IGNORED

BMW Recall Lists and Service Bulletins

Doublebassman

Doublebassman

In wanting to get a detailed list of all service activities which had been carried out on my 2010 R1200RT I contacted the dealer who had previously serviced the bike from new and asked them for a download of everything they had carried out on the bike.

They very kindly took screen dumps of everything that had been carried out and sent it to me. This was really useful as, whilst I had the fully stamped up service log, this just included dates and mileages, but didn't specify what had been done.

What amazed me however was the list of items replaced which were not part of the routine services. I knew about the infamous fuel strip, and was relieved to see that had been replaced in August 2011. However, I was not expecting to see items such as front and rear discs, the heated seat, 2 callipers (over a year after replacing the discs), handlebars, a fork bridge, switches, and a £280 control unit.

To me this seems like a huge amount of equipment for a high quality 5 year old bike with only 22,000 miles on the clock.

The bike did have an extended BMW insurance warranty which was transferred over to me when I bought it in June last year, so should other things fail I'm hoping I'm covered.

Has anyone one else had issues with these items, and if so are they likely to have been replaced as part of a recall? I do know the bike has not been involved in an accident or has been dropped, and the time intervals between the parts being replaced confirm this, however I am bemused that so much has been replaced.

I'm also concerned now as I wonder if I may have to replace them again in time if the replacement items were of the same design as the originals - ie does the fuel strip only have a finite life? I do have part numbers for all the replacement parts.

Also, and I'm sure this has been asked before, does anyone have a list of recalls and bulletins for UK models which may suggest why these items were replaced?

I'm reluctant to ask the dealer again as they were very kind to produce the original information for me (even though I bought the bike privately) and I now use a different dealer.

Many thanks,

Chris

In the USA at least, BMW has extended the warranty for the fuel strip to 12 years, indicating they feel the latest version is improved and will not likely fail again within that period.

Archived