IGNORED

Engine protection bars

walton66

Thinking of adding some bars to my 2013 RT, for protection and to serve as mounting points for additional lights , prior to my New Mexico trip and in May. Several makes available, does any one have a recommendation and photo to share?

Thanks

BW

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Ilium works foot peg holders work very well as jug protectors. I had a local shop weld a nut into the forward end to attach a bracket for Hella Micro DE fogs for 24/7 use. Looking for photo.

Ilium pegs

They can be had in black powder coat. Bottom center picture in the link has forward facing off to the right and shows the black plug I removed and used for mounting.

Found a photo. I attached solas tape to the sides for visibility. I later added a small piece of rubber to cover the front as a grit preventer in the detent pin mechanism (greasy spot). It will attract dirt and make it stick in place if not kept clean.

IMG_2757_zps139f7224.jpg

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Yes. I did an "almost" tipover to verify they touch first as well as a more technical test. Put a board on the floor on both sides of the tires and touched off a yardstick on the boards and peg mounts. You would have to go into a "tires in the air" tipover to hit the cases. At that point, you would need the bigger bars. Then again, the bigger bars usually contribute to that "tires in the air" condition. Maybe the jugs do the same...I don't have experience with that though. I can tell you that the KZ1000P crash bars sort of stick out like jugs but those only rarely go over with the tires in the air. I've got quite a few lowsides on those bikes (enough to require gusseting of the bars on a trainer) and the tires never went up into the air.

The picture sort of shows the angles.

Made the bracket out of aluminum and then transferred the pattern to steel. Also, I told the welder to tack the nut into the tubing. He did a fillet weld and, although it will NEVER come out, I had to heavily chase the threads afterward. The trick is to tell them to tack the nut in and leave it proud by 0.1 inch so that they don't try to out-think you. Still haven't gotten around to getting the correct length screws.

I bought the ZTechnik engine guards from National Cycle.

They are stainless steel and mount good & solid to the frame.

They don't stick out too far, so I am thinking on hard pavement they would do the job, but if for some reason one was on a softer surface, they would sink in a bit.

They are more expensive than the ones from Wunderlich, but much nicer looking.

I also have the llium foot pegs attached to them and they fit perfectly.

If you would like a pic, they show them on the bike on their website.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/vehicles/motorcycle/bmw/bmwr1200rt/2010bmwr1200rt/z7102.html

Archived