IGNORED

Russell Day Long

Sonor

I just received back my seats from Russell and with the weather being what it is, I could only sit on my bike in the garage with the new seats. That said, here is a recap of my experiences and what I have learned so far.

I took advantage of a 15% off sale in November. I filled in a form on line and waited to hear from them. After a few days, I sent them an email asking if they had my form. The wrote back saying yes, and that they are honoring the sale. Then also gave me a date of Jan. 15 to have the seats rebuilt stating it would take two weeks. There were other questions sent back and forth all which were answered right off. I mailed the seats off and waited. About a week after the build date of 1/15 I received a call from their technician who talked through the final build with me. He stated that he was about one week behind and apologized. This was all good. He really knew what he was talking about both the seating position of my passenger and me. Case in point, he stated, "I see in the pictures that your rider sits close to you. Does she ride much? cause that is the typical of a non rider." I laughed and said that she has not been on this bike yet. He was correct!!

The seats came back yesterday and I placed them on the bike in the garage. The papers that came with them instructs me on care and feeding plus what to expect during the 1000 mile break in period. All of the interactions with this company have been superior. I must say, I have been riding on a used Russell built for someone else and this one built for me is FANTASTIC. The difference between the two is remarkable. I highly recommend the product and the company.

Russell builds from your stock seats. They put in other pans etc so it really does not look at all like the original seats. Since it is nasty weather, I had it done now in the non-riding time of year. Sad to say, we actually had a number of days that the bike could have been ridden but now that the seats are back the weather is very cold. Oh well, I digress.

I have had 6 or 7 Russell seats. In my opinion, there is no better seat.

They work well for most people. I had one several years ago, it didn't work for me.

They work well for most people. I had one several years ago, it didn't work for me.

Like other body parts; hands, feet and heads, everyone is shaped a little bit differently so it is not surprising that people have different experiences with motorcycle accessories.

I'm riding on a BMS seat and it's wonderful for me. Bought it used from a forum member but it was built for him and we are close to the same size. Had a Kontour that was great. Others, not so much when I tried them. Some riders find the stock seat is just right for them while most find them less than satisfactory.

Once you have a seat that works, you never want to go back to some other brand.

Like other body parts; hands, feet and heads, everyone is shaped a little bit differently so it is not surprising that people have different experiences with motorcycle accessories.

I'm riding on a BMS seat and it's wonderful for me. Bought it used from a forum member but it was built for him and we are close to the same size. Had a Kontour that was great. Others, not so much when I tried them. Some riders find the stock seat is just right for them while most find them less than satisfactory.

Once you have a seat that works, you never want to go back to some other brand.

That's the point I was trying to make. Besides a day-long, I've had Corbin, Diamond, Sargent, BMS, and Laam. THe BMS worked well but the best I've had so far is from Laam.

• 1 month later...
Lone_RT_rider

I had a Sargent seat on my R1100RT for about 30K miles before it was ready for a refurb. At that point I opted to get the Russel done and now have 104K on that bike and as of the last time I road it, it was still supportive and awesome. The only down point was something I did, which was order full leather. It has smoothed out over the years to the point that when I get hard on the brakes I slide right into the tank....OUCH! :)

I loved that seat so much that I now have one on my R1200RT, but this time with the Griptex sport covering. I think I love the seat more than my R1200RT. lol :)

Shawn

P.S. I am ordering parts currently to get the R11RT back on the road. Fernando.... your right, nothing beats the old R11RT :)

• 3 weeks later...
Michael B

Let me chime in and add a word or two. I also have a Russell seat on my 2011 R1200 RT and it beats the heck out of the original. As good as the seat is, I have found their service to be equally outstanding. I had a medical issue and needed to have them reconfigure their seat so I could continue riding. They not only did so, but never charged me a dime, even for shipping. It just doesn't get any better than that! I recommend them!

• 2 weeks later...

I now have hundreds of miles on the seat and it just gets better with each mile. This is not my imagination, it is molding to my ... form let us say. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on my 3rd, on an R80RT, K1200LT, and now R1200RT. They were/are all a little uncomfortable (hard) when I first sit down, but no matter how long I ride, it never gets worse. Very different from most stock seats that feel great for the first 3 minutes, but then progressively get worse until after an hour or so your a** is on fire and your back hurts.

Archived