IGNORED

Hyper brake lights

cris nitro

I am installing a hyper-lite brake light only kit on my 2010 1200RT and have a question. With the brake only kit, the directions call for red wire to go to the brake light wire.

I tied it into the combo brake/taillight wire right at the taillight socket temporarily to make sure everything works before I trim wires and mount everything.

However, tying into the combo line makes the hyper lites light with key on and then flash much brighter with the brake applied.

So my question is, can I leave it in this set up, or do I need to go further "upstream" and find a brake light only wire? They seem pretty bright when only on as taillights and I'm thinking this would be a problem for drivers behind me.

I am going to call them this morning and also get their input.

Thanks for any help.

Cris

Morning Cris

Unfortunately there is no BRAKE LIGHT ONLY wire. The brake lights have no stand alone switches as they are controlled from within the ABS controller.

You can probably live with what you have working now, or better yet, call hyper-lite to ask their recommendations.

The Rocketman

I recently installed them on my '09.

What I bought was:

U32 Kit Twin 16 LED’s w/module Running lights/braking for $ 93.95.

If you got the brake-only ones, they shouldn't be lighting at all with just the key turned on. You may have inadvertently gotten the running light/brake light combo version, rather than just the brake light only version.

What you are describing is exactly how my combo kit functions.

No, I definitely have the brake only. I talked to Ron at Hyper- lites this morning and he told me that the way it is connected is correct and it is perfectly acceptable for the led's to be on with the tail lights.

Did your kit have two wires for the lights, one for tail and one for brake? Mine only has a red wire which is to be wired to the brake light switch.

The Rocketman

If I remember correctly, I'm pretty certain I have a single red wire direct to the brake light and a gray wire to an ignition switched hot from my FuzeBlock. Same gray wire can go to any ignition switched hot, including the tail lights. I think the HL module is what determines if the LEDs function as a single or dual product.

As per HL install instructions:

"If installing the Flashing Brake Only kit, the Hyper-Lite modules will flash when the brake is applied.

If installing the Dual Function kit, the Hyper-Lite modules will be on as running lights then become brighter and flash when the

brake is applied."

Seems like your brake-only kit is working like the Dual Function Kit. Weird....

Seems like your brake-only kit is working like the Dual Function Kit. Weird....

Afternoon Rocketman

His brake light input is also the tail light input as his bike only has ONE rear light input wire.

The same rear bulb wire supplies modulated "reduced current" at a lower pulsed voltage to light the rear bulb at part intensity for tail light. That same (one wire) then goes to full (non pulsed) power for brake light.

With only one input to the Hyper-Lite module it sees dual voltage input.

The Rocketman

That makes sense. So it seems there is no choice. With a brake-only HL module, you automatically get running lights and flashing brake lights.

As for annoying drivers behind you, I have HL's on 3 of my 4 bikes and nobody has ever complained. If you're concerned you can try angling the modules down a little before you permanently affix them, and walk far away and see what other drivers will see. Just remember, that when you sit on the bike it will dip down a little and change the angle of those lights.

They work real well and other riders have mentioned how bright and noticeable they are. Anything to wake up the cage behind me, is a good thing.

So if you have the brake/taillight combo hyper lite, how come it only has one wire tied into the light circuit? I would think there would be one wire for the brake circuit and another for the taillight circuit. I thinking it is all the same, they just charge more for the combo unit.

That's exactly what I am going to do, tie it all together and temporarily mount the lites and look at it from the rear at night to see what it looks like. I'm most concerned that the running lights will make the turn signals less visible.

Also, where did you mount them? I was thinking either on top of the turn signal stalks or replace the reflectors on the side of the license plate with the hyper lites.

Afternoon Cris

On 2 input wire systems (like the old separate tail light brake light bikes) the tail light input would go to the tail light wire & the brake light input would go to the brake light wire.

On single wire variable current systems like the 1200RT the tail light input could go to something like the rear accessory socket 12V wire to light the tail light part-- BUT without a very sophisticated sensor circuit the brake light part would still be lit at part intensity from the 8 volts on the brake light wire all the time the brakes are not applied.

The Rocketman

where did you mount them?

I'll take a photo of where I mounted them when I get home from work and post it here. Also, the HyperLights do not over-power the turn signals. Everything is clear and distinct. If I can get a picture with both on at the same time, I'll post that too.

The Rocketman

I bought the HyperLights mounting bracket for $10.50 but you can easily fabricate your own from something at Home Depot, or mount them on the sides of your reflectors, facing backwards, as long as the peel-and-stick tape is on the correct side of the light module or just buy some 3M double-side tape if necessary.

This is what I bought:

http://www.hyperlites.com/bracket.html

Here's where mine are mounted:

Both_zpsg7focoye.jpg

Side view in relation to reflectors:

single2_zpsn3fsqgdu.jpg

single1_zpswkmul5dz.jpg

Hazard Lights with just running lights:

running_zps1lu0vfzb.jpg

Hazard Lights with brake lights:

brakes_zpsyyrv3dms.jpg

It is very difficult to photograph these LED lights due to their relative brightness and LED flicker, but you can clearly see the difference between the amber turn signals, the bike's stock brake light, and the HyperLight brake lights. I wanted my HL's as low as I could get them and didn't want to sacrifice the lateral reflectors. Although on my other 2 BMWs, I did mount them on the reflectors. Its only a matter of 2" or so, but that's what worked for me. BTW, these pictures were taken about 10-15' behind the bike in my closed garage. They will look fairly similar from a further distance, and the glare will be gone as seen with the naked eye.

One last thing, you spend a lot more time riding in daylight than at night. The HyperLights are very visible in the daytime too, and again, will not over-power your turn signals.

Hope this helps some.

One more photo with the garage door open, flash on and standing about 25' away:

DSCN3019_zpssgd3ccwm.jpg

The Rocketman

I would not mount them on top of the turn signals. I think that would result in too much concentrated light in one area. Same reason I have my MotoLights down low on the front calipers...to create that "triangle" of light, and to be more noticeable. These RT's seem inherently dark in the back. I think spreading things out back there gives folks behind you a better idea of what's exactly in front of them, and makes it easier for them to see you-like a wide vs. narrow profile, I guess. Mounting them directly on the sides of the reflectors would be my 2nd choice (gotta get the angle right), but as they say (and I still don't know who they are), YMMV.

Rocketman;

Thanks for all that info and the pictures. I like your thinking in mounting them lower to create a "triangle of light", did you steal that from GWB? lol

Off to HD to make a bracket. Thanks for all your help. You too, DR.

Have a great weekend.

I talked to Ron at Hyper- lites this morning and he told me that the way it is connected is correct and it is perfectly acceptable for the led's to be on with the tail lights.

Same thing with me on my '13. I haven't gone past the temp/test setup yet. I'd rather not have the lights stay on.

Ron say's it's acceptable, did he mention an alternative hookup.

No he did not. There really is no other way to hook them up as there is only one "control" wire, the red one, which gets wired into the combo circuit wire.

I finished it up yesterday and it works just like Rocketman's, I'm happy the way it is.

Archived