IGNORED

Prevailing opinion of Wethead owners, Should I get one?

w2ge

Guys this is close to hijacking a thread.

I appreciate the replies, but I'll end it by saying that I fully understand how to pair my Sena to GPS and phone. It is already working fine. What I stated was that I didn't like the fact I cannot pair BMW music system with my Sena. I'm not interested in buying any other equipment to do so. I have a fully functioning system for ALL the other bikes. Thanks for your concern though.

Now back to the thread.

I love this new 2015 RTW!

MB>

Guys this is close to hijacking a thread.

I appreciate the replies, but I'll end it by saying that I fully understand how to pair my Sena to GPS and phone. It is already working fine. What I stated was that I didn't like the fact I cannot pair BMW music system with my Sena. I'm not interested in buying any other equipment to do so. I have a fully functioning system for ALL the other bikes. Thanks for your concern though.

Now back to the thread.

I love this new 2015 RTW!

MB>

I have my Sena SMH10R pared via Bluetooth with the BWM audio system. No problems. I'm able to listen to Sirius, etc. and Nav V voice prompts on the Sena (the Nav V is not paired with the Sena -- it works through the audio system). You can only pair one Sena device, however; so, I have to share audio from my Sena to my passengers'.

• 3 weeks later...

2014 RT >> It's the best I've ever owned...but I would not say I am wowed. My '07 RT: Better all around feel; '12 Honda st1300: superior powerplant; '09 st1100 terrific all around but stagnant. The new RT does everything well. Not a game changer by any means, but very good.

I have 376 miles on my 2015 RT. I am coming off of a 2008 K1200GT and I feel like I've come home after a serious remodel. The great nimble handling, comfortable seat position, and the boxer growl wrap themselves around me and say GO!. Having a lot of trouble keeping the RPMs under 5k but I will do it cause I want to keep this machine for a long time. I enjoyed the power of the K bike, but this is what a BMW is for me. BTW, this is my 3rd RT and the lineage is strong.

As for the audio system, bought a Sena 20S. Got the firmware up to vers 1.5 and pairing is reliable along with my I-phone. No nav system. TUNES YAH!

Coming from a 2013 Triumph Trophy, this new 2015 RTW is not bad at all. Pros: lighter, better gas mileage, side cases are easier to use. Has more standard features like heated grips/seats. Ease of ESA. Cons: HP, wind protection and cost of owning. So would I recommend one, you bet! I am not one to fret over cost of riding. There are hobbies out there that cost way more and give less enjoyment IMHO!!! Not to mention, the Mrs. LOVES to go for rides. And interesting on how most enjoy their music. We use a iPod with our own music. Custom ear microphones. Works perfect and lasts all day! Hopefully we will see you out there on the road!

Turned 19,000 miles this week and could not be happier. Came off of an R1100 RT and there is a world of difference between the two bikes. The bike came with PR4's and get about 10,000 miles per set. No mechanical difficulties and no measurable oil consumption. Have checked the valves twice and still within spec.

Once you get used to the menus adjusting hand grip and seat heat sound system and other on the road changes becomes almost intuitive. The motor has a wide power band, even in 6th gear at highway speeds there is good role on power.

Absolutely love the wet clutch. For some reason shifting takes a little getting used to but once mastered becomes second nature.

It is certainly more money than other sport touring choices out there but well worth it.

• 1 month later...

Just picked up my 2016 RT a week or so ago and have put on 420 miles. Hey, it's cold here. Just a few thoughts: seat is rock hard to me coming out of a RDL; my wife agrees. I think a new saddle is in order before we take off on a long trip. Riding posture for some reason, unknown to me, is better than my '11 RT. I don't get this gnawing pain between my shoulder blades, thus far. The seat is much lower and that is a plus for me with a 32" inseam. Can easily flatfoot it at stops. Can't say the tranny and clutch are better. The shift assist works great downshifting, not so great upshifting. Electronics are all neat, but my '11 had a lot of those, too. Handling is good and I like it. Much quicker steering and responsive than my '11 and just as stable. Easier to handle at low speeds, like negotiating around parking lots. Wind protection is marginally better and you can see that the fairing is broader. Wind noise is a little less, but it is still hard to hear the radio at 75-80 mph. That's it in my opinion. Oh, forgot to mention the motor- nice punchy engine. Not sold on the throttle by wire, but that's the way they all will be in this brave, new world.

Larry

Wait till the break in period passes. Mine's just starting to come alive at 2600mi... The seat has gotten noticeably softer. And the shifting is great with just a tic of the clutch and smooth throttle. Tried all manners and fashions to get the Sena 10 linked to the radio. No dice. Ive got another cure though.

We'll see you at the Un in Montana? :wave:

MB>

Well, here's an interesting thing.

This isn't meant to be a swipe at anyone who has the new bike. It is just to help folk who are in a quandary about it to consider some of the bikes weaknesses.

I have an old 1150RT and love the looks of the new RT LC.

I have ridden a few of them before and they are astounding bikes. However because I was never in a position to buy one, I overlooked the minutiae of details that effect me in day to day usage.

Here's the thing. I went to my FANTASTIC dealer (CW Motorcycles -Dorchester) with my cheque book. They had a FULLY stacked ebony that I was going to buy.

So, I took it for a test ride and had a whole load of doubts start stacking up.

When I took it back I had to say, “no, sorry, it is not the bike for me”.

The power delivery is epic and gets top marks.

But, it’s not all about the engine is it.

Town work was cumbersome with the dreadful gearbox clunking at every gear change, in such a way that mothers grab their children to shelter their ears. I do like the quick shift and the hill start assist though.

The radio performance (through the speakers) is well below expectation.

Riding adjustments seem to take so many stabs of the mode select and wonder wheel to get where you want.

Rider modes always seemed harsh even when set to rain / soft the bike seemed to crash over the UK's poorly surfaced roads (in comparison to my Ohlins equipped RT).

The screen was sort of OK, but the Seat is a joke. It is rock hard and slides you forward and although not visible to the eye, seems to have a ridge across it.

Pillion commented much the same about the firmness of the seat and also the ease with which she seemed to slide forward on it.

The indicator switch - Who sanctioned the demise of the left for left, right for right buttons on the earlier RT's? It requires significant thumb movement to actuate the switch.

Even worse was the hi beam/low beam dip switch! This does not fall naturally to hand and should do. Especially if you have your bike equipped with eye melting lights such as Darla/Erica etc.

The wonder wheel forces all important controls too far along the handlebar. The horn switch should be converted to the hi beam control to improve things.

Disappointed with the hysteresis of the cruise control. In everyday riding I was experiencing something like a 5mph speed variation before the bike catches up. So, for example on the level with the control set to 50mph, we come to an incline and the speed can drop to 45 before it is trying to bring the speed back to the set value. Likewise once you have crested a hill and start to go down the other side the bike overspeeds a few mph before closing the throttle sufficiently. My cars don't do this. so why should the bike with all the electronic comm’s between the wheel speed sensors, throttle position, and ignition loops!

Also disappointed that removal of the top box required the contents of the box to be removed and the floor to be lifted.

Storage space for everyday touring junk is lacking too.

The side stand is awkward to retract and the foot is somewhat small.

Disappointing that the satnav is not lockable.

So for now, my old 1150 will have to roll some more miles.

Damn Andys,

my hold back other than going to a WC bike again is that they have yet to put colors on it that I want to pay for. That blue they got now would look spectacular on a Versa... where is our true black, red, or even white? I would love a blue like my Z4 has, but twice they had had blues and both just don't work for me

Also disappointed that removal of the top box required the contents of the box to be removed and the floor to be lifted.

Not-so-brilliant design for pricey touring luggage, but they probably expect you to buy their pricey box liner, too.

W

The indicator switch - Who sanctioned the demise of the left for left, right for right buttons on the earlier RT's? It requires significant thumb movement to actuate the switch.

Not to hijack this thread, just an observation here. I personally would love to have the single indicator switch like I had on my Kawi. Two reasons: 1. I have short thumbs and it makes it difficult to reach the right switch without moving my hand around on the throttle, 2. I don't want my right hand doing anything but manipulating the throttle and front brakes. Anything else is a distraction. Just my $.02 worth. That said, I'd probably love that feature of this bike.

Not to hijack this thread, just an observation here. I personally would love to have the single indicator switch like I had on my Kawi. Two reasons: 1. I have short thumbs and it makes it difficult to reach the right switch without moving my hand around on the throttle, 2. I don't want my right hand doing anything but manipulating the throttle and front brakes. Anything else is a distraction. Just my $.02 worth. That said, I'd probably love that feature of this bike.
Add the space that the multi-function scroll wheel takes up and it is a reach for even longer thumbs. I most times have to move my left hand to activate the switch.

Frank

Well, here's an interesting thing.

This isn't meant to be a swipe at anyone who has the new bike. It is just to help folk who are in a quandary about it to consider some of the bikes weaknesses.

I have an old 1150RT and love the looks of the new RT LC.

I have ridden a few of them before and they are astounding bikes. However because I was never in a position to buy one, I overlooked the minutiae of details that effect me in day to day usage.

Here's the thing. I went to my FANTASTIC dealer (CW Motorcycles -Dorchester) with my cheque book. They had a FULLY stacked ebony that I was going to buy.

So, I took it for a test ride and had a whole load of doubts start stacking up.

When I took it back I had to say, “no, sorry, it is not the bike for me”.

The power delivery is epic and gets top marks.

But, it’s not all about the engine is it.

Town work was cumbersome with the dreadful gearbox clunking at every gear change, in such a way that mothers grab their children to shelter their ears. I do like the quick shift and the hill start assist though.

The radio performance (through the speakers) is well below expectation.

Riding adjustments seem to take so many stabs of the mode select and wonder wheel to get where you want.

Rider modes always seemed harsh even when set to rain / soft the bike seemed to crash over the UK's poorly surfaced roads (in comparison to my Ohlins equipped RT).

The screen was sort of OK, but the Seat is a joke. It is rock hard and slides you forward and although not visible to the eye, seems to have a ridge across it.

Pillion commented much the same about the firmness of the seat and also the ease with which she seemed to slide forward on it.

Even worse was the hi beam/low beam dip switch! This does not fall naturally to hand and should do. Especially if you have your bike equipped with eye melting lights such as Darla/Erica etc.

The wonder wheel forces all important controls too far along the handlebar. The horn switch should be converted to the hi beam control to improve things.

Disappointed with the hysteresis of the cruise control. In everyday riding I was experiencing something like a 5mph speed variation before the bike catches up. So, for example on the level with the control set to 50mph, we come to an incline and the speed can drop to 45 before it is trying to bring the speed back to the set value. Likewise once you have crested a hill and start to go down the other side the bike overspeeds a few mph before closing the throttle sufficiently. My cars don't do this. so why should the bike with all the electronic comm’s between the wheel speed sensors, throttle position, and ignition loops!

Storage space for everyday touring junk is lacking too.

The side stand is awkward to retract and the foot is somewhat small.

Disappointing that the satnav is not lockable.

So for now, my old 1150 will have to roll some more miles.

+1

My list varies from this gents, but bottom line for me is, too many annoyances, too few charms.

I do agree with his criticism of the gearbox and ride quality.

I owned 2, a LCGS and a LCRT

The RT has been sold, the GS is for sale.

I rather agree, but to me the pluses outweigh the negatives. I have about 600 miles on my '16 having picked it up a couple of weeks ago. I have an '11 RT (which is for sale) and I really like the bike. I equipped it with Ohlins suspension and a RDL saddle and it was a superb long distance rider. I think the '11 build quality is better than the '16. The new one has a lot of unpainted plastic on it and when you look close it looks a little cheap. And the transmission is not as good as the '11, which I thought was excellent even without a slipper clutch and shift assist. There's not much difference in the controls, except the wonder wheel gets a lot more functions. Seat is rock hard and my wife agrees.

But that motor is just fantastic. Punchy and torquey and responsive; I just love it. And I think the wind protection is better; the lower saddle height suits me well me being of only average stature. Riding position is better; I haven't experienced that nagging pain between my shoulder blades that I get on the '11. Can't figure out why either. The bike handles great with the stock suspension ESA, as good as the Ohlins equipped '11. Maybe a little firmer in the Normal setting. Steering is quicker without any apparent loss in stability. I think BMW did a good job with the handling. (I wonder if they will phase out the Telelever front end.)

Just some thoughts.

(I wonder if they will phase out the Telelever front end.)

I hope not.

I am going to add that I very much like the Telelever. Yes, I understand it may not be as fast on a track as other designs. Having ridden a couple bikes similar to an RT with conventional forks I found I very much missed the Telelever. Mainly due to the reduced brake dive. In the real world I think the Telelever is more stable over rough pavement and bumps. I like the more secure feel of it.

Absolutely agree Terry.

Hi Spec conventional forks are fine on lightweight bikes with little suspension movement and repeatable conditions (like a race track). But, for a heavyweight Tourer with reasonable suspension travel that has to cope with all road conditions I feel they are the business!

(I wonder if they will phase out the Telelever front end.)

If they phase it out then give us the front end off the K1300GT, that duolever was simply amazing.

Yes, The Duolever seems to be a logical evolution of the Telelever - loosing none of the advantages. And gets rid of the sliding tubes which must be good.

So count me in on that one!

Yes, The Duolever seems to be a logical evolution of the Telelever - loosing none of the advantages. And gets rid of the sliding tubes which must be good.

Careful what you wish for. I know of at least one K16GT that was dumped (traded) due to the dreaded Duolever squeak.

<

Pat

Well, indeed sometimes things go wrong.

Looking at the way that bike moved under him, it looked like he had a serious problem with a linkage seized.

I still like both systems but think the Duolever is more refined and elegant. (just make sure the bearings are lubed and adjusted correctly!).

Duolever may be nice to ride but it's not easy to maintain.

Bearings need attention and the last bike I which needed regular greasing on any suspension component was my 1988 Honda.

Worst of all, changing the front shock is a nightmare.

It may not amount to much for many, but with the roads we have here any OE shock will be toast by 40000km and aftermarket ones will need servicing every two years.

Paralever may not be as easy to service as a conventional fork, but I'll take it over Duolever any day.

I don't even want to know how much a dealer would charge for that...

In my case they replaced some of the bushings in the suspension (not exactly sure which ones) at approximately 13,000 miles.

This required disassembling the entire front end of the bike, thank god for warrantees! :eek: I left the dealership and before I got home, the squeak was back. (25 miles)

I'm not sure if they (BMW) found the issue with the bushings and corrected it, they may have.

It was a fine handling machine but after one attempt at a fix I thought it was best to move on.

Pat

Archived