IGNORED

audio system

rodantking

Not sure if this is the right place. I figure the GT has the same system put incase it doesn't I'll post here.

I just put a deposit down on a '15 RT. I can tell you I left there more confused than when I walked in. They are telling me that if I don't buy the BMW headset I'm SOL because BMW BlueTooth Controller under the seat is proprietary and nothing else will connect to it. I really haven't got that impression from research I did before I went in. I read you loose some functions but I'm not really sure as to what that is. By the way the other one I am considering is the sena20.

They couldn't even tell me how the bike system work with any certainty. They think the nav 5 pairs with the bike and the bike pairs to the BMW Headset. The phone pairs with the nav5 and no one had a idea what happen if you plug the phone into the bike with it paired to the gps.

They are listed as dealers of sena and said they were going to start bring the 20s in but know nothing. Not certain about how that work also. I read it's dual bluetooth so I assume it can only connect to two devises at a time, example the passenger headset and gps. Confused about how it decides what those 2 are in more complex situation, but I don't even know how complex this is because I don't understand the hierarchy the BMW side of things. I see some big perks to the sena like better audio, headphone jack, pairs with other brands, but I would give up a lot for ease of use and reliability.

Big breath... I think that will help you answer my question.

-What do I give up not going with BMW's System

-How does the bike manage devices?

-Does their (BMW's) headset manage intercom with passenger or is the bike doing that? If the bike does it, does it with the sena?

-I would like stereo sound. I'm guessing if the Garmin runs the phone(mp3, pandora source) that is gone. Can the Garmin take the phone side and the bike take the mp3 side with the cable. If it can, is the bmw interface usable and stable? A lot of car manufactures struggle to do what a 10 dollar dock did 10 years ago.

I'm sorry for so many questions. I'm a little flustered. I have found a lot on the Sena but 95 percent of it is about bugs when it first came put. Having a hard time finding anything on the BMW's side that doesn't conflict with what the shop had to say.

Paul In Australia
Not sure if this is the right place. I figure the GT has the same system put incase it doesn't I'll post here.

I just put a deposit down on a '15 RT. I can tell you I left there more confused than when I walked in. They are telling me that if I don't buy the BMW headset I'm SOL because BMW BlueTooth Controller under the seat is proprietary and nothing else will connect to it. I really haven't got that impression from research I did before I went in. I read you loose some functions but I'm not really sure as to what that is. By the way the other one I am considering is the sena20.

They couldn't even tell me how the bike system work with any certainty. They think the nav 5 pairs with the bike and the bike pairs to the BMW Headset. The phone pairs with the nav5 and no one had a idea what happen if you plug the phone into the bike with it paired to the gps.

They are listed as dealers of sena and said they were going to start bring the 20s in but know nothing. Not certain about how that work also. I read it's dual bluetooth so I assume it can only connect to two devises at a time, example the passenger headset and gps. Confused about how it decides what those 2 are in more complex situation, but I don't even know how complex this is because I don't understand the hierarchy the BMW side of things. I see some big perks to the sena like better audio, headphone jack, pairs with other brands, but I would give up a lot for ease of use and reliability.

Big breath... I think that will help you answer my question.

-What do I give up not going with BMW's System

-How does the bike manage devices?

-Does their (BMW's) headset manage intercom with passenger or is the bike doing that? If the bike does it, does it with the sena?

-I would like stereo sound. I'm guessing if the Garmin runs the phone(mp3, pandora source) that is gone. Can the Garmin take the phone side and the bike take the mp3 side with the cable. If it can, is the bmw interface usable and stable? A lot of car manufactures struggle to do what a 10 dollar dock did 10 years ago.

I'm sorry for so many questions. I'm a little flustered. I have found a lot on the Sena but 95 percent of it is about bugs when it first came put. Having a hard time finding anything on the BMW's side that doesn't conflict with what the shop had to say.

Answers to questions.

1. Volume control. Available on Sean unit side of helmet. No biggee

2 intercom managed by Sena

3 step sound from BMW audio through Sena works great

I am happy to recommend the Sena. Apart from volume control you have it all at 30% the cost

Regards

Paul

Not using the BMW "approved" bluetooth means you can only connect one helmet to the bikes system. Your pillion for instance cannot connect.

I have used the Sena 5 and 10 with the bike and both work nicely.

Answers to questions.

1. Volume control. Available on Sean unit side of helmet. No biggee

Agreed

2 intercom managed by Sena

is this the same for the src(BMW system)

3 step sound from BMW audio through Sena works great

Does this mean all audio going from Bike is great or the Phone interface is great when plugged into the bike?

I am happy to recommend the Sena. Apart from volume control you have it all at 30% the cost

Regards

Paul

Not using the BMW "approved" bluetooth means you can only connect one helmet to the bikes system. Your pillion for instance cannot connect.

I have used the Sena 5 and 10 with the bike and both work nicely.

I can see this as no big deal or a pain. I know they will share music, but how hard is that if you change source. Say from your iPod to sat. I'm not even sure it thinks (sena) it's different because I'm still not sure if the bike will manage the phone (mp3)

Thanks you. I need to find a RT manual online tonight for some exciting bedtime reading!

If you use an Iphone download smartlink from garmin for free. I have a Sena on my helmet. Everything works through Bluetooth except using the volume control wheel; but that really doesn't matter as the Sena volume control works fine. As pointed out 1 helmet at a time.

I nearly went crazy at first as was trying to sync to Bluetooth on bike...there is an icon in the bike menu that shows helmet 1 and helmet 2. After some advice on this board I tried to sync to helmet 1 and all problems solved. Sound is a bit distorted even at low volume..i.e. not high fidelity...but it works.

From what I have read over the past year the sound quality isn't all that good, as Skywagon states.

I don't need commutation or care about a wire so I hard wired a connection. The sound quality is great all functions work with BMW controls. I don't have to keep a battery charged, just plug a headset in and enjoy.

Jay

If you use an Iphone download smartlink from garmin for free. I have a Sena on my helmet. Everything works through Bluetooth except using the volume control wheel; but that really doesn't matter as the Sena volume control works fine. As pointed out 1 helmet at a time.

I nearly went crazy at first as was trying to sync to Bluetooth on bike...there is an icon in the bike menu that shows helmet 1 and helmet 2. After some advice on this board I tried to sync to helmet 1 and all problems solved. Sound is a bit distorted even at low volume..i.e. not high fidelity...but it works.

I have the Samsung phone and the smartphone Garmin app for it. As far as I know all it does is provide the weather/radar and traffic stuff for me, I cannot get the traffic cameras and speed trap info. But, my sound quality with the Sena is just as good using the bikes audio as it is with the Sena's built in FM radio. That said, I find myself using the loudspeakers all the time now for the music......With the excellent speed settings for volume and the easy to mute feature I find I prefer the loudspeakers. I do have the aftermarket windscreen which helps with quietness. I can cruise at 80 mph and hear it nicely with half the volume bars showing while wearing ear plugs.

The audio system can be frustrating and like a hall of mirrors... several components and no authoritative references to actually give you an answer.

My dealer has a nice and helpful guy, but it is a mystery to him too.

All that said... My passenger and I have Sena SMH-10s... they pair to each other easily and volume is terrific. Battery life must be good since I have never used it till it quit.

Pairing to the BMW system can be very frustrating the first few times... but once you get it figured out it works very well. The basic problem is that you have three things to deal with; the Headset, the Nav 5, and the bike system ... four if you also pair to a passenger.... (AM/FM/Sirius/user supplied MP3 player/passenger), and five if you have a smart phone..

The Garmin tech guy said to do one thing. The Sena guys says to do it another. the BMW guy is trying to be helpful but frankly it is a mystery to him too because they don't do Sena even if they sell it, or the iPhone, or the Nav 5.

I found that once I got the Sena paired to the BMW it basically pairs automatically after that... but you have to put the Sena in pairing mode (very easy to do). If you pair your smart phone to the Nav 5 apparently you can send/receive phone calls.

I truly believe the Nav 5 is automatically "connected" to the bike system... so the Nav 5 audio goes to the bike audio then to the Sena. I do not recall having to pair the Nav 5 to the bike.

Mysteries abound... such as... sometimes the bike just automatically pairs to the Sena (when the Sena is set to multi-point pair mode.) (Note: the Sena has three different pairing modes and you need to comprehend which method/mode to which pair-partner.) but I digress... some other times just turning the audio system off, then back on allows/causes the pairing to the bike to be automatic..? (WTF?)

What I would really value is someone to break the code on this set-up and post it... I do not think I have figured it out yet but I am close.... do not wait for me to break the code.

I found that the Garmin help line was very helpful. If you call, ask for the "OEM Team"... apparently they have a special section of guys who know the Nav 5 to Bike audio figured out but... and its a big butt... Garmin OEM help does not know Sena.

Sena guys know Sena, but do not know Garmin Nav 5 or the Bike system.

Bike/dealers do not know Sena or Nav 5 yet.

The iPhone pairs easily to the Nav 5 thank goodness,,,,

This whole audio thing is frustrating because it is the most mysterious interfacing situation I have ever encountered, but when it works it works well. Let me clarify, there is nothing wrong with the system it always works, but it is complicated...

and... for me... I never even thought very much about wanting to hear Sirius radio on the bike. I have always just enjoyed the ride. Now that I can have all these options... I want them to work and I want "somebody" to figure it out... and to just expect the bike owner to break the code is not very supportive.

I found that once I got the Sena paired to the BMW it basically pairs automatically after that... but you have to put the Sena in pairing mode (very easy to do). If you pair your smart phone to the Nav 5 apparently you can send/receive phone calls.

I truly believe the Nav 5 is automatically "connected" to the bike system... so the Nav 5 audio goes to the bike audio then to the Sena. I do not recall having to pair the Nav 5 to the bike.

I think Bluetooth technology was give to us by a superior Alien race to see if we are advanced enough to figure it out. They are not back to welcome us, so I don't think the test is going well for us....

I agree the Nav V is automatic to the bike. I have a Samsung phone paired to the bike. I have a Sena SMH5FM paired to the bike. Early on I had trouble with the bike audio from the radio going to the headset. I would have to turn the loudspeakers on then off again to get it to reconnect. Anyway I soon discovered I prefer listening to the music part of the bike system through the loudspeakers. I still get the Garmin traffic and nav prompts bluetooth to the headset as well as taking/making phone calls through it. I wish BMW had not purposely made it so that only one ( non approved by BMW=Schuberth only ) helmet will pair, but my wife doesn't ride all that much with me.

I'm back... I decided to try something really radical-

I got the BMW-supplied manuals out.

The manual entitled "Audio System and Pairing". On page 44 it plainly says: "Your motorcycle comes complete with a supplementary manual containing detailed instructions on pairing with different device combinations."

Question: Has anyone actually found this Supplementary Manual? if so, what does it say?

The manual also suggests that once you have paired a device to the system, it remembers the paired device... that probably explains easier pairing after you once make the connection. In my own words... if you have paired before and have not cleared the memory, once you make your headset "visible" (by setting it to pair) the connection should be very quickly established.

Thanks Rob L. This is a very helpful link. Read through the information and it is quite self explanatory.

Thanks Rob L. This is a very helpful link. Read through the information and it is quite self explanatory.

Glad that this helped you. I added headphone outlets for rider and passenger. Hers is under the seat, mine is inside of the right glove box. We use EarFuze in the ear headphones. I prefer them to helmet speakers and I don't have to bother with Bluetooth. I don't use my phone when driving either. I check calls when I stop. If only the cage users would do this, I would feel much safer :thumbsup:

I'm back... I decided to try something really radical-

I got the BMW-supplied manuals out.

The manual entitled "Audio System and Pairing". On page 44 it plainly says: "Your motorcycle comes complete with a supplementary manual containing detailed instructions on pairing with different device combinations."

Question: Has anyone actually found this Supplementary Manual? if so, what does it say?

The manual also suggests that once you have paired a device to the system, it remembers the paired device... that probably explains easier pairing after you once make the connection. In my own words... if you have paired before and have not cleared the memory, once you make your headset "visible" (by setting it to pair) the connection should be very quickly established.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.de/_common/jsp/download.jsp?file=http://www.bmw-motorrad.de/de/de/services/bmwmotorrad_betriebsanleitungen/com/equipment/vehicle/PDF/K_0611_RM_0813_K1600Audio_07.pdf, http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/services/

You have to select accessory manual on the left or you will just get the owners manual. DO NOT CLICK on link. Copy and paste the whole thing.

Link never opens for me.

Update: I called BMW Motorrad and had two rather disturbing conversations. the first was with one of their "customer service" helpers.

Not only did she not understand the questions I asked... which was "Where is my Supplemental Manual it says is supposed to come with the bike"? Her only response was... Go to your Dealer... who I had already advised her--- did not know there was a manual... then the "connection" failed...

Call back got a young man who seemed to understand the question. He went away to get an answer and came back with... Go to your dealer.

This is beginning to become a real pisser.

I suggest all of you who have audio system pairing questions call your dealer... and point out that your Audio System and Pairing book, on page 44 clearly says you are supposed to have a supplementary manual that should have come with your bike.

If you get any intelligent replies please let me hear.

Link never opens for me.

As I said, DO NOT CLICK on link. Why it has two http I have no idea. Copy and paste the whole thing (the part that shows as not a clickable and the part that looks like a clickable quick link). Sorry this page decided to display it that way.

Thanks for the link. BUT...

This link goes to a Manual that has the same title, and the same cover art as the one supplied for my bike...but... the contents of the book you refer to are not the same as mine. The back cover of the manual has the same part number as my manual and the same date, the contents of the manual are different

My book even has a different number of pages than the one in the PDF link.

The photos of the remote key shown in the downloaded PDF show a different key than mine.

All of that is the problem.

Apparently the manual you refer to is the book I am looking for.

MY book (with the same art and same name) had different contents and it says on page 44..."Your motorcycle comes complete with a supplementary manual containing detailed instructions on pairing with different device combinations."

So where did you get that manual?

The current audio manual somewhere in the front pages says it uses the K16 in the pictures, but it is applicable to the RT audio system. Having had a K16, I agree -- the K16 manual will do fine.

Archived