IGNORED

Italy Ride Report: Chianti, Cinque Terre, Milan

Tim Laing

Pictures

I jhave just got back from the first of what I hope to be several long rides over the summer. This one saw 7 days, 2,500 km., no rain, and temperatures that most of Canada will not see until well into April. Riding in Italy in MArch was superb. There were days when I felt like I had the entire country to myself. Last Sunday, riding 200+ miles around Chianti Classico region, into and around Montalcino, Siena, and Montepulciano saw stretches of roads where I did not encounter another car or bike for miles on end. On Thursday, riding north to Milan from the sea, again, miles on end of winding roads with virtually not another soul to be seen.

Before this week I would have never guessed that one could be tired of roads with too many corners, but more than once last week, I was happy to finish my day with a quick run o nthe Auto Strade, straight, fast, with good visibility, just to unwind a bit before getting home.

And are the Italians quick... both the riders and the bikes. Plenty of red and yellow Ducattis waiting to blow by me at every corner, usually with a wave.

Going home, through the alps, stopping at St. Moritz for a quick coffee - at a five star hotel, of course wink.gif I do not think they are used to seeing bikers in leather in March.

So, next year, do not hesitate to get over here before a)the heat, and b)the tourists. The riding and the weather are both great!

Tim,

Wonderful pics. Brought back memories of a great trip. I spent 11 days in toscana 2 aprils ago. Stayed in cortona and greve in chianti in the town of volpia and visited the same towns as you did. It is truly wonderful. Coming back in april '04 for at least a month. The riders over there have skills that most of us only dream about.

grin.gif

Archived