IGNORED

Speed Bleeders for Brakes

Frank B

Has anyone has experience with using speed bleeders for brakes. I'm thinking of installing them on my 2013 R1200RT. In general, they seem to get good reviews. I'm wondering if they are working well on BMW's and what the best brands might be.

Morning Frank

I guess I don't see the gain on a motorcycle that you can reach all the bleeder screws while operating the master cylinders.

I had them on the front of my FJR and all calipers on my Miata. They allow you to easily bleed the brakes by yourself. On the FJR I could easily access the rear brake pedal and caliper making bleeding easy, but the front was more difficult. I could and have used a vacuum pump, but it still requires that you continually check the brake reservoir to ensure it doesn't run dry.

The speed bleeders made it a simple task...hook up some tubing and a container to catch the expelled fluid then just slowly squeeze the lever while keeping an eye on the reservoir level.

I have used Speed Bleeders for over 15 years now without any problems. Bikes, cars, including the clutch and brakes on the Miata. Makes the yearly or biannual fluid swap much easier because I can do it by myself with no mess. At least 15 in use in my small garage right now. WWTM (well worth the money).

I just buy online from speedbleeders.com

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone has experience with using speed bleeders for brakes. I'm thinking of installing them on my 2013 R1200RT.

I put Speed Bleeders on all my bikes for the last three bikes. Last year I put them on my 2013 R1200RT without incident.

I guess it's possible to stretch far enough to bleed the system by yourself the traditional way. However, Speed Bleeders make it simple enough that you'll do it rather than putting it off. In my opinion, they are well worth the $20 cost. Do it, you won't regret it.

I got them on my RT and they work fine but I recently bought an 01 530i and flushed the brakes on it with a 500ml plastic drink bottle 1/4 full of fluid with a tube submerged in the fluid and running to the bleeder.

The tube goes through a tight fitting hole in the bottles plastic lid and there is also a small air hole in the lid.

Just open the bleeder and pump new fluid through the system, works just as well.

I got them on my RT and they work fine but I recently bought an 01 530i and flushed the brakes on it with a 500ml plastic drink bottle 1/4 full of fluid with a tube submerged in the fluid and running to the bleeder.

The tube goes through a tight fitting hole in the bottles plastic lid and there is also a small air hole in the lid.

Just open the bleeder and pump new fluid through the system, works just as well.

I've been using the drink bottle with fluid and a hose method for years.

Archived