IGNORED

considering K75s

beemuker

I'm in the market for a bike, and there is a K75s for sale, but it's over 6 hours away from me.

here is the listing

Great running and looking 92' BMW. Brand new tires and oil. I have the manual and original tool kit. Corbin seat was slashed and repaired with black duct tape. Motor and all engine components are visually in like new condition. ABS is non-operational and I have put black electrical tape over the indicator light on the instrument panel. Has 50,xxx miles with room for many more. Rides like a dream and road ready for the next 12 months.

I had an older K75 and could happily live with another. I don't think mine had abs. is this a deal breaker. the pictures look good[don't they all] , and the $2500 price seems reasonable.

Distance away from you shouldn't matter. It should run $500-700 shipped. I flew from NY to CO to buy my first BMW. Had friends in the area check it out first, then I grabbed a red-eye to see it in person.

Here's an example in RI of a really nice K75S for $3,000 with apparently no issues and only 11,000 miles:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/mcy/4893832922.html

Except that one's probably under six feet of snow right now!

Distance away from you shouldn't matter. It should run $500-700 shipped. I flew from NY to CO to buy my first BMW. Had friends in the area check it out first, then I grabbed a red-eye to see it in person.

Here's an example in RI of a really nice K75S for $3,000 with apparently no issues and only 11,000 miles:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/mcy/4893832922.html

thanks. there is someone in the portland area willing to give it a look over. I'm hopingto find one closer than RI though

There are problem free bikes out there close to that price point.

If you factor in doing anything to clean it up or fix,better deals around.

First, what type of riding?

Second, passenger?

Third, what maintenance are you comfortable with?

Fourth, where are you?

I ask because Cycle Trader has 150 BMW's under $5,000.

Sone nice boxers like an '03 R with bags and screen.

An excellent, easy to work on, solo or two up bike.

Some input wrt you location and budget/riding thoughts would help greatly.

Best wishes.

First, what type of riding?

Second, passenger?

Third, what maintenance are you comfortable with?

Fourth, where are you?

I ask because Cycle Trader has 150 BMW's under $5,000.

Sone nice boxers like an '03 R with bags and screen.

An excellent, easy to work on, solo or two up bike.

Some input wrt you location and budget/riding thoughts would help greatly.

Best wishes.

I'm in N. central WA. close to nowhere. Wenatchee, then Spokane, then Seattle are closest big cities. I've owned an R65 and a K75. both had advantages. the 1100-1150r's seem to be in my price range. I've also looked at rt's, but I don't plan on doing too much long distances . maybe buzzing over to the coast [4-5hrs]. windscreen and bags[and comfy seat] a +. probably mostly solo, with the occasional short hop with the wife. there a lot of rural, twisty roads in my area, so good riding ig you can steer clear of the deer. thanks. oh, and budjet is about 5K.

I'm handy with a wrench and would do most routine maint.

Andy

This was a reference point.

Ride West also has a couple advertised, more miles but closer.

Just suggestions as they are newer than the earlier bikes you cited.

DR makes a point (on your other thread) about the R and wind management.

Depends on your size/build/likes etc.

Best wishes.

So I ended up buying a 92 K75s. I'll post some pics and details later. Pluses, really clean,new rubber, nice paint,bags. neg, abs is history, stock shock.

I purchased a K75s with a little over 50k. Still has the stock rear shock, so one of my first upgrades will be to replace it. Any advice on the best value. the new progressive 412's are about 240 on leather up.. advice?

Motobricker

Are you in Wenatchee? My folks live there and I will be there next week? Coffee?

So I got a rear shock from RAM out of England, call them, they make it to your bike and weight/riding style. I really loved it, but there is a import tax of like $30 that comes later. Nice shock, good price. http://www.realmengineering.com/page15.html

Use radials if you have three spoke wheels, hook up to Motobrick site, wealth of info http://www.motobrick.com/

If you are able or it wasn't done think about a spline lube, the weak point on these bikes. Pretty straight forward 8 hour job! The Motobrick site has all the step by step how to's.

I converted my 85 RS to RT cause my hand fell asleep all the time. Sold my 89 RS for same reason. Sad to say I am now K less, just have r1200RT now, but do miss it, just too many bikes to ride.

Bob

thanks. will check out their shock. my K75s came with a new set of Pirelli . Not in Wenatchee, Tonasket, about 2.5 hrs north, almost to the border.

• 1 month later...
MontanaMark

Hi,

I always wanted a K bike after I had my 99 RT, so I went looking and ended up buying a 92 K75s in Portland,OR sight unseen. I asked all the right questions and the seller had all the right answers.

My son lives in Portland, so had him go take a gander. Bought a new VERY RED Icon helmet and had it shipped to my son's place. Flew out there, with my riding gear, son picked me up at the airport with the new VERY RED helmet and consummated the transaction. Spent a couple days out there visiting and riding to get used to the bike, then rode home.

I ended up with a Marakesh Red K with 42k miles, a Progressive rear, Stay-in-Tune exhaust, all bags, original BMW K tank bag and high windscreen. The seller also threw in the original exhaust and shock. Mine also has the optional factory-installed fuel and temp gauges - mounted in the side farings - very cool. All this for less than 3k.

At my age, the riding position of the S model limits my riding to about 200 miles before the shoulders, neck and wrists start acting up.

Over all, I couldn't be happier. It's a great bike for the twisties, smooth as silk and good looking to boot.

One thing you may want to look at on yours: fork oil. I had to replace a fork seal this winter and the existing fork oil was BLACK and cruddy. Changed out both seals, put in 15w oil and it like a new bike. Before, I was getting a lot of wobble and weird compression/decompression on the turns. Now it's smooth and solid in the corners. Just put a new set of Shinko's on, so we'll see how they work out.

Enjoy your new ride -

Mark

Mark,

Congrats on the new ride! The K75 was the smoothest flying brick engine I ever experienced.

A quick note: if the fork oil was black and cruddy, in all likelihood it is because the rubber bumpers at the bottom of the fork have disintegrated (quite common in a 20+ yo bike). Eventually you should plan on taking the forks apart to clean them out and replace the bumpers.

MontanaMark

I actually had them completely apart while changing the seals. Didn't see any rubber bumpers, but then they wouldn't be there if they were dissolved, would they?

I don't ride it that much, mostly around town. I've only put about 200-300 miles on since the change and haven't noticed anything unusual. I just looked at the fiche at maxbmw and don't see any rubber aside from o-rings and gaskets, which were replaced. I did not disassemble the fork innards.

I did put new Shinko's on without balancing them first. During the first ride, I could see the wheel axle (thru the fairing) bobbling back and forth. The ride wasn't bad, just not quite as smooth usual. Pulled the front wheel and it took 2 oz. of weight to balance it. Much better now. I still haven't done the rear, but don't think I have to.

Cheers,

Mark

Archived