IGNORED

2010 R1200RT spark plugs

cris nitro

Afternoon Cris

As mentioned above BMW calls for NGK MAR8B-JDS, they run from between $9.00 & $16.00 each depending on where you buy them.

I just bought 24 brand new NGK MAR8B-JDS a while back on Flea-Bay for $8.85 each (free shipping)

A quick look just now shows 4 NGK MAR8B-JDS on Flea-Bay for $49.95 with free shipping.

Not a bad deal, but if you have the time a better deal might pop up in the future.

NGK MAR8B-JDS. Not cheap and best price I've found is Beemer Boneyard. You will also need a thin walled 14MM socket.

Bill

Last time I checked, sparkplugs.com was cheaper than Beemer Boneyard even after using the discount avail to forum users.

Morning all. I am in the middle of a winter tune up and was wondering what you guys use for spark plugs in the cam heads?

Thanks,

Cris

NGKLaser Iridium Spark Plug (MR8AI9)

Part No 7692

LIMITED LIFETIME REPLACEMENT

Ship

Product Price $6.59

Discount -$0.99

$26.36

I have not installed these plugs yet, from Advance Auto Parts, but I am hearing they last 24K miles vs 12K miles and are cheaper. Same heat range per NGK. They are a 16mm socket vs 14mm but all other specs are identical.

Laser Iridium Spark Plug (MR8AI9)

OE-style long-life spark plug; laser-welded iridium center electrode and platinum ground electrode; tapered ground electrode to minimize quenching; consistent and stable spark; outstanding acceleration; high fuel efficiency and durability.

Product Features:

Iridium-tipped center electrode is 6 times harder than platinum

Platinum-tipped ground electrode ensures great durability and long life

Recommended for vehicles using distributorless ignition systems

There's a couple more plugs in that category (thread, heat range, reach, etc.) requiring a 16mm socket, such as the NGK PMR8A, NGK CR8EIX, and Denso IU24. However, those plugs, while being the same reach as the OEM plug, have a couple of extra threads that probably will extend into the combustion chamber and collect carbon deposits, possibly creating problems when it's time to replace the plugs. Before installing those MR8AI9 plugs, you might want to verify that they don't have the same problem.

There's a couple more plugs in that category (thread, heat range, reach, etc.) requiring a 16mm socket, such as the NGK PMR8A, NGK CR8EIX, and Denso IU24. However, those plugs, while being the same reach as the OEM plug, have a couple of extra threads that probably will extend into the combustion chamber and collect carbon deposits, possibly creating problems when it's time to replace the plugs. Before installing those MR8AI9 plugs, you might want to verify that they don't have the same problem.

Here's what I was referring to:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/attachment.php?s=180e2e7162c8a3046bebf6cab515be64&attachmentid=248342&stc=1&d=1391001435

From what I understand from the BMW Luxury Touring Community website the NGK MR8A19 Iridium plug works. My understanding is the installation and use is not a problem. I have not yet installed these plugs as I have 6000 miles left on my current plugs but I am always preparing for my next service interval an this is what i will use. YYMMV

From what I understand from the BMW Luxury Touring Community website the NGK MR8A19 Iridium plug works. My understanding is the installation and use is not a problem. I have not yet installed these plugs as I have 6000 miles left on my current plugs but I am always preparing for my next service interval an this is what i will use. YYMMV

Yes, it will work as well as some other alternatives but the MR8A19 does have more threads, some of which may extend into the combustion chamber. That's not a problem in operation since the reach is the same as stock but carbon deposits on those extra threads could cause problems when removing the plugs.

Archived