IGNORED

What year R1200RT??

RTinNC

I am in pre-planning on a possible upgrade to my '06 RT and was wondering:

What year did they go back to a fuel float and stopped using the fuel strip?

What was the last year for the "traditional" switch gear with a right and left turn signal button and cancel on the right?

What year did they start using the "wonder wheel" switch gear? (this may be the same year they went to one turn signal button too.

Basically I am looking for a R1200RT without a fuel strip, with traditional switch gear and no wonder wheel. I suspect it is a '09 or '10 but not sure. I am sure you guys know for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ed,

The 2010 R1200RT has a fuel strip & a fuel pump recall. My riding buddy owns one, he also had to get the switch-gear replaced. I think the 2011 has the same setup.

All was done n/c through a BMW dealership.

I have a 2012 RT. The switch-gear was replaced n/c and there are no other problems/recalls with it. It also has a vented final drive, which is supposed to reduce pressure in there somewhere and prevent the final drive from failing. Also, no fuel strip, a traditional float, I believe.

I have the wonder wheel and it has been no problem since I bought the bike new in 2012.

My buddy's 2010 has 40K KM & mine has 35K KM, no problems otherwise. I can check the valves in 30 minutes, if there are no shims needed.

I think the last year for the "traditional" switch gear was 2009. Not sure about the turn signals, but my guess is 2009 too.

Good luck, I am guessing you will like the camhead, which was introduced to the RT in 2010.

Basically I am looking for a R1200RT without a fuel strip, with traditional switch gear and no wonder wheel. I suspect it is a '09 or '10 but not sure.

No such beast.

'09 was the last year of the old (IMO, better) switchgear, '10 still had a fuel strip.

I am in pre-planning on a possible upgrade to my '06 RT and was wondering:

What year did they go back to a fuel float and stopped using the fuel strip?

What was the last year for the "traditional" switch gear with a right and left turn signal button and cancel on the right?

What year did they start using the "wonder wheel" switch gear? (this may be the same year they went to one turn signal button too.

Basically I am looking for a R1200RT without a fuel strip, with traditional switch gear and no wonder wheel. I suspect it is a '09 or '10 but not sure. I am sure you guys know for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Hexhead has everything bar the fuel float. Late build (post 2011?) Camhead have the float but new style switches.

Lots and lots of discussion about what causes fuel strip failures: basically some will break down in no time and some will go on forever. :P

Lots and lots of discussion about what causes fuel strip failures: basically some will break down in no time and some will go on forever. :P

I'm seeing fewer reports of fuel strip failures as time goes on, though the replacement strip may not be perfect. Since the strip warranty is now 12 years, I use the trip meter as a fill-'er-up indicator and will consider any strip failure as a temporary nuisance, not a deal breaker.

Since they've extended the fuel strip warranty to 12 years and are therefore giving them away if they fail, it seems logical to assume BMW has persuaded their supplier to make a version that doesn't fail. I imagine the supplier is paying for the replacements.

I'm seeing fewer reports of fuel strip failures as time goes on, though the replacement strip may not be perfect. Since the strip warranty is now 12 years, I use the trip meter as a fill-'er-up indicator and will consider any strip failure as a temporary nuisance, not a deal breaker.

Apprently the 12-year "goodwill warranty" is a US-only clause since I've only heard about it on this board.

Mine as 94000km on it. It has played a few tricks over the years but so far it's still functioning. Fingers crossed, knocking wood etc. ;)

OK ... so if I understand the posts .... 2012 has the float and no strip but will have to deal with the new switch gear. So I guess pick your poison ... rule strip or new switch gear with wonder wheel. Thanks!! Guess I now will need to factor in color.

Since my dealer tells me there is so solution for the fuel strip other than replace with the same product. Mine on my 2006 lasted 7 years. But the service manager tells me they can last a 6 months or 6 years. However, I hear the new switch gear is an improved design. I guess I will just need to live with the new switch gear. Really like my cam head GS and prefer not to have the wet head.

As always thanks for the info!

I recommend the 2013. I decidedto buy one, my first BMW, because:

1. Last year of the air-cooled boxer with 35 years of refinement.

2. Last year of Herr Getrag's bucket of gears with a stick attached - not perfect, but its imperfections are known.

3. Higher seat, which I prefer.

4. Normal turn signals. I did not learn on them, really prefer the same switchgear I have used for 40+ years. I know this is a detriment for lots of you.

5. GS911 allows lots of control.

May you enjoy whatever you get! The RT has earned its reputation...

2. Last year of Herr Getrag's bucket of gears with a stick attached - not perfect, but its imperfections are known.

We all complain about the agricultural nature of BMW transmissions (there's a /5 in the garage -- I *know* agricultural!) but I have to say the tranny on my 2012 R12RT is the smoothest I've ever experienced on a BMW. The R12's gearbox is markedly better than my 2013 K16's.

I'm on a 2009 RT and wanted to upgrade so I demoed a 2015 wet head & did not like it for a few reasons. I then rode a 2013 RT & loved the motor and the rest of the bike had everything I like about the 09 but better. I want one and have my 2009 up for sale. IMO the fuel strip and bad switches are a small price to pay for such a great bike. It seems a lot of guys get upset with some of the BMW problems & right fully so myself included but the RT's do so much right it keeps us coming back for more. I would think a well cared for 2010 would be as good as a 2013. If you like the RT's get another ride it lot & enjoy it. Good luck with your search.

They went to the new switch gear in 2010 with the CamHead engine. I came from a 2005 R12GS and after getting accustomed to the new switch gear I never really gave it any more thought. The CamHead engine and driveline is slightly more refined and, in my opinion, smoother. It is my understanding that all 2010's and some very early 2011's have fuel strips so if looking at 2011 you may want to confirm. :deal

They went to the new switch gear in 2010 with the CamHead engine. I came from a 2005 R12GS and after getting accustomed to the new switch gear I never really gave it any more thought. The CamHead engine and driveline is slightly more refined and, in my opinion, smoother. It is my understanding that all 2010's and some very early 2011's have fuel strips so if looking at 2011 you may want to confirm. :deal

Thanks for the info! Have to agree about the Camhead motor. I love my 2006 Hexhead but my 2012 GSA is even better. Looks like I will just need to get over the switch gear change and look for a 2012 Camhead to avoid the fuel strip. The strip on my '06 lasted 7 years but I also know they can last 7 years or 7 months.

Thanks again!

Archived