IGNORED

A Curious Question About H-7 Headlight Bulbs

Michael B

Greetings all, and Happy Easter!

Have a 2011 RT with two burned out low beam headlights that take H-7 replacement bulbs. I already had ordered them from Candlepower, Inc. some time ago. In the box were two different H-7 bulbs. One was made in Germany by NARVA and was 55 watt. The others were made by OSRAM, were 65 watt, and had a warning on the side of the box "Off road only! Nor for use on public roads!" So, why can't I use the OSRAM bulbs for touring...curious? And, any problem using 65 watt bulbs rather than 55 watt in my RT?

One other thing: I have 43,000+ on the RT and this is the second time that both low beam bulbs burned out within a day of each other. Why does that happen...CanBus unhappy?

Thanks for your always good responses.

The Rocketman

No problem running 65w bulbs in your bike. I replaced all 3 H7's (2 low beams & 1 high beam) in my '09RT with Osram Rallye 65W Ultra High Output Special Service H7 Headlight Bulbs and the running lights Osram MiniXen 2886X Parking light Bulbs. Got mine from Candlepower too. Have no issues with anything since installed (except for breaking one of the H7 wire retention clips, but that's a disaster story for another day!)

CanBus has nothing to do with them wearing out. Just vibration and age. There are different quality H7's in the world. I guess some just last longer than others, and some are built more heavy-duty for shock, vibration, etc. Mine are new, so I have no data on longevity yet, but took the advice of folks from this site when I bought the replacements.

I've had both low beams burn out simultaneously on startup, so it does happen. After having so-called extra bright H-7s last all of thirty days before failing, I've used regular old H-7s (55W) ever since. Can't comment on that 65W that you have, but I assume the point they're making with the warning is that it would be too bright for oncoming traffic.

Guest Kakugo

The 65W bulb is the famous H7/H9 hybrid. My brother uses them on his GS: lasts much longer than ordinary H7 bulbs.

Why does it happen? H7's aren't the best for longevity and Hexhead/Camhead bikes don't go easy on them.

. The others were made by OSRAM, were 65 watt, and had a warning on the side of the box "Off road only! Nor for use on public roads!" So, why can't I use the OSRAM bulbs for touring...curious? And, any problem using 65 watt bulbs rather than 55 watt in my RT?

Afternoon Michael

Technically, using 65 watt bulbs in a 55 watt (on road) application is illegal as it doesn't meet DOT tested specs. So most non DOT approved lights are marked (off road uses only) as a disclaimer against legal fallout in case the person using those bulbs is ticketed, or has a accident, or other problems, so the bulb manufacturer doesn't end up in the lawsuit.

I haven't ever seen anybody actually ticketed for running slightly brighter bulbs but the threat is always there if you are involved in an accident & the other party's legal guru's can prove that your vehicle was running non DOT approved (or basically illegal) lighting that could be suggested that it blinded the other driver causing, or adding to, the accident. (might never happen but the threat is always present with non DOT approved vehicle lighting)

As far a the 65 watts goes, that won't be a problem on your BMW as the computer controlled lighting control system won't even notice the slightly extra load.

These are better and are available in the US. as soon as my H7 stock runs out I will get a few of these. Online feedback seems to be positive on longer life. Subject to rider habits.

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/vehicle-and-bicycle-lighting/cars/halogen-headlight-lamps-for-cars/ultra-life/index.jsp?productId=

That depends on your definition of "better". The bulbs you're referring to are longer life but if you want something that projects light further down the road, the the Osram Nightbreaker or Nightracer are better. The Nightracer is a motorcycle specific version of the nightbreaker that has additional vibration resistance. Curently, I have an Osram 65w in my RT's high beam, a nightraces in one low beam and a Philips Xtreme +130 in the other low beam. The Philips bulb is similar the nightbreaker but claims to have a life expectancy similar to an ordinary bulb. In my experience, the nightbraker and Philips Xtreme have a lifespan similar to more conventional bulbs. They're more expensive but I like the light output better.

The Osram 65w certainly puts out a lot of light but without a side by side comparison, I'm not ready to say that it projects that light any farther down the road than a nightbreaker or Xtreme.

I am bulb neophyte. Believe or not I have never had a bulb go out on any of the BMW's I've owned. However, this spring and summer will hold some long rides for me. Sounds like it might be wise for me to carry a spare bulb. This is what is called for in my OM H7 / 12 V / 55 W

What do you view as the maximum visibility bulb without annoying traffic, not withstanding DR's comment which I take seriously, and longest lasting bulb. May buy 1 of each.

Thanks in advance.

Morning David

If sticking to conventional H-7 type bulbs then the Osram rallye 65w h-7 seems to offer the best light output that doesn't trip the ZFE circuit breakers, doesn't blind oncoming cars, & believe it or not seem to last longer than the stock 55 watt bulbs.

The Osram rallye 65w h-7 is actually an H-9 bulb on an H-7 base so the filament isn't as tightly wound (that seems to somewhat improve bulb life)

The Osram rallye 65w h-7 isn't a legal headlight bulb in the U.S. but there sure are a lot of BMW 1200 riders using them.

If you want legal bulbs then you are going to have to make the choice of bulb life or light output. There are a number of LL (long life) H-7 bulbs out now but they run to low side of light output. On the other end you have the higher output H-7 bulbs & those tend to run to short side of bulb life.

Yesterday was totally frustrating! I attempted to replace both low beam bulbs with those slightly illegal 65W Osrams on my 2011 RT. After over an hour on just the left side (sitting on the bike), I gave up! Tried from the top, the bottom, the front, turned the handle bars...nothing worked. I couldn't even get a visual...everything by feel. Even dropped the bulb twice in the cavity and had to fish it out touching the bulb first...not good. With large 4X hands, job impossible! I spoke multiple nasty words to the headlight design engineer at BMW and would have cut his throat on first sight. There has to be a better way! Maintenance on every other bike item has been fairly easy, but not this job! Evil! I'm going to let my local bike repair shop do it.

Any suggestions? Same thing on all my other bikes were no problem. End of rant.

Morning Michael B

Easy solution is to ride on over to your BMW dealer. If they are friendly then a tec will install those bulbs in about 30 seconds per side for a cup of coffee & a smile.

Next best way is to find a mechanical adept friend with smaller hands.

I do the L/H side (shifter side) reaching in from the L/H side of the bike from the rear. It is basically done sight unseen

but I do look at the bulb to be sure it faces correctly before I poke it down in there.

On the right side I work from the front of bike reaching up over the fender. On that side I work sight unseen on the rear of bulb but look in through the front of headlight lens to align bulb in reflector hole.

Afterword's, a couple of band aids to repair the bloody spots on my hands & wrists then go riding.

Just remove the shrouds around the instruments. It puts everything into Plainview and you can look at what you're doing and it just takes minutes to remove that plastic. GT

++ bandaids. I've kind of got it down now because I've doe it without all the plastic so I can kind of visualize what's going on down there.

Archived