather casual look at it and declared it "Normal".

I do not consider it in any fashion "Normal". Most liquid cooled machines contain their liquids... that is normal... to me... not a leak.

I contacted BMW Motorrad, NA and after several days the answer I received was also "normal". Their reply was "so sorry but go to your dealer..."

Further conversation revealed that BMW NA does not and cannot talk to BMW engineers or others who may be able to shed some light on the "normal" coolant leak... and furthermore... go to your dealer.

I find this reply well-short of good customer relations support and I feel like it is another problem that is being swept under the bureaucratic rug... just go to the dealer...

So... if any of you would like to... please contact me with your Leak Story... good, bad, indifferent. I am compiling a list. Nothing planned to do with it yet... just making a list of those of us who had/have the leak. You can post here, post a Private Mail to me, or email me at bstovall735@gmail.com

ALL replies will be kept in strict confidence and no action using your information will the taken without notice to you.

Thanks.

Bob

P.S. I still love the bike, but I hate the way this is being dealt with.

It may not put your mind at ease, but there is a history of this on the wethead engines going back to the introduction of the GS for 2013.

While BMW was replacing the water pump in many of these at first it appears they are now telling dealers to inform the owner to put at least another 1000 miles on the bike to see if it disappears. So far I have not heard of cases where it got worse or didn't go away. Yes, it appears to fix itself. If in fact it goes away and isn't a problem down the road that would be what I would want mine to do. Having someone tear it down for a water pump is something I prefer to avoid.

Real...

I am very much aware of the numerous others who have the leak.

I am just asking those that have it now, or have had it and it stopped leaking to let me hear about it.

So far, I have been in touch with a fellow in one of the European countries who seems to have evidence that The Mothership was aware of the issue going back years, and apparently they have decided to simply label it "Normal".

You happy with the wait and see if it stops strategy? I'm not.

You happy with the wait and see if it stops strategy? I'm not.

I am happy with that strategy. I don't want anyone tearing my new engine apart unless that is the only way to fix it. If the vast majority of owners that do experience this water pump seepage have it go away and not return I consider it normal enough to not be concerned.

I don't think the actual volume of coolant is very much. It just makes a mess where it can be seen as it spreads over the hot engine and dries, leaving the chemicals behind. For the record, this is not a BMW exclusive issue. V Strom Suzukis are known to do this also. They have a drip tube that allows the coolant to drain under the engine. Most of them seem to quit right away also.

On the other hand mine isn't doing it yet. I respect your concern for it on your bike and don't mean to make it sound like I think you are obsessing over it! I hope whatever happens to make it quit comes quickly for you! They really are a very nice machine.

Afternoon Bob

With BMW, IF it is normal, then have your BMW dealer show you the service advisory or service bulletin that states it is normal.

BMW dealers can't just make things up on their own & be blessed by BMW. So IF it is normal, & BMW says it is normal, then your dealer should have a service bulletin stating it is normal.

Hello hopz

Sorry for your troubles. Just remember that the bike is under warranty. Add another 500 miles (let the vendor know about it in a letter/email) and if it hasn't stopped, get them to fix it under warranty.

Multiple Users have reported that their bikes stopped leaking completely after a while, pointing towards seals that took some time to seat properly.

Don't let this spoil your enjoyment.

I think I better get clear about a few things... lest this subject get out of hand.

I am very happy with my bike and there is very little I would change... so far. Seat needs attention and a minor week of the handlebars would be nice but those are personal.

Some of my beef with BMW is related to the process involved in reporting the leak... not so much the leak itself. The local dealer did the right things and they will take care of things if needed. But, calling it normal is off-putting. I would have preferred some empathy and concern.

The response from BMW Motorrad NA is my main beef.

I understand what you are saying. To simply say it is normal sucks. The dealer says this because BMW tells them to. It obviously isn't normal and hopefully it goes away after some mileage. Embarrassing to have coolant leaking and drying all over the bike.

Paul In Australia

My dealer never said it was "normal"

Simply that some have seals that leak for a while until they bed in and if it doesn't they would change it over.

My dealer has only used the term " normal" once and that was when I was telling him how much fun the GS is.

Maybe it is " normal" that some leak a bit for a while???

Best regards

Paul

Hi Paul

My son now lives in Brisbane (North Lake).

I am trying to talk my wife into taking a trip on the bikes up there soon.

• 4 months later...

After reading this post yesterday, I checked my RT, just under 1000 miles and mine is weeping I drove it over to the dealer and same response. The GM and the mechanic looked at it. Normal, watch it and if it gets worse bring it back. The mechanic did tell me that BMW put a small sponge in that area to absorb the coolant and not to alarm the customer. The GM of the dealership is a friend so I assume he is being straight with me. He did say that he has only had one other RT come back with this issue and told that individual the same thing and he has not seen him back. I topped of the antifreeze and will watch the level.

So here is hoping it stops. But since it is under warranty I'm not to worried. I do find it strange that I have never had a water cooled vehicle do this.

Dave

I do find it strange that I have never had a water cooled vehicle do this.

With the tiny amount on liquid that these bikes seem to initially weep, I wonder if anyone could possibly ever even find such a weep in a car or a truck where the water pump is buried deep in the engine bay.

My 14 RTW had a small leak that was discovered by the mechanic while doing the 600mi (actually at 1000mi) service. He went ahead and changed the water pump and I have not seen any blue stain at the weep hole since. I'm at 8,000 mi now. The mechanic told me he has only seen a couple of these on the new RT or GS. I probably wouldn't be too concerned short term but if it continues to need the coolant reservoir filled I would be back at the dealership looking for a new water pump. It's great that this new engine doesn't use any oil. You shouldn't need to worry about the coolant level constantly.

Archived