IGNORED

Tire mounting and balancing

No_Twilight

I mounted and balanced my first tire tonight. You'll remember we had quite a discussion on wheel balancers lately here. http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/639955/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

Tonight I tried my Cheapo Harbor Freight motorcycle wheel balancer for the first time. I spent the first hour finding the Smartire tire pressure monitoring devices I'd bought on e-bay and put away too well. After that, I installed the the smartire sensors on each wheel (new wheels), mounted the brake rotors on the front wheel, and finally got started on mounting the tire. I cut the fingers off a leather glove and put them on the finger that grab the wheels. Then I had to follow a special procecure to keep from damaging the Smartire but basicly it went on withoug a hitch. The only problem is I forgot to unclamp it before inflating it and captured the fingers between the wheel and tire and I had to take the air back out of it to get it apart.

Balancing took about 20 minutes the first time but I way overdid it. I balanced it to within 1/12 of an oz. My balancing rig is indeed sensitive enough. It could tell the difference between 1/3 of a 1/4 ounce weight and 1/2 of a 1/4 ounce weight (the difference is 1/12 of one oz. Then I gave it a gentle spin and came back 10 minutes later and it was still slowly turning...I'd say this will be the best balanced set of tires I've ever ridden.

I'd say the acutal mounting and balancing took less than an hour the first time. I'll do the front wheel in the morning and put them on the bike for riding to work tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers,

Jerry

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Nice job. I balance my tires to within a 1/4 oz.

Try getting some 5/8" hose and cutting it to 3 5" lengths, then cut each piece open along the side. You can then slip the hose onto the edge of the rim where the tire changer clamps catch it. It works well and ensures no damage. The rubber also "grips" both the rim and machine and keeps the rim from spinning if you add a little extra push on the stubborn tires.

the garden hose suggestion is excellent. Another trick is to use some standard web strap. I have 1 inch wide 1,000 lb rated webbing. I then just wrap the rims spokes to the harbor freight arms using a figure 8 process and the rim never moves works very well. I have two straps, but one might work, or three would be additional over kill.

Also I use one other strap to wrap around the new tire as I am mounting the final bead part, it helps keep the tire in the middle of the rim, and it keeps the tire from slipping. This is especially important if you balance your rim before mounting the new tire and want the light tire spot matched up with the heavy rim spot. using this method most of my tires need no weights.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have trouble keeping the installed part of the tire in the center dip but might use some webbing to keep the wheel from rotating if the garden hose doesn't fix it.

I see how you can balance your rim first but how do you know where the light spot is on the tire?

--Jerry

I see how you can balance your rim first but how do you know where the light spot is on the tire?
Tyres are usually marked at the light spot, Metzlers have a red dot for instance.
Tyres are usually marked at the light spot,

Metzlers have a red dot for instance.

Not necessarily....Metz/Pirelli/Avon are one of the few if not the only brands,that "pre-balance" their tires. All other brands your pretty much on your own.

Lot's of times there's more than one dot/mark on the sidewall. So which dot/mark represents what..???

There might even be a white "UPC code" looking sticker located in the bead area,"is this a mark designating a light spot???"..

Many instances like that, require the "pre-balancing of the wheel" by itself. Makes "final" balancing so much easier.

In the future,these weights should never have to be removed. Spoked rims are known for being out of balance.

Mount the tire and balance again. You'd be surprised at the difference.

Some tire brands are really "out of wack" where other brands require very little weight at all.

Tyres are usually marked at the light spot,

Metzlers have a red dot for instance.

Not necessarily....Metz/Pirelli/Avon are one of the few if not the only brands,that "pre-balance" their tires. All other brands your pretty much on your own.

Lot's of times there's more than one dot/mark on the sidewall. So which dot/mark represents what..???

There might even be a white "UPC code" looking sticker located in the bead area,"is this a mark designating a light spot???"..

I just installed a set of Avon Distanzias, the second set I have installed, and they have no pre-balance marks on them at all.

Jim cool.gif

Archived