IGNORED

Fisrt long trip thoughts on the wethead

Mike the Ghoul

Mike the Ghoul

We took our first long ride on the 2014 last week. We had picked it up in October and with the bad winter we had haven't really had a chance to put too many miles on it. This last week we took it to Atlanta for a conference I attended. Altogether it was about 1200 miles. To set the stage some background info on the trip. We left in 38* weather and it dropped to 36* with a high of 47-50* that first day. My SO had her seat on and gerbings jacket liner on, and I had the grips on most of the day. No issues.

The return, 6 days later, trip started in 52* weather and it got to 60* by that first afternoon. We had decided to do it in three days and stop to see things along the way. The second day was still cool in the am but warmed up by the time we left to about 60 and climbed to 75 or so by the time we had stopped. We got stuck in a 1.5 hour traffic delay in the heat. Then stopped for the evening. The last day was cool with us leaving in 46* and it never got higher than 52* till we got home. Bright and sunny at least and no rain at all.

Some thoughts on the bike as compared to my old 99RT:

The seating position is very similar to the 99. The bars are at the right distance from me. The pegs are nicely located beneath me with a little crimp in my knees and hips. In this position I find it easier to keep a straight back rather than hunching over as I often did on the 99. On that one I had to keep reminding myself to sit up. On this one I don't.

I use the seat in the high position. When using the two up esa setting, the peg to seat distance is good, but the ground to seat distance is too tall for me. I have to really tip toe to reach. I am about 5'8" with a 30" inseam. In the one up ESA setting it is doable. When in low seat position, seat to ground distance is good, but seat to peg distance feels too cramped, bothering my hip joints.

I was surprised at the cruise control. I originally thought it would be a useless add on, but it came with the package. I found that I feel like I am in more control. I can cover the brake better and am relaxed and ready for action. Also in group riding it is easier for those following me to stay with me as I am more consistent. I used it about 90% of the time on the highway.

I like the added gas mileage over the 99, the computer says 44.6 mph. But I find it harder to gauge when to stop pumping with the deep tunnel in the tank.

I use the windscreen in 2/3 position and seems just about right. The height is good but there is a little more wind on my upper arms. SO says the same thing. Not sure if I will go for a aftermarket. The rides I took solo I kept it in the low position. More wind on my helmet but it was fairly quiet and very smooth. It will be good for summer riding I think.

The seat is surprisingly not terrible. The longest stint was three and a half hours. I didn't get monkey butt or anything like that. SO said the same thing. It was cool not hot and we were wearing riding pants. So I still need to see how that goes. I am thinking of getting a Corbin.

The power is awesome.

The tranny is still clunky but I am used to that and no problem.

Water cooled was nice in 1.5 hour stop and go traffic with creeping along at 3-5 mph. Clutch got a little wonky but not as bad as the 99, which chattered in similar situations.

The worry of smaller bags was not as bad as I thought. We are using a larger givi trunk 55l. Adding luggage to top of bags is not as easy as the 99 finding attachment points but I am working that out. I have a fear of scratching the painted panels on side bags with the luggage (dry bags strapped on top of the saddlebags). I am actually thinking of removing the painted sections to see if I can use the bags with only the black plastic exposed. I'll see if that can be done and if it helps.

The handgrips feel smaller diameter. Not an issue.

I would like to have a few things be easier to access rather than through the grip multi controller wheel. Things like zeroing out the trip meter when getting gas and having immediate access to the heated grips. It’s a little bit of a hassle going through the menus but not all that bad.

I got a lot more compliments on the bikes looks than the 99.

That's about it. I am really glad I bought the bike. I love it.

mike

Nice write up Mike

One more thing.

No more oil dance to check the engine oil level.

Just park it upright and give it a minute before looking.

As a matter of fact, it's now a waist of time to check, as you just won't find it being low in oil between oil changes.

The consumption is now negligible.

Nice write up and sounds like you enjoyed your ride!

You can save going thru the menu to get to the trip reset. Push the menu rocker switch up (triangle)it goes to your favorite (setting on page 50 in the manual)

Enjoy the ride

Jay

Yes, good write-up. My first long ride was last fall to the Black Hills, I think about 2300 miles. Our last day ride was a little over 700 miles from Valentine NE to Cedarburg WI. I just have to stop about every 150 miles or so, my left MCL knee area gets cramped after about 100 miles. Stretching my legs out helps.

Yep, incredible power, and I love the bike, when the engine oil is hot there is a clunk shifting into first gear, but I think that's normal. My R75/5 clunks louder. There is a little bit of vibration in the mirrors between about 2700-2900rpms, but not objectionable. I think that's in the middle to upper 50s in top gear, by 60mph everything is perfectly smooth. Mileage for the entire trip was 56.7mpg, very happy with that. Can't wait for the weather to break so I can get back out there.

Jeff

Hey guys, I just went out for a chilly 48F ride and realized I was wrong on those rpms. I was working out in the garden and heard all those Harleys out. 3250rpms is indicated 60mph, and 3000rpms is indicated 55mph. Under 60mph there's minor vibration in the mirrors but it doesn't bother me.

Serious lake effect here 7 miles from Lake Michigan, next to the lake it's colder in the 30s, and at Madison 70 miles west it's about 70F.

Archived