IGNORED

R1200 LC Fly-By-Wire

roger 04 rt

I've been working on fueling with the owner of an R1200GS LC. He also has a GS-911 Wifi so is able to log realtime values.

The GS LC uses a fly-by-wire throttle, which means that you turn the throttle control on the right handle bar and the computer controls how far to open the TB butterfly. Below is a chart showing how far the BMSK opens the throttle on the vertical axis, based on where the rider positions the throttle control on the horizontal axis. This was an easy ride so the data only shows up to about 40% throttle.

There are several interesting things you can see:

--The sensitivity of the throttle is lower at small throttle angles, which should make the throttle easier to control.

--At idle, closed throttle, the computer opens the throttle up to 15% and varies it based on conditions.

--At small throttle settings at the handlebar, there are a wide range of possible throttle valve openings. How the throttle at 10% and the BMSK may use values of throttle opening between 4 and 7% (or degrees, not sure yet which units it uses)

I think this chart makes it easy to see that this bike's power control has new dimensions compared to R1150s and R1200s.

R1200GSLCThrotte.jpg

Very interetsing read Roger.

Seems they have come a long way since the early production K1600GT I test rode: the throttle on that bike reminded me of the HRC short run throttle I had on mt track bike: it was extremely sensitive even at small throttle angles.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived