IGNORED

Ilium Works - Bar Backs

AlanS.

Mine arrive Wednesday along with the handlebar removal tool I'm renting from them. I'll post my opinion after a few rides.

Mine arrive Wednesday along with the handlebar removal tool I'm renting from them. I'll post my opinion after a few rides.

I will be interested in knowing whether the higher hand position puts the back/top of the hands up into contact with the airstream coming over the clear plastic wind diverters on top of the dash.

I have fitted them and they seem fine, other than I have not set them both up at the same angle(Doh)!

At 6'4" they just make life a bit nicer but they also make an aftermarket screen essential, just got to decide which one.

I can also confirm the hands are not moved up into any air stream.

Okay, got them installed and have ridden several times since. As others noted, the airstream is still above your hands...I'd say a good 4 or 5 inches. I couldn't perceive any difference in handling characteristics. My motivation for this mod was to help with back stress on multi-hour rides. We'll see if they make a difference next month traveling to START.

I'm certainly glad I rented Ilium's handlebar removal tool...I couldn't imagine doing the job without it. Installation was straightforward. There was enough slack in all the cables as Ilium states but I wouldn't want to lose any more. They're at my comfort limit.

The only thing I lost was the attachment point for my MultiPod Adapter. I'll have to find a new way to mount my Multipod...most likely I'll get their Vario Attachment Clamp.

Anyway, looks good, works good, and time will tell if it helps with my back by getting me in a slightly more upright position.

• 2 weeks later...
Norm LeFevre

Ordered the bar backs today. They said there's been a backlog with the rentals of the removal device, so I'm a couple of weeks out.

• 1 month later...

A follow-up. I installed a set on my 2015 RTW last evening, and took a brief test drive this afternoon. Initial impression is they are just the ticket for my short frame and arms. At low speeds the wind flow is still 1-2 inches above the back of the hand, so I expect/hope at 70 the flow will still be just above the hand.

A benefit of the swap is you can set the degree of rotation of the grip to whatever works for you. From the factory, the left switch cluster was rotated up too much for my tastes (horn button where I would want the turn signal button). When installing the bar end in the riser, I rotated the bar enough to put the horn and turn signal switches where my thumb naturally looks for them.

Use of the tool was a simple/straight-forward as shown in the video. The advice about using a piece of cardboard between the tool threads and the steering head was spot-on. One thing not mentioned but shown in the video is covering the entire top/front of the tank with rags -- you will need to be setting levers/bar ends/whatever on the tank.

My rental installation tool is already in UPS's hands for return, so no one should be waiting on me. :D Also, I note that the package came with a pre-paid return label, so the $15 rental charge is really closer to $6-$7.

One installation note: The 17 ft-lb of torque applied to the left lower 8 mm bolt was not enough to hold the riser against rotating when torquing the upper 10 mm bolt to 33 ft lb. I reset the riser angle and increased the torque on the lower 8 mm bolt and completed the upper bolt installation.

Received mine last week and install them that afternoon. Very easy installation. I think it would be tough without the tool that your rent from them. For me, they made the writing position way better, a lot more comfortable writing position made the Riding causation a lot more comfortable and relieved the pressure on my hands. GT

• 2 weeks later...
Ed Freshwater

I installed mine a few weeks back without the installation tool. I used a hot air gun from Home Depot and a pulley removal tool purchased awhile back from an auto parts store. Worked well. After installed, less pressure on wrists and lower back. No handling difference. And I have a place to mount a cell phone holder for GPS use. (the 1" round tubes) Quality and finish is same as OEM handlebars.

• 2 weeks later...
Norm LeFevre

Installed mine a few weeks ago. Air flow is fine. I'm 5.7" 29", and have the low seat, so my view of the mirrors is obstructed (but very little). Anyone with a longer torso than mine should have no problems with the sight lines.

On another matter, when I installed the bar backs initially, I didn't adjust the rotation of the handlebar ends, so the cruise control, for example, wasn't straight up, but was rotated too far towards me. The locking button on the right side was a bit too far towards me as well.

Just something I missed when I did my install and something to watch for for anyone doing the installation.

Sure enjoy mine as well as Suburban Machinery' s peg lowering set.

Borrowed the tool from illium Works and with the help of the video I had no problem.

Peter Wittstruck

I installed mine yesterday. Watched their video and used their removal tool. No problems. Much more comfortable riding position. I also have a Cee Bailey's tall 27.5" windshield and a Russell Day Long Saddle

• 1 year later...

"The only thing I lost was the attachment point for my MultiPod Adapter."

Why can't you use the adapter? Isn't it the same bolt size?

Thanks

Been riding with them for about 11 months and about 18k miles. I really like them. No noticeable difference in airflow over the hands. The bar back allow my arms to be in a more relaxed position. Highly recommend them.

Any problems of handle bars hitting your tank bag? I installed a set of bar backs on my 1100 and the the horn would sound off when bars were cranked to the left. Full lock either left or right hit the bag(s), both the original multivario and an after market.

Any problems of handle bars hitting your tank bag? I installed a set of bar backs on my 1100 and the the horn would sound off when bars were cranked to the left. Full lock either left or right hit the bag(s), both the original multivario and an after market.

The Illium bar backs shouldn't have much effect on your bars hitting the tank bag. Getting a tank bag the right size to not hit the switch gear to start with is the secret.......

Sam Rowland

Thanks

The bolt on the bar backs is much longer than the adapter for the multi pod., so the adapter will not thread into the bar backs

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered my bar backs with tool rental and I received an invoice for $250 including shipping. However, credit card receipt came in as $281. I queried Ilium and their answer was the credit card included $15 tool rental and return shipping. Seems like a strange way to run a business; this should have been included in the invoice IMHO.

bought them the first thing rent the tool, installation is a breeze they look good and work well great product

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

The bolt on the bar backs is much longer than the adapter for the multi pod., so the adapter will not thread into the bar backs

I had the same problem. I now use an Adaptiv handlebar mount on the tube portion of the Ilium bar back and it looks nice to my eye and works well: http://www.adaptivtechnologies.com/adaptiv_store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=188.

Archived