IGNORED

Virginia Inspection Plate Option

mneblett

The new RT's radial caliper mounts make it harder to mount a plate to carry the required VA annual inspection sticker (assuming you don't want to just stick it to the fork -- ugh!).

After looking at various options, I decided to do it this way:

IMG_0788_zpspffpo1cf.jpg

Axle is held in place by the bolt on its left end and the left and right pinch bolts. The axle bolt sits in a 0.5 mm deep pocket, and because the axle seats against the inside of the left fork flange, the axle does not extend all of the way out to the outer surface of the left fork:

IMG_0781_zpsvdhmofwp.jpg

I dug up a washer that could not have been better sized on the ID and OD to fit in the 0.5 mm pocket, to keep the inspection plate off the fork casting:

IMG_0782_zpsynfq5tef.jpg

The washer is 1.89 mm thick, the plate is 3.14 mm thick. The combination reduces the axle bolt thread engagement from 17.1 mm to 12.6 mm (counting the 0.5 mm the washer sits into the depression in the casting surface). Given the substantial remaining thread engagement, and the fact that the two pinch bolts also provide substantial axle-retaining force, I am comfortable with the security of the setup, as well as the continued use of the 30 Nm axle bolt torque spec. The broad head of the axle nut and the broad spacer washer work together to spread the compressive force on the plate over a large area. The plate completely clears the fork casting.

In addition to the inspection sticker, I need to display a City tax sticker. I added a second plate using JB Weld, tiny counter-sunk screws (so the heads don't stick out from behind the overlaid inspection sticker), nuts and red loctite. The second plate cannot extend too far forward because the fork casting tapers outward toward the axle. (ignore the rough-looking edges -- final filing/smoothing to come):

IMG_0783_zpse6l4zmsa.jpg

IMG_0784_zpsqihlugll.jpg

IMG_0785_zpsnon0kjab.jpg

IMG_0787_zpsippo99jd.jpg

HTH!

I'm not knowledgeable with your states requirements. Texas has an inspection sticker too. The dealer provides a license plate frame (all MC dealers do this) with an extension for the sticker. If this location isn't acceptable in your state the dealer/manufacture should provide a legal place to mount the sticker. I bet they want to mount it to the fork? I wouldn't want mine there either...

As of this month March Texas has done away with stickers for auto's (not MC) you still need to get an inspection. All inspections are run though computer which is sent to the state. It become part of your record. The state is trying to cut down on fraud. I hope it makes it way to motorcycles.

Jay

A well applied bend just aft of the axle might go a long way to curing the PTTR (AKA trim tab)

Patent pending?

Rick.

As of this month March Texas has done away with stickers for auto's (not MC) you still need to get an inspection. All inspections are run though computer which is sent to the state. It become part of your record. The state is trying to cut down on fraud. I hope it makes it way to motorcycles.Jay

This has made it's way to motorcycles in Texas, Just had my 14 RTW inspected this week and just got a piece of paper documenting the inspection. Went to county courthouse showed paper, picked up registration sticker. Went home removed plate from motorcycle that had the old inspection sticker and attached new registration sticker to the license plate. Take a look at the below link it clearly tells you new process applies to motorcycles. Second question under the miscellaneous question section.

http://twostepsonesticker.com/resources#faqs

As of this month March Texas has done away with stickers for auto's (not MC) you still need to get an inspection. All inspections are run though computer which is sent to the state. It become part of your record. The state is trying to cut down on fraud. I hope it makes it way to motorcycles.Jay

This has made it's way to motorcycles in Texas, Just had my 14 RTW inspected this week and just got a piece of paper documenting the inspection. Went to county courthouse showed paper, picked up registration sticker. Went home removed plate from motorcycle that had the old inspection sticker and attached new registration sticker to the license plate. Take a look at the below link it clearly tells you new process applies to motorcycles. Second question under the miscellaneous question section.

http://twostepsonesticker.com/resources#faqs

You made my day! Last I looked (a month or two ago) motorcycle would still required the sticker. My inspection sticker expired the end of February, the funny thing is I was going to get it done this morning but it was misting then light rain (between the bad weather and timing I haven't get it done) now I guess I don't need to worry about it until the end of January next year! We need the rain but I'm tired of it... thanks for the news this has made me very happy!

Jay

Is there a reason the sticker can't go on the fork or is that just your preference? I see more "ugh" looking at the added plate. Just my preference.

Here in New York the sticker needs to be attached to a permanent part of the bike. A removable plate could be easily transferred to another bike.

Looks like my previous version of this answer disappeared into the Ether.

I hate fork-mounted inspection stickers, both because they are ugly, and because either debris or scratches on the fork leg are left behind when removed.

Also, some states have small inspection stickers. Virginia's motorcycle stickers are nearly twice the size of the car stickers! They take up what seems like 1/2 the fork. Ugh. Plate mount for me.

Edit: The last photo in the first post shows the size of the Va. sticker -- nearly the entire distance between the axle bolt and the yellow City sticker.

The Rocketman

A buddy of mine who used to be a machinist in Australia had loads of talent, and lots of time on his hands, and custom made this laser-etched stainless inspection plate for me a few years back. Its perfect for my 1st R1200C. When I got my 2nd cruiser, I asked him to make me another one, but it is now on the list of unobtanium. Guess I should be happy with the one I have.

inspection%20plate_zpsqf8efdr5.jpg

Must not have been a motorcyclist who designed that sticker.

In Mass the annual safety inspection sticker goes on the license plate...color changes every year so it's easy for LEOs to spy it from behind.

• 4 weeks later...

Move to Texas. Texas just did away with sticker, you sill need the inspections but since it's electronically feed to the state they have done away with them, you must have a current inspection to obtain your vehicle license plates. This was done to help cut down on fraud.

Good luck with that G-d awful thing...

Jay

Virginia already does that for auto emissions inspections (same no-registration-if-no-inspection rule, too), so it's not like they don't know exactly how to do it.

The cynical would suggest it's this way in VA so that an expired inspection is more visible -- probable cause for a stop, as well as revenue.

One of the bridge approaches in VA leading into Wash, DC has a semi-permenant jam where the lanes narrow from 2 to 1. The county regularly parks right where the traffic is moving at 0-2 mph, and simply waves cars out of line to write them up. Fish in a barrel.

Virginia already does that for auto emissions inspections (same no-registration-if-no-inspection rule, too), so it's not like they don't know exactly how to do it.

The cynical would suggest it's this way in VA so that an expired inspection is more visible -- probable cause for a stop, as well as revenue.

One of the bridge approaches in VA leading into Wash, DC has a semi-permenant jam where the lanes narrow from 2 to 1. The county regularly parks right where the traffic is moving at 0-2 mph, and simply waves cars out of line to write them up. Fish in a barrel.

The rule in Texas is the inspection must be done 90 day prior to the plates renewal or no plates. You have to be current or you are driving/riding a vehicle that isn't registered.

Jay

In the UK, as from October 2014 no longer need to display our tax disc.

Before that, we always had the delema of where to put it to comply with the law.

Since that time, we have so much Big-Brother monitoring that we don't need anything on the bike apart from the rear registration number (number plate).

Now when a Police Car (or any equipped official vehicle) carries out a number plate recognition, it instantly flags all pertinent info (Keepers name and address, Vehicle detail, Annual road-worthiness test, Insurance etc etc).

In this modern age, it is the way to go, and I can't believe that you guys across in the 'States, are lagging behind in this area!

Same in Montana. No inspections (or stickers). Ever.

AND, we have permanent registration/plates here for motorcycles/ATVs/snowmobiles: register once when you first buy it and it's good for as long as you own the vehicle. My new '14 RT cost me about $275 for a permanent plate :wave:

Archived