IGNORED

Question about bleeding clutch on an 02 R1150RT

TKNorCal

A Question about replacing the clutch fluid in an 2002 R11050RT. After replacing the grub screw with a bleeder valve, is there any reason not to use a Mityvac vacuum pump brake bleeder to pull the fluid from the reservoir; of course, adding fluid until fluid is clean and bubble free?

Thanks.

tkb

As I understand it, you will want to use the level action to pump the fluid through. This is to clean the piston of any accumulation of crud on it. It ensures the piston remains clear of pits, which will score the gasket and cause leaks.

(recent attendee of the Jamie brake bleed mini-tech day.)

Well, the clutch lever--unlike the brake lever--is pulled the full extent of travel almost every time it is used so this corrosion is much less likely to happen. I don't see why you couldn't use a "mighty-vac" sort of instrument on the clutch, but since you can't (shouldn't?) use it on the wheel or control circuits, it seems easier to me to just use a speedbleeder on the clutch and not have to deal with another piece of equipment to clean up . . . but YMMV. wink.gif

We've discussed these things ("mighty-vac") before, but I'm still missing what advantage they offer, especially on a bike. Especially, especially on an ABS bike. They seem to me to be a solution looking for a problem.

Someone educate me please as to the advantages of sucking on the systems vs. just pushing new fluid threw it in the manner it was designed?

Any problem in just leaving the speed bleeder installed in the clutch system?

I noticed that my newly acquired and dealer-serviced 2002 RT has bleed valves installed in both the left and right calipers.

Finally, I find the advantage of the Mityvac to be that it allows a one-person bleeding operation--you and it are positioned down at the bleed valve.

Cheers

tkb

I can't think of any reason not to leave the Speed Bleeder installed. I can think of one good reason not to remove it: air in the clutch lines.

I left the Speed Bleeder installed on my 1150GS clutch line. Actually, with Speed Bleeders installed, one person can flush and bleed the clutch and brake lines without a Mity Vac. But if you already have one, I guess you might as well use it.

Archived