IGNORED

2004 R1150RT No rear brake from rear pedal, rear brake from front lever

jblaze5779

OK so I've got a 2004 R11550RT with about 70k miles on it. I lived in Midland, TX for a couple years and never got to ride the bike much. I did have it on a battery tender and started it here and there to make sure it was in running order. Never had any issues.

I moved to Oklahoma City a couple months ago and I go to take the bike to get registered with the state. I notice there's no braking force when the rear pedal is depressed. I have the linked brakes so I am getting braking force to the rear through the front lever. I confirmed this by taking the caliper off and observed movement from the piston (and an awesome pinching force on my finger).

-I checked the rear cylinder and the brake fluid is good.

-The rear braking switch makes an audible clicking noise and my rear brake light works fine from the rear pedal.

-The rear servo sounds when the rear pedal is pressed.

-The rear brake applies braking force when used from the front lever.

-No braking force is applied from the rear brake when the bike is turned off.

-I have the normal ABS light that blinks until you roll forward and then it turns itself off.

Any suggestions?

Afternoon

Difficult to tell you much without having the bike in front of us but it sounds like you either have air in the rear control circuit, or the fluid in the rear master cylinder reservoir isn't reaching the piston, or the rear caliper is sticking on the pins & not moving to center itself on the brake disk.

Do you have a firm rear brake pedal with key off? with key on?

Have you removed the rubber bladder (just under the cap) in the rear reservoir to verify fluid is under it?

Can you push the rear caliper piston back into the bore then slide the caliper latterly on it's pins?

If all OK then try bleeding the rear control circuit at the bleeders on the ABS controller (under seat)

In fact as long as your bike has been sitting you should do a FULL brake system fluid refresh & re-bleed.

Afternoon

Difficult to tell you much without having the bike in front of us but it sounds like you either have air in the rear control circuit, or the fluid in the rear master cylinder reservoir isn't reaching the piston, or the rear caliper is sticking on the pins & not moving to center itself on the brake disk.

Do you have a firm rear brake pedal with key off? with key on?

Have you removed the rubber bladder (just under the cap) in the rear reservoir to verify fluid is under it?

Can you push the rear caliper piston back into the bore then slide the caliper latterly on it's pins?

If all OK then try bleeding the rear control circuit at the bleeders on the ABS controller (under seat)

In fact as long as your bike has been sitting you should do a FULL brake system fluid refresh & re-bleed.

-No brake firm brake pedal in the rear with the key on or off.

-Yes fluid is present in the rear master cylinder. In fact, with the cap off the fluid level does not move at all when the pedal is pressed.

-I pressed the piston back into the bore to get the bracket back on the disc when I reinstalled it.

-I just took all the plastic off so I'm going to have a go at bleeding from the module.

I have a feeling the fluid is not being sent to the control unit and resulting in no braking from the rear pedal. The front circuit is working fine (therefore squeezing the rear also).

-Yes fluid is present in the rear master cylinder. In fact, with the cap off the fluid level does not move at all when the pedal is pressed.

Afternoon jblaze5779

Did you remove the rubber bladder cup under the cap???? That bladder will hold fluid & look just like the reservoir is full.

As DR stated, I would check the rear reservoir, the caliper for proper operation, clean up the slider pins and definitely do a complete system flush/refill.

If it still doesn't work, then you can start to worry :) !

Afternoon jblaze5779

Did you remove the rubber bladder cup under the cap???? That bladder will hold fluid & look just like the reservoir is full.

Sure did.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. The bleeder funnel came in this afternoon and I was able to bust out the bleeding procedure. I did have some issues with some bent pins when plugging the abs module back in. It took me about 30 min to figure out what had happened and why my whizzy noise wasn't happening and why my brake light was stuck on. I straightened the pins out and everything turned out fine.

Thanks again.

Archived