IGNORED

Grip Replacement...

JimGullen

Good evening!

I think I'm going to try to replace the grips on my RT. I've ordered two RHS grips (to go over the heating elements as indicated over on advrider).

I know to go slow in peeling/slicing the old grips off...

I'm wondering if it's better to have the grips/bike cold so that the adhesive between the grip and element is more brittle or if it's better to have the grips warm so the adhesive would be somewhat less brittle...or does it not really matter?

Anyone have any thoughts or experience?

Best regards!

Jim

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I found that a phillips screwdriver, as slender as possible and up to 8" long did a very quick job of breaking the bond. The trick with rubbers that are bonded, is to try to get a peel failure as that is a much lower stress failure mode.

Slip the screwdriver in and roll in one direction or the other.

Some adhesives give up the ghost at cold but many get stronger. If it is gummy, assume weaker at cold as a good rule of thumb.

Doesn't matter. The problem is the carrier for the ultra-thin wires (the dark yellow stuff you'll encounter as you peel back the grip ribber) is old/dried out/brittle. I wouldn't do the job when the temps were near freezing, but anything higher will work. Really no choice but to go *very* slow and stop at the first hint of the wire lifting from the tube, then micro-working the rubber around that spot to get the rubber to release.

Don't let all the warnings scare you -- with reasonable care the rubber part of the grip separates cleanly.

I haven't tried it on heated grips, but the best way to get regular grips to separate is to shoot some compressed air between the grip and the handlebar. It breaks the adhesive and expands the grip so you can pull it right off.

Thanks Guys!

Mission accomplished.

Total Time: ~20 minutes (from grabbing the first tool to putting the last tool away)

Level of Difficulty: About the same as an oil change.

I was able to remove the old grips with no discernible trauma to the heating elements. As noted in other places, it appears that the only adhesive was at the ends of the grip, and that released very easily. There was a very little bit of rubber remaining on the last 1-2mm where it tore away from the grip. I was able to clean that up a with some very careful use of the X-Acto knife. This went MUCH easier than I expected. I find it hard to believe that this isn't something that would be "sanctioned" by BMW to have their techs do.

A few spritzs of hairspray and the new grips slid right on. Reinstalled the end-weights, started up the the bike and the throttle worked fine and grips heated up.

Feels like a brand new bike! (I don't need no steenkin' wet head! :grin: )

If I knew it would be this easy I would have done this years ago. No need to mess with "Beemer Buddies" (Grip covers).

It will be interesting to see if the next time I try this it goes as easily since there is hairspray all along the grip whereas this time the adhesive was only at the ends.

Best regards!

Jim

It will be interesting to see if the next time I try this it goes as easily since there is hairspray all along the grip whereas this time the adhesive was only at the ends.

Afternoon Jim

You shouldn't have any issues next time, I have been using hair spray for years & it seems to hold good enough but release fairly easily when the (next) time comes.

Jim-

Glad that went smooth.

I didn't realize this was even an option, and had been assuming I'd need to eventually spring for expensive new setups from BMW. I have not yet done the appropriate searching of the archives on this topic, but in short, did you just remove original heated grips as described and replace them with new ones from BMW, or which grips did you use?

Greetings, GMC!

I followed the procedure as described on Advrider.com.

I replaced the worn grips with new OEM BMW grips. You need to replace both sides with throttle side grips to accommodate the added diameter caused by the heating element. The part number for the throttle side grip is: BMW part # 32721458396- Right Grooved Handle. If I remember correctly, this is actually a grip from an R1100R.

My experience was almost exactly the same as described on Advrider.com. I sliced the folded-over portion of the grip along the removal axis for both grips (The gentleman on Advrider didn't try that until the second grip). My heating elements didn't seem to be particularly brittle and I ended up with less trauma to the heating element then Advrider did. I basically had none.

All in all, very easy and I won't hesitate to do this again when the time comes. I won't wait as long, either.

Best regards!

Jim

Thanks for the link very useful. Do you know if you can get increased outer diameter grips I feel the standard grips are a little small.

Thanks

Thanks for the link very useful. Do you know if you can get increased outer diameter grips I feel the standard grips are a little small.

Greetings, Alba!

That's a great question and I don't know an answer. The one thing I liked about having "Beemer Buddies" over my old grips was the increased grip diameter. Now that I'm just back to grips, it does feel a little skinny.

In researching what to do about my worn out grips, I found a number of references to "Grip Puppies", which at the time looked like an aesthetically elegant cover to put over grips either worn or new. The Beemer Buddies I had weren't particularly "good looking".

The person on Advrider installed some aftermarket grips, perhaps there are options there for larger outside diameter grips, but I don't know of any.

I also thought of wrapping my grips with tennis racket grip tape, but I haven't tried that.

Best regards!

Jim

I got a set of *these* from Ted's Beemer Shop and liked them. Less than OEM by a wide margin.

If holding throttle steady is a problem, look into Cramp Buster. It's a lever you can rest the heel of your hand on as you ride. I love mine.

If you are able to successfully remove the original grips w/o buggering up the heater wires (actually very easy with patience and Xacto knife), you can install any grips you want. Like the OP said, you will need two sets (two throttle side) of grips.

My personal favorite are Pro Grips "ralleye". I can't stand the stock skinny grips and the way they taper. I've also tried grip puppies and they are so fat, I fell like I am holding onto a soda can.

so sadly i discovered that they made a change sometime in 2003 and there is no yellow/ brown layer covering the elements, on mine the rubber was directly bonded to the tube and there was no cover over the thin wires... so peeling back the rubber also sepereted the wires

the heating elements are now rubbish... does anyone know the spec for the heating wire i at least need to try and replace it...

ouch!

I have an 03 RT, but the manufacture date on the VIN is '02.... So how confident are you that the change happened some time in '03? Just wondering whether I should try pulling my grips for replacement. I suppose I could just peel them back slightly and take a look...

so sadly i discovered that they made a change sometime in 2003 and there is no yellow/ brown layer covering the elements, on mine the rubber was directly bonded to the tube and there was no cover over the thin wires... so peeling back the rubber also sepereted the wires

the heating elements are now rubbish... does anyone know the spec for the heating wire i at least need to try and replace it...

AnotherLee

Santa -

I got my supplies from Amazon & ebay.

From Amazon:

CS Hyde High Temperature Fiberglass Tape With Silicone Adhesive, Ivory 1/2 inch x 36 yards

From ebay:

1 item sold byrobert44654

20 feet 28 gauge Resistance Nichrome Wire

Archived