IGNORED

Keys

Lubehead

Bike was delivered yesterday.I was on the road. Came with one key and no manual. Delivery guy says I was informed the manual would be coming later ( which I was not). Does the bike come with 2 sets of keys as new?

Yes, two keys and two fobs. Also, a plastic type key that will allow a dealership to make you a copy if needed. My shop keeps that one on file.

Pat

Two keys and two fobs, plus dealer gave me the plastic one. In addition to the Rider's Manual there should be a couple of books on Audio/Pairing and a Supplemental Instructions on Pairing. A Consumer Warranty Information booklet is thrown in for good measure.

As for the manual, in the meantime you can download the manual for the 2013 model from BMW Motorrad USA's website (Look under Service and Maintenance - Rider's Manual). I

do have to ask, where would the manual be? Did they forget it in Berlin?

Yes, two keys and two fobs. Also, a plastic type key that will allow a dealership to make you a copy if needed. My shop keeps that one on file.

Pat

That's not really true. Many years ago, when new bikes came with at least 4 keys, a lot of dealers, including the one I worked at, kept 1 key in the service file in case the customer dropped the bike off before hours, or lost all his keys over time.

With the chipped keys, the dealer does not make keys.

If a key is needed, they order it by VIN from BMW and it is delivered via Fed-Ex normally within 1-2 business days.

The plastic key is a "wallet key" made small to tuck in your wallet, and some riders hide it on thier bike somewhere so they can forget about it a few years later.

If it was my 20 some-thousand, I would get my wallet key back unless you might find it handy for the before hours drop off.

I almost suspect your dealer has been around many years and does it by habit or the sales people don't know how new keys are acquired.

Yes two keys one key has the BMW logo the other not. Plus a plastic wallet key, it is also chiped so it works as the other keys but you wouldn't want to use it often it's an "emergency key".

My 02R1150RT came with 2 keys plus 4 keys without the rubber top. BMW keys are made of steel, not brass. If you have a blank and want it cut a lot of locksmiths won't because the steel is too hard on the cutting blade.

Jay

Yes two keys one key has the BMW logo the other not. Plus a plastic wallet key, it is also chiped so it works as the other keys but you wouldn't want to use it often it's an "emergency key".

My 02R1150RT came with 2 keys plus 4 keys without the rubber top. BMW keys are made of steel, not brass. If you have a blank and want it cut a lot of locksmiths won't because the steel is too hard on the cutting blade.

Jay

I need to add since I have central locking 2 fob where included

Jay

From what I understand, the number of keys you receive at bike delivery had become an evolutionary process. The first bikes delivered ( without central locking ) were delivered with one metal key and the emergency plastic key. After a while it was determined that there was a problem with the plastic key so they were eliminated and new bikes were delivered with two metal keys and no plastic emergency key.

To those receiving delivery of 2015 R1200rtlc's, are you receiving a plastic key?

From what I understand, the number of keys you receive at bike delivery had become an evolutionary process. The first bikes delivered ( without central locking ) were delivered with one metal key and the emergency plastic key. After a while it was determined that there was a problem with the plastic key so they were eliminated and new bikes were delivered with two metal keys and no plastic emergency key.

To those receiving delivery of 2015 R1200rtlc's, are you receiving a plastic key?

Yeah, I did receive a plastic key with the "keyless" fob! Funny isn't it? When the '14 RT was delivered to me, I had gotten the two metal keys and no plastic one. My dealer had told me pretty much what you'd said, and then for the '15 the plastic key made its reappearance!

What bugs me isn't just the "evolution" of the keys and number of them.

We always used the BMW delivery checklist.

We would go over the bike item by item, check it off and the customer signed to verify we had covered all the areas.

Everything from all systems, shifting, putting on centerstand, tire inflation, tool kit, keys , any damage

to the bike, manuals, etc.

Then the mega dealers came along and started delivering bikes anywhere in the country. Drop the bike off by delivery and no going over it which wasn't kosher when I was selling them, yet BMW gave favored status and pricing to these dealership making it harder and harder to compete.

Strange.

Do what you were supposed to do according to the franchise agreement and yet others could do whatever.

Many times we had riders stop in after buying a bike elsewhere with questions or problems from lack of PDI from seller.

Even saw "new" bikes that had been sold internally at the dealerships to collect rebates and shocked customers who found out they were second owner of record and warranty had already been activated months ago.

Depending on what era, bikes came with a couple of headlight keys, 2-3 rubber coated full keys and a half key, 2 keys with the plastic half key, one key with the plastic half key, then the combos listed above.

We kept the key ID in the sales file, we also either kept the plastic key or gave it to the customer depending on the customers wishes.

All bikes were delivered w/applicable manuals (we went through those w/customer before delivery).

There is abslutely no reason for all items not to be available at time of sale including anexplanation of key replacement process.

Sad to read about the lack of professionalism from dealerships still being tolerated by the mothership.

:(

Best wishes.

Page 47 of the Owners Manual Says

Steering and ignition lock

Keys

"You are provided with 2 Ignition keys.

Should you lose your keys, refer to the information regarding the electronic immobilizer (EWS)"

I can confirm I received 2 identical keys and 2 identical key fobs for central lock and alarm. Dealer confirmed at the time of delivery, BMW stopped plastic emergency key for my model.

Page 47 of the Owners Manual Says

Steering and ignition lock

Keys

"You are provided with 2 Ignition keys.

Should you lose your keys, refer to the information regarding the electronic immobilizer (EWS)"

I can confirm I received 2 identical keys and 2 identical key fobs for central lock and alarm. Dealer confirmed at the time of delivery, BMW stopped plastic emergency key for my model.

This is what I received from my dealer, also. My bike was a buy back.

• 3 weeks later...

it's an interesting mix. New 2015 (blue) picked up 1-31. One remote (w/hard key built in) and one plastic key (keyless ride model). Had to buy the backup remote of course.........

On a buyback you are purchasing a used bike, so the extra key will depend more on whether the original owner turned it in with the bike.

On a NEW bike, there should be two hard keys, and also two remotes if the bike is equipped with the remote locking package.

It is on the Dealer to provide both sets to you. If they don't, they are just too lazy to go get them from where they store them, as BMW will surely ship with two sets. I'll bet a call to BMW would net the second keyset rather quickly.....

On a buyback you are purchasing a used bike, so the extra key will depend more on whether the original owner turned it in with the bike.

On a NEW bike, there should be two hard keys, and also two remotes if the bike is equipped with the remote locking package.

It is on the Dealer to provide both sets to you. If they don't, they are just too lazy to go get them from where they store them, as BMW will surely ship with two sets. I'll bet a call to BMW would net the second keyset rather quickly.....

Not so for the '15RT with keyless ride that he was talking about! All that you will get from BMW is what he had gotten - one keyless fob and one plastic key, and that is it!

Well, I stand corrected!

That does not mean I think having only one key/key fob is acceptable for a "keyless" vehicle. The last 3 cars my wife has had have keyless ignition. I have on a few occasions took the second keyfob with me and got her car at work, brought it home to do maintenance and took it back. There is no way I would be happy with only one keyfob.

And let me add that I absolutely HATE keyless ignitions! I don't trust them. We had trouble with one of her cars already. I like to use the key/remote to lock and unlock. Sure, you can pull the keyless fob out of your pocket and use the buttons on it to lock/unlock. But that sort of defeats the purpose. There, I feel better......

I don't disagree with you at all! I had gotten the keyless ride only because this is my first vehicle with such feature (I tend to keep my cars for a LONG time), and I was intrigue with the toy!

• 2 weeks later...

I collected my 15RT with keyless ride all I got was one keyless fob and one plastic key, perhaps that what "keyless ride" means?

Of course I can purchase the second key for £170, good grief as if paying extra for blue paint was not bad enough, you have to purchase the spare key as an extra! Oh and they did not even put the blue paint on front part of the bike, just left it grey!

Freedom Outlaw

My bike 14, new came with two metal keys with fobs and the plastic key.

Maybe I am missing something here but I fail to see any benefit to keyless ignition if you don't have the fob. What would be the difference between me losing a key (say while on the road and access to my other key was not readily accessible.) versus losing the fob. Either way you are stuck with an immobile bike.

If I wanted to go the keyless route I'd much prefer it to what I have at my home and office..a keypad.

If I were to forget the combination a simple phone call would give me access to the start button or hidden key. I'll never go back to a key for my office or home because I don't have to worry about forgetting them. There are five people who have the code to my office so were I to forget it, odds are at least One of the people would be available to give me the code.

These combo locks do come with a backup key, one of which is hidden at my home, the other my office. This is primarily in case the battery were to go bad or a mechanical function. This option does not even exist on the keyless ignition or do they come with a key too or some other way of starting the bike without the fob.

Perhaps I am missing something here. If you lose the fob you are SOL, same thing with a key. A keypad you can't forget.

What benefit to a fob am I missing here other than the "cool" factor? Help me out here perhaps I am in the dark about something, I don't own anything with a Fob to start a vehicle.

No disrespect meant to anyone with a 15 with the Fob, I am just throwing this out there.

Maybe I am missing something here but I fail to see any benefit to keyless ignition if you don't have the fob.

There is none -- just as there's no advantage to non-keyless ignition without a key.

What would be the difference between me losing a key (say while on the road and access to my other key was not readily accessible.) versus losing the fob. Either way you are stuck with an immobile bike.

Well, yes. But that is not the purpose of keyless.

The only benefit of keyless is simple convenience. I have a Corvette with a fob/keyless operation. Being able to just walk up and get in/start is very convenient -- no fumbling for a key. No other advantage of which I'm aware.

If I wanted to go the keyless route I'd much prefer it to what I have at my home and office..a keypad.

The keypad idea would only be useful for getting into the bags, for example, to grab something without having to run back into the house to find a fob (exactly how I use our F-150's door keypad). I wouldn't want a keypad that can operate the ignition -- too easy to defeat by guesswork.

These combo locks do come with a backup key, one of which is hidden at my home, the other my office. This is primarily in case the battery were to go bad or a mechanical function. This option does not even exist on the keyless ignition or do they come with a key too or some other way of starting the bike without the fob. Perhaps I am missing something here. If you lose the fob you are SOL, same thing with a key.

Yes, they do come with a "dead" or lost fob option. There is the flat (wallet-friendly) "emergency" key, and the fob has a built-in "key" stick. If the fob's battery dies, you either stick the emergency key into the gap between the instrument cluster and the dash to "authorize" the computer to start the bike, or you remove the right speaker cover and stick the fob's "key" behind the cluster to do the same thing, so you are not completely SOL if you lose the fob. That is at least as good as with a vehicle access (but not vehicle start) keypad -- you can keypad your way into my F-150, but if you've lost the key you still can't start the engine).

No disrespect meant to anyone with a 15 with the Fob, I am just throwing this out there.

Same here -- just providing a response.

FWIW, I'm agnostic on the subject. The '15 I expect to pick up this week has keyless, but only because it came with it, not because I was seeking a model with it.

My only problem with the BMW implementation is the lack of a second fob.

The '15 I picked up last week has keyless, but only because it came with it, not because I was seeking a model with it.

My only problem with the BMW implementation is the lack of a second fob.

+1

However I have found when "fiddling" with the new bike in the garage (key in pocket) it is great to be able to just push the starter button rather than having to put it in the ignition and then remembering to remove it again when going back indoors for a brew or whatever.

So to me it seems the advantage of "keyless" is not that there is no key (because there is a key/fob and it must be in your pocket), the advantage is that you can just walk up to your bike get on press a button and ride away. At the other end you just get off and walk away, the bike is left secure and the alarm sets without you having to do anything.

Freedom Outlaw

Thanks for the information. I don't own any vehicles that have a fob, strange they would do that on the F150.

I agree, BMW should provide two fobs.

Guest Kakugo

My Kawasaki came with two keyless fobs. No backup's were provided apart from two keys for the side cases.

I found the whole thing to be completely useless, and I am still charitable. Should I ever buy a Wethead, I'll just opt for the old fashioned key, even if I have to order and wait for the bike.

If I am not mistaken, the do provide 2 fobs for the K1600s!
only if is keyless. Gt

Yeah, but they provide 2 to the 1 for the RT, right?

Archived