IGNORED

I know much M/C clothing is black. It does hide the dirt better than other

Bud

colors.

I'm wondering your experience regarding heat. Are black jackets considerably hotter than other colors?

Black definitely hides dirt and bugs better than light colors, in my experience, but I switched to hi-viz. I don't know if folks see me better in hi-viz, but I see riders better in it, especially compared to black.

Most of the time I'm moving on a bike, so the color doesn't affect the temperature for me, because there is always airflow inside the jacket. If it's hot, it's hot. I mitigate that with a Hoon Cooler if need be. Yeah, at slow -stuck in traffic- speeds black may be hotter, but I chose hi-viz for other reasons.

I use black for my over pants, because that is pretty much the color they make them these days.

If I lived in the South East or South West I'd rethink the over pants.

As the HD commercial ominoulsy overtoned... 'We wear black because it doesn't show dirt... or weakness!'

And no, I'm not making that up...

Some time ago, maybe 12 or 15 or so years ago, Motorcycle Consumer News or one of the other major mags reviewed several armored mesh jackets. I don't remember all the details but I do remember that the black ones were the hottest and silver the coolest. I don't recall how they actually measured this but it did influence my buying decision.

I ride with a Vanson "Bone" color jacket. I can't tell if it's any hotter or cooler, but I like that its NOT black and I don't see a lot of road dirt.

I say buy what you will wear!

colors.

I'm wondering your experience regarding heat. Are black jackets considerably hotter than other colors?

You bet! I have a black Kilimanjaro that I use for 3 seasons and the black really soaks up the sun in the cold weather and helps keeping me warm. It is 12 years old and I just replaced it with a KLIM Lattitude in Hi-Viz / gray. Love the jacket and the color but it does not soap up the heat when you would like it to. Also, the Hi-viz does not hide the dirt as well. But for safety I would alway go Hi-viz.

For summer just the opposite ... a black jacket will cook you and hi-viz will be cooler.

Since albedo is affected by the frequency of light (sunlight) and reflective ability of the surface (not just color) and a bunch of othe JoeFrickinFriday stuff, then throw in wind chill effect when moving, it isn't just about color when in motion.

Parked, yes, mostly.

Besides, we look fatter in Hi viz and slimmer in black...

Hmmmmm................. How to lose 15 lbs in a day, wear black. :wave:

Guest Kakugo

Presently I have two sets of riding gear: my Dane Gore-Tex Pro-Shell in black and a mesh Spidi in light grey. Over the years I've had textile riding gear in all colors and hues: electric blue, neon orange, light brown... if it's way beyond atrocious, I've had it. :grin:

In my opinion it's not so much the color that does the difference, but the material. Good quality Cordura + good quality Gore-Tex (IE Pro-Shell) sits at the top of the ladder. Way better than lighter colored clothing in inferior materials.

I have a vanson perforated leather jacket in black. Off the bike, in the sun, I cook. Moving, it's not noticeable.

Lighter colors will of course be cooler. Whether it's enough to make a noticeable difference is another matter. But the hotter it is, the more likely it is to be noticeable.

Since albedo is affected by the frequency of light (sunlight) and reflective ability of the surface (not just color) and a bunch of othe JoeFrickinFriday stuff, then throw in wind chill effect when moving, it isn't just about color when in motion.

Parked, yes, mostly.

"albedo" That's a new one on me. Surely I saw that word back in physics class somewhere. At first, I thought perhaps you were trying to spell "libido", but the rest of the sentence wasn't making any sense that way either....

My previous Roadcrafter two piece suit was black pants zipped to a blue jacket with black ballistics on the shoulders and elbows. I could tell anytime my legs were in full sunlight, even when moving. Top sides of my arms could tell as well. Not so much with the shoulders probably due to the padding. Crashed and ruined that suit two years ago. The replacement Roadcrafter is all gray. It is cooler than black in the same sunny circumstances.

Full sun or an overcast sky does make a difference in cold or hot weather. Ever been grateful for or cursed that one huge cloud on a sunny day? I have!

I ride mostly Olympia gear.Jacket is dark grey and hi Viz,pants dark grey or dark grey with black reinforcing patches.

Like the dark grey,as it does a reasonable job of hiding dirt,grime,unlike the hiviz which shows all,yet it remains much cooler than black.No I'm not getting rid of the hi viz,I'm doing all I can to be SEEN.

I routinely ride in 90-100 plus temps here in the lower left corner of the US,so I know what works well in heat and what does not.

JR356

Archived