IGNORED

Trany oil

Schnell

So here's a subject I'm sure has never been discussed on this board, transmission oil. Ok, so I've read the write up Jamie & Les created on "Oil, Tranny, and Final Drive Walkthrough. They list the oil to be used "SAE 90 API GL 5 hypoid lubricant". My question is who makes it and where can I get it (Wal-Mart maybe?)

Thanks;

Ken

Clive Liddell
So here's a subject I'm sure has never been discussed on this board, transmission oil. Ok, so I've read the write up Jamie & Les created on "Oil, Tranny, and Final Drive Walkthrough. They list the oil to be used "SAE 90 API GL 5 hypoid lubricant". My question is who makes it and where can I get it (Wal-Mart maybe?)

Thanks;

Ken

There have been various "favourite" oils suggested. I have had NO problems using what BMW (and Jamie & Les) recommend.

I use REDLINE Heavy Duty and am quite satisfied with the results.
In my R1100RT's tractor-style gearbox I used REDLINE Heavy. I liked it, but in cold weather, around freezing, it got a bit stiff. The R1150's six-speed box is much nicer shifting. I have in my '02 R1150R now Amsoil 75/90, and it shifts VERY nicely. I would prefer any synthetic 75/90 or 75/140 oil over the REDLINE Heavy.
I use REDLINE Heavy Duty and am quite satisfied with the results.
In my R1100RT's tractor-style gearbox I used REDLINE Heavy. I liked it, but in cold weather, around freezing, it got a bit stiff. The R1150's six-speed box is much nicer shifting. I have in my '02 R1150R now Amsoil 75/90, and it shifts VERY nicely. I would prefer any synthetic 75/90 or 75/140 oil over the REDLINE Heavy.

OK, so this is for both Ed and Paul (I'd say "ol' fart", but it seems to apply to both you guys - and maybe me too wink.gif).

Mobil has both 75W/90 and 75W/140 syn's, and Redline markets those as "gear oils", and a "shockproof" line including those plus the "heavy" (75W/250) oils. I'm wondering if the difference between the selections isn't just viscosity. I'm sure Redline and Mobil both make fine synthetics. And there SHOULD be a heck of a difference between a 75W/90 and 75W/250 gear oils. Using 75W/90 instead of SAE 90 might mean better shifting cold (less resistance), or clunkier shifting (less lubrication). Using 75W/140 instead of SAE 90 should produce better lubricated shifting at high temps. 75W/250 instead of SAE 90 should work really, really well in Death Vally during the heat of summer. grin.gif But for winter temps .... ??

Ed, did you put Mobil 1 75/140 in both the tranny and final drive? Paul, did you use the same grade in both applications?

Thanks a bunch!

I never used the REDLINE Heavy in the rear drive. There were some reports here in the forum that the Redline in the rear drive foamed and pushed out through the top air vent. The rear drive just needs the best quality oil you can find (I think all the top brand synthetics are good) so hopefully it lasts longer. Different oils in the rear drive do not change the function or feel of the bike like different oils in the gearbox do.

They list the oil to be used "SAE 90 API GL 5 hypoid lubricant". My question is who makes it and where can I get it?

"Bel Ray Hypoid 90 - The Gear Saver". I get it at my local motorcycle dealer.

What the spec calls for and all I've ever used since 1991.

ShovelStrokeEd

Scott,

Yeah, I use it on both. Same brand in the crankcase, BTW, but 15w50 of course.

My reason for its selection was just as stated, It is lighter when cold and thicker when hot than the straight 90w. It also must be a bit slicker as I noticed a substatial decrease in fuel consumption. On the order of 1.5 mpg after the switch from the BMW product. Shifting was slicker than snot on a doorknob as well.

Thanks for including me with Paul, I'm a proud, soon to be "old fart".

Sombody correct my spelling/grammer on this, isn't that Viejo Pedorro or the like?

Thanks for including me with Paul, I'm a proud, soon to be "old fart".

Sombody correct my spelling/grammer on this, isn't that Viejo Pedorro or the like?

My ex, as term of endearment, would whisper "viejo pellon con grande panzon", i.e., bald headed man w/big stomach. I suspicioned she was thinking of an other, some unnamed bald headed fat man and not me slender hirsute self.

Wooster, hombre forte (OK, so I don't know Spanish)

Thanks;

Ken

If you go synthetic, then 75w-140 is the closest viscosity match to the straight 90w BMW's call for. Most 75w-90s are on the thin side. In my bikes I use Schaeffer's 80w-90 because it contains 2% moly. Redline also makes great gear oils and will make your gear box feel less clunky.

Been using 75w140 BMW Tranny oil in tranny and rear end for quite a whilethumbsup.gif....certainly noticed the difference in gearchanges!

75w140 may also be the best way to go if you live in a warmer part of the country too....

Been using 75w140 BMW Tranny oil in tranny and rear end for quite a whilethumbsup.gif....certainly noticed the difference in gearchanges!

75w140 may also be the best way to go if you live in a warmer part of the country too....

I'll second this. It's what was included in the "12,000 mile service kit" I ordered from Sierra BMW. Says "BMW" in big letters, and that it's made by Spectro in very fine print. Tranny shifts much, much better than it did with whatever the factory fill was.

Archived