IGNORED

Final Drive Question

Sonor

Last night I noticed that there is leaking around the drain plug in my final drive. There also seems to be some leakage (though not confirmed) around the drive to the wheel. Does this mean that the drive is about to go? I will be taking it to my mechanic but I am just trying to budget for the next BMW tax if needed.

Last night I noticed that there is leaking around the drain plug in my final drive. There also seems to be some leakage (though not confirmed) around the drive to the wheel. Does this mean that the drive is about to go? I will be taking it to my mechanic but I am just trying to budget for the next BMW tax if needed.

Morning Sonor

No neither points to an "about to go" but both should be verified & if a problem is found it should be repaired BEFORE expensive damage results.

The drain plug seep is probably an easy fix but (IF) you really do have gear oil seeping out of the wheel side then you have impending issues as the wheel side is a dry area with the crown bearing is it's own sealed (oil free) chamber so there should NEVER be gear oil showing there. (if you really do have gear oil showing on the wheel side then you need to address it rather quickly)

Maybe the final drive was overfilled at one time (oil amount has been reduced per BMW service bulletin) but once oil starts seeping out of wheel side it then washes the grease out of the crown bearing)

With a recall coming on the 1200 final drive wheel flange you might get the leaks taken care of when you get the wheel flange updated.

Thank you so much for the response and making it clear for me (a non wrenching person). I really appreciate your response and willingness to assist.

• 2 weeks later...

Could also be a leaky seal on the speed sensor. I had oil on the wheel side on mine and I changed the speed sensor seal and drain plug seal when I did the refill on the final drive. That fixed it.

Could also be a leaky seal on the speed sensor. I had oil on the wheel side on mine and I changed the speed sensor seal and drain plug seal when I did the refill on the final drive. That fixed it.

Same thing happened to me. I drained the FD Oil,changed the speed sensor seal,put the right amount of oil back in.

No problem since

Archived