IGNORED

Economical rear shock

fatbob

Guest Kakugo

Short of a used shock (which seems unobtainable these days), the cheapest option would be Hagon.

Also, rebuilding the OE unit may be feasible but not very far in price if spares need to be ordered from Showa.

Morning Bob

What part did he lose? If just the adjuster part that can be refilled with hydraulic jack oil.

If he in fact needs a new (or used) rear shock then how much does he want to spend? There will be some shock sales coming up if he isn't in a hurry.

If he is looking for real cheap then keep trying E-Bay --there is one there now with free shipping---

E-Bay rear shock-- click here

Thanks folks, we have not removed and inspected it yet so don't know where all the oil came from. Hope it's just the adjuster!

Morning Bob

What part did he lose? If just the adjuster part that can be refilled with hydraulic jack oil.

If he in fact needs a new (or used) rear shock then how much does he want to spend? There will be some shock sales coming up if he isn't in a hurry.

If he is looking for real cheap then keep trying E-Bay --there is one there now with free shipping---

E-Bay rear shock-- click here

Love the sense of humor in that ad.

"In good working condition with no flaws to speak of."

Heck ya, I wouldn't speak of the flaws either. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Mine wasn't the height (preload) adjuster. Mine had been seeping enough that I noticed a burning oil smell after parking it. Then one morning there was a 4" puddle under the bike. I picked up a $50 eBay shock and will eventually have the original rebuilt (with a heavier spring).

It's possible that your buddy noticed no seeping and the the seal went all at once. Or it could be the adjuster, but if it were, there wouldn't be much of an oil spot on the ground. It only uses a few ounces.

Archived