IGNORED

Dash Board

scjaqua

I have a 1988 K75S. The dash board has what appears to be a short that makes operation of the tac intermittent and the speedometer useless. The fuel light works (thank god), but all other lights either never work or work intermittently. I notice that when I turn the choke off, the tac begins to work sometimes. I have had the dash rebuilt twice to no avail. I had a mechanic at the local shop tell me it might be the electrical harness. Since this is a $400 job, I thought I would check here for ideas.

Thanks for any help. Dashless dopeslap.gif

I have a 1988 K75S. The dash board has what appears to be a short that makes operation of the tac intermittent and the speedometer useless. The fuel light works (thank god), but all other lights either never work or work intermittently. I notice that when I turn the choke off, the tac begins to work sometimes. I have had the dash rebuilt twice to no avail. I had a mechanic at the local shop tell me it might be the electrical harness. Since this is a $400 job, I thought I would check here for ideas.

Thanks for any help. Dashless dopeslap.gif

Your problem probably has nothing to do with the instrment cluster. The usual cause of this intermittancy is bad contact in the connectors, and (in the case of the speedo) the sender on the rear drive has a particle of steel stuck to its magnet.

In the case of the later, remove the sender (one simple bolt) and clean the business end scrupulously.

For the connectors, the usual fix is to unplug and replug them several times to wipe away any oxide. There is a speedo connector that leads to the speedo sender, strapped to the frame tube on the right side near the water tank. It is unlikely that the connectors on the back of the instrument cluster are the problem since you have already had them in and out at least once, but check them anyway.

For the speedo, I don't think there are any more connectors. For the tach, I believe there is at least one under the tank. Check the bike's wiring diagram. It won't tell you where the connectors are, but it WILL tell you if there are any more.

Bob.

Thanks, I'll check your ideas.

Scott

No real thoughts about the actual here, just a suggestion:

As long as you are going thru the connectors/connections, get some contact cleaner and spray both ends of the plugs. USUALLY, a few plug&unplug sessions will clear enough corrosion to make things good, but why not try to make it better? You can also find a conductive grease or such to add to the plugs to keep future corrosion - which is VERY OFTEN unseen, BTW - from forming again.

Do us a favor and let us know how things go... too often folks write with problems, but we never hear what served as the ultimate solution! cool.gif

Archived