IGNORED

Topbox lid removal

hefy_jefy

Been wanting to get this lid painted for a while, finally decided it was time. But removing my lid is a bit more complicated than just the four hinge screws. There are two gas struts, plus electrical connections.

Has anyone done this? It looks like the inner lower liner needs to come out to get access. Bit nervous... (this thing cost $1500). I could just remove the pad and badge and mask off, I was a little disappointed that BMW didn't color match.

The hinges and struts do not need to be removed. The part that you paint is just a shell over top of the actual lid. There are 10 or maybe 12 screws you remove from inside of lid and the shell will come off. I took mine off for painting about 5 weeks ago.

No worries! Takes a Torx driver and about 3 minutes. As stated above you don't have to mess with the hinges or struts. If you have the factory brakelight you might have to disconnect that wire. I installed mine in the parking lot where I got it painted in no time.

You are removing the backrest pad and rear trim piece with the BMW Roundel. Might be a screw on the sides, but don't remember for sure. Then it pretty much lifts off the inner part of the upper section.

OK - well duh, - thanks!.

Some confusion about the difference between this box and the older ones I think, I definitely read somewhere that the lid was not in two bits...

If the top shell can be split then its easy!

Geoff

Archived