IGNORED

Dirt tires on Airheads

Michaelr11

A friend is looking at adding an Airhead to his garage to join his R1100RS. He'd like to be able to take the Airhead on a fire road or gravel, not deep woods river crossings.

Can he put a street/dirt tire on a typical R-bike Airhead without getting a GS? If so, what tires?

Guest Kakugo

I don't know if I would take any Airhead down a gravel road. At least here values are absolutely insane: an R100R will sell for 8500€! :P

Modern on/off tyres are available in a variety of sizes. Michelin is more limited (they only offer 17" rears and 19" and 21" fronts) but Pirelli and Metzeler are far more "accomodating" with 17" and 18" rears and 17", 18", 19" and 21" fronts. Now: these are not full blown dirt tyres. They are designed for your average GS or Transalp owner who may ride a gravel road once in a while at a leisurely pace. I've ridden my TA on dirt/gravel roads on Michelin Anakee's and, as long as you keep your head about you, they are OK.

I had some big block tires on my R75/7 for a gravel road ride in AZ a few years ago. Sorry, I don't remember the brand. They worked okay but definitely not near as good as knobbies. So, it can be done.

Archived