IGNORED

Need Help Picking Shocks for a 2002 1150RT

powerman

I have put together a comparison table between, Wilber's, Ohlins and Works performance shocks see table http://www.kueglers.org/1150RTShocks.pdf. I know there are others brands of shocks but haven't researched them and probably won't due to time.

I have no other experience with any of these shocks except the research I've done developing the table and reading posts on this board. I have no experience with racing or setting up shocks, I am however a technical dude and understand the technical THEORY of shocks / springs and damping but I need your experience on the PRACTICAL aspects of these which I lack.

From my perspective:

All the front shocks are similar; all have adj preloded and adjustable rebound.

The rear is were its at. If you want to get adjustable compression damping you need to go with the Wilbers in which you get remotely mounted high and low speed compression damping. The ohlins seem to be overpriced with the value going to the works shock with the same capabilities or possible that the ohlins are that much better. Both ohlins and Works only have adjustable rebound damping in the rear. All have hydraulic rear preload as standard or an option.

I believe both Wilber and ohlins rebound adjust is on the fixed portion of the piston shaft. Works requires an Allen wrench.

Questions:

1) Is the added benefit of the adjustable hi and low speed damping worth it due to extra hassle setting them up or possibly setting them incorrectly?

2) Were does the wilbers remote reservoir mounted?

3) Do the damping settings change over time, a lot, a little, not at all? Also with respect to each other does one brand hold or loose its adjustments more or less than the other.

4) Hassles with adjustments, hard to reach adjustment etc.

5) Any difference in longevity between the brands.

Let me know if anything is incorrect so I can fix the table

Any comments or insight are appreciated.

I can only speak to the Wilbers as that's what I chose.

Questions:

1) Is the added benefit of the adjustable hi and low speed damping worth it due to extra hassle setting them up or possibly setting them incorrectly?

Really difficult to get a valid answer to this question as most people probably haven't bought both and those with it must have thought it was worth it and those without probably thought it wasn't. tongue.gif I will add that after talking to Klaus and receiving my Wilbers, it only took me 7 extra laps around my "test track" to set the compression damping. Added 2 clicks, better, added 2 more, worse, took off 1, better, took off 1 more, worse. Similar with the other adjustment but wound up only 1 click from the way they were shipped.

In the triangle of the subframe on the opposite side from the preload.

3) Do the damping settings change over time, a lot, a little, not at all? Also with respect to each other does one brand hold or loose its adjustments more or less than the other.

Haven't noticed them shifting much to this point with about 18k on them. The settings will change with a different load. Nice if you frequently switch between solo and 2-up or sporting and touring.

All the adjustments are easy to reach and change with the exception of the initial setting of the sag. The knurled rings on the body of the shocks for rebound damping are easier than the stock in that you don't need to have a screwdriver. You do need a screwdriver to change the compression damping, though.

I doubt there is a discernable difference, especially between Ohlins and Wilbers which appear to be slightly higher quality than the Works. I was going to send mine in this winter, but didn't ride as much as I thought last summer so plan to try to wait until next year.

Questions:

The more adjustments, the greater the possibility for error. However, the greater the chance of getting the shocks tuned to absolute perfection. My perspective says that lo/hi compression damping adjustments are best suited to sport bikes. What we do with our RT's, while certainly sporty in nature, cannot compare to the track day demands of, say, a Gixxer 1000. IOW, it's a bit of overkill.

Dunno. No experience with Wilburs.

I had to laugh when you mentioned that it takes an allen wrench to adjust the rebound damping on the Works shocks. You're right, of course, but I haven't had to adjust mine since I first set them up, and that's through 80,000 miles and two rebuilds. So, at least on the Works shocks, no, they settings don't drift.

One of the adjustments that my Works came with is the ARS (Adjustable Rate System). It's a simple collar system which dictates when the shock transitions from the lighter to the heavier rate spring. It makes going from one-up to two-up a snap. And, unlike a screw-type hydraulic preload adjuster, I hit the same spot every time. I do have to remove the left black side panel to get to it (about 5 seconds), since the collar sits at the bottom of the shock, but what a marvelous and quick adjustment to have.

I've been on this board for going on 6 years. Several members here have the Works Performance shocks. I've never heard of a single one blowing or leaking. I have heard of two or three Ohlins breaking down, but to be honest there are a lot more Ohlins out there than there are Works. I haven't heard of any problems with the Wilburs, although they're a lot newer to the U.S. than the other two brands.

As you can tell, I'm quite fond of my Works Performance Shocks. I work for a dealership and we sell the Ohlins (Works Performance is a SoCal company so customers who want them usually ride over there and buy factory-direct), and I can tell you that Ohlins quality is very good, but Works quality is exceptional. Everything is billet aluminum or the highest grades of steel. The seals are the highest quality (perhaps that's why we haven't sean any leakers), the factory will custom build not only to your weight, but to your riding style and damping preferences, they use only world-class Eibach springs, Works Performance are made in the USA and still they're not quite as expensive as the euro-imports. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. But if I had to put my money down again, my choices would be Works, Wilburs, then Ohlins. And, apart from price, I know I'd be pleased with the performance of all of them.

Hope this stuff helps.

Thought about starting a new thread for this question, but we probably don't need 200 threads on shocks. grin.gif

Has anyone tried Works "Heart Transplant" option for stock BMW RT shocks? I've heard that stock shocks "aren't rebuildable", but that a good tech can change that. Works states: "A Heart Transplant is the closest thing to a Works shock for a fraction of the price. Complete new piston, ring, and valving components. ... Rather than just add a few shims, Works installs a new piston of the same design used in the Works UltraCross rear shock.".

Sounds like an interesting option at about half the price of new Works shocks. I'm an RT sport-TOUR guy, not an RS twisties SPORT guy, so rebuilt shocks might work for guys like me.

thanks for the info, i think I'm leaning towards the wilbers but being swayed to the ohlins since my local dealer is supose to become a ohlins authorized tuning center. laying out $1500 which is 15-20% percent of the value of the bike makes you think, but track day is coming up quick.

I just put a set of Wilbers on my '04 RT today. I haven't had experience with any other brand expect the stock Showas. The Wilbers make the RT handle like it should! I had no idea it could handle this well.

just put a set of Wilbers on my '04 RT today. I haven't had experience with any other brand expect the stock Showas. The Wilbers make the RT handle like it should! I had no idea it could handle this well

i just broke down and sent klaus a message indicating I'm ready to buy the wilbers. I can't wait to put them on and go for a ride.

how are you setting yours up?

Eric,

Klaus sets them up based on your weight, riding style, one up/two-up preference for rebound, high and low speed compression damping and pre-load.

He also provides what look like very good set-up instructions for preload and sag.

I haven't checked the settings yet. I had the fairing and bags off as I still need to adjust my valves. I took it for a short ride ~ 5PM this evening just to see what it felt like. Nice! I don't know how to explain it, it seems to respond quicker with less effort and stays planted.

Archived