IGNORED

Which after market brake pads?

John K

Hello everyone,

I am almost due a new set of brake pads on my 04 RT and I wanted to get your recommendations on aftermarket brake pads.

I would appreciate if you could share your suggestions on the brand name and the part number/model of the pads both for front and rear.

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

I am almost due a new set of brake pads on my 04 RT and I wanted to get your recommendations on aftermarket brake pads.

I would appreciate if you could share your suggestions on the brand name and the part number/model of the pads both for front and rear.

I have used EBC pads extensively and they seem pretty good in general.

They offer a standard "organic" pad (e.g. their #FA18 that fits my K100), and a supposedly higher friction sintered copper "HH" pad (e.g. F18HH, again for the K100). Look at their website for a downloadable list of what fits what.

I found no significant performance difference betwween the normal pads and their HH pads, in spite of their claims of better stopping power.

What I did find was that the HH pads squealed like crazy on the front brakes (only) on my particular bike. They made no noise on the rears, even though the calipers and pads are all identical.

Another thing was that the HH pads caused an amazing amount of surface corrosion on the disks when the bike was parked overnight after salt had been put on the roads that day. The extremely high copper content of the pads apparently formes a galvanic couple with the disk, and wherever the disk stopped, there was a dark imprint on it from the pad together with some light pitting. The disks with HH pads also seemed to have a general rust coating after after a salty day (so to speak).

The standard EBC organic pads seem to last about the same as the HH ones (I get ~25-30 thousand km), and are somewhat cheaper too. So I'm sticking with the standard ones!

Bob.

Here's another vote for the EBC organic (a.k.a. 'black') pads. I've used them front and rear and have been happy with the performance... good feel and easy on the expensive rotors. I was thinking about trying the HH compound but after reading Bob's post I guess I'll pass on that...

russell_bynum

I have the EBC "HH" pads on the front of my RT and I'm happy with them. Before that, I had Ferodo pads...I forget which model, but they were equivalent to the EBC HH and performed about the same.

The Ferodo pads seemed to squeal when I'd use light braking, but I can't recall the EBC's ever doing that.

I've got Galfer HH pads on my CBR, which are also quite good.

Given the grabby nature of the power brakes, I would probably lean more towards a stock pad instead of aftermarket with even more "bite"...but that's just my opinion.

I switched from EBC to Vesrah pads on my race bike and what a difference. The EBC pads SUCK in comparison. I'm not sure what Vesrah makes for BMW's, but I use RJL's on my racer and they absolutely ROCK!

BTW, I always bead blast my rotors before installing new pads. This get's out small contaminants trapped in the metal. It really does make a noticeable difference.

Further, the Vesrah's require almost no bed in time where EBC's require careful bedding in.

I plan to try the EBC Organic pads for the reasons cited. To sum up what I've read, they provide excellent stopping while being easy on your expensive rotors. Racing pads might stop you better but might eat a set of rotors in 10k miles. --Jerry

Sorry not to high jack this:

Can any one confirm or correct me, I want to order Brake Pads from Motobins.

Are these correct for a 2000 R1100RT

#22662 front

#22665 rear

Thanks as Always,

Dave

Archived