IGNORED

1150RT valve adjustment

Bill_R

I'm about to embark on my first adjustment (dealer did it @ 7k, now @ 13k). Does the valve clearance increase or decrease with wear (they all seem to be slightly "tight")?

Thanks in advance.

That's normal. The clearance should decrease, it's the valve seat and face that wear not the end of the valve stem and rocker. They will tighten up slightly between adjustments for 30-50k miles then will rarely need adjustment.

Jeff from Massachusetts

I'm about to embark on my first adjustment (dealer did it @ 7k, now @ 13k). Does the valve clearance increase or decrease with wear (they all seem to be slightly "tight")?

Bill,

Adjusting your own valves is a very rewarding do it yourself job. You can spend more time to get it just right than a mechanic that has three more to do after yours. Lots of info out there. I like "valve adjusting for dummies" very accurate and a little humor thrown in.

Where are you located Bill? I am sure someone would be willing to assist if they knew where you were...can be nice to have an extra set of eyes the first time around...but like the others have said a bit loose is better than tight...I try to get all 4 to feel the same and have enough resistance to hold up the feeler gauge, but that also depends on the type of gauge you are using.

To get a feel for how much drag is correct, use a set of calipers locked down to the thickness of the gauge that you're using. That way you always have a reference, especially when you go from side-to-side. Remember that there's going to be oil on the valves and feeler gauges, so don't attempt to feel the drag in the calipers "dry." Also, go the long way on the calipers jaws to avoid flexing the feeler gauge. My digital caliper from Harbor Frieght ran under $10 on sale; nicer ones made of unobtainium can cost much more.

And chanting to yourself "I'm having fun doing this" will help immeasurably.

Archived