IGNORED

BMW Auxiliary LED Headlights

Lubehead

I will be taking delivery of a new '14 R1200RT next week. I am thinking of having the dealer install the Aux LED headlights. My research doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in getting them as it seems one must go aftermarket (Clearwater etc.) to really make a difference. Anyone here have any insight or experience with the BMW option?

I did not buy them but I did look into it. The reason some might go aftermarket is simply cost. The BMW parts and labor is not cheap. But it will be a factory fit with factory reliability and function. All the parts are available for a bolt on installation, but it takes some time to do.

Hi Lubehead. The main reason folk will have gone aftermarket is cost.

There is sadly a real lack of information about general motorcycle auxilliary lighting in terms of comparison, beam pattern, beam throw, beam control, light colour, comparative dazzling etc.

However, the BMW units are good.

i put them on my 14 RT and they work fine. lots of daytime notice and good at night. i imagine there are better but i wanted factory,put them on illium bars also they show on dash when on

I have them on my K16 (came with the package). They provide light, but nothing great, IMO. Much more effective lights out there. For the BMW OE light money, Clearwater lights are a much better buy.

Clearwaters with CANopener are plug and play for wethead RT's. Everything (dimming, how/when lights come on, etc.) is controlled using existing switchgear, the wonder wheel mostly. Way slick. Lots of BMW dealers sell Clearwaters...does yours?

I have the Clearwater lights on mine and the only thing I would have done different is to buy the BMW light mounts and mount the Clearwaters where the factory lights mount instead of on the forks.

Alan

I'd skip the BMW lights and buy Clearwater (and it's not because of cost; Clearwater lights are not cheap).

Plus, they just work, and work great!

Jim :Cool:

garyindartmoor

Although not necessarily transferable to the RT, I'm aware the positioning of the auxiliary light mounts has caused big problems for some K1600 owners. A simple 'drop' has resulted in the mounting damaging the engine block, with horrendously expensive repercussions. As I say, not necessarily applicable to the RT but worth checking what might happen if you use the OEM mounting and have a minor 'off'.

Another reason for using the Clearwater mounts is, being higher on the bike, they will throw light further down the road. If you only want the lights for other road users to notice you its not an issue, but if required for night riding, the height of the mounting matters.

Although not necessarily transferable to the RT, I'm aware the positioning of the auxiliary light mounts has caused big problems for some K1600 owners. A simple 'drop' has resulted in the mounting damaging the engine block, with horrendously expensive repercussions. As I say, not necessarily applicable to the RT but worth checking what might happen if you use the OEM mounting and have a minor 'off'.

Another reason for using the Clearwater mounts is, being higher on the bike, they will throw light further down the road. If you only want the lights for other road users to notice you its not an issue, but if required for night riding, the height of the mounting matters.

This isn't an issue on the RT, it's the jug that takes the hit if not protected.

Clearwater sells the BMW mount complete in a kit. https://www.clearwaterlights.com//darla_pp.html go down to D59, go to the gallery some nice pictures

Jay

Sounds like you made your mind up already but i'm going to throw in my 2c anyway :)

I didn't look too closely at stock but my experience with clearwater was great. The clearwater lights seem to have quite a few options. For example, I used the ignition trigger wire coming out of the can opener (included in kit) to power on my PDM60. The nice part about that is it is not actually ignition on, but engine running, which I prefer, and I didn't have to cut or splice any factory wires since it works as a pass through to the factory plug on the tire pressure monitor. They also optionally pulse the lights when honking the horn and can trigger an alt brake light assembly if you decide to fit one later.

I am thinking about getting the Krista kit for my '15 RT. Does it come with all the brackets and hardware to simply bolt onto my RT? The chart on their site wasn't clear (to me), and if anything it sounded lke I will need to buy the BMW foglight bracket!

I am thinking about getting the Krista kit for my '15 RT. Does it come with all the brackets and hardware to simply bolt onto my RT? The chart on their site wasn't clear (to me), and if anything it sounded lke I will need to buy the BMW foglight bracket!

I have the clearwater krista kit installed on my 14 RT and the kit came with everything needed for the install. I highly recommend them.

I have the clearwater krista kit installed on my 14 RT and the kit came with everything needed for the install. I highly recommend them.

Thanks! I have been reading a lot of good things about them over the years.

Why not go to their website and download the manual; it includes a graphic of everything that's included, along with the installation instructions, of course.

Why not go to their website and download the manual; it includes a graphic of everything that's included, along with the installation instructions, of course.

I had done that, many times! It doesn't say what components are included in the kit, and as I said, the chart on their site raised questions in my mind whether the bracket to the RT was included or not! That might be just me.

I am very happy with my Krista's on the BMW mount. I am also enjoying the Darla lights (amber Lens cover) on the fork legs.

CAN Opener works well with this combo and there is no such thing as a road that can't be flooded with bright, usable lighting anymore. Dark roads with skunks, deer and turkeys are able to be ridden at speed now and there is a feeling of increased safety when I'm a thousand miles away from home on road with no cell coverage. Can't recommend Glen's company strongly enough

I am very happy with my Krista's on the BMW mount. I am also enjoying the Darla lights (amber Lens cover) on the fork legs.

CAN Opener works well with this combo and there is no such thing as a road that can't be flooded with bright, usable lighting anymore. Dark roads with skunks, deer and turkeys are able to be ridden at speed now and there is a feeling of increased safety when I'm a thousand miles away from home on road with no cell coverage. Can't recommend Glen's company strongly enough

Good lighting is great but people still hit deer in daylight, please be careful

Jay

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking in going Clearwater Krista with the brakets mounted above the mirrors using the PT-P brackets. I'm running PIAAs right now on my bike.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but, I thought this was the appropriate forum to ask this question. To those running the Clearwater lights (Or any Non-BMW driving light) are you having any problems with radio interference with the LED's and the WC-RT?

I had Clearwater Krista's on my 2011 RT and they caused radio interference. Thanks!

I don't have a lot miles on my RTW yet, but I didn't notice any noise through my BMW Communicator headset/Bluetooth from the radio with my Clearwater Ericas. That is *not* a "there's no problem" statement; just my initial reaction.

I have Kristas. I had about 5,000 miles on the bike before I installed them, and have put on more than 1,000 miles since then, with quite a bit of time listening to the sound-system over Bluetooth. I have not noticed any difference. No interference here.

I have 10k milkes with the ericas and 3k since the darlas were added. No interferences. Don't know why you have this. Call them, they have a good service dept. Also make sure the ground is good?

PanMan_3rdDan

Hi, I am based in the UK with a 2014 RT and I am still waiting for my kit! Ordered on the 13th. May. The delay is in the wiring loom for my bike. (Order placed with the UK distributor)

Is anyone else with the RT LC model having to wait this long?

• 1 month later...

I just ordered Erica's for my new bike. I'm going to try to use the Police bikes brackets above the mirrors. Will see if works...

I just ordered Erica's for my new bike. I'm going to try to use the Police bikes brackets above the mirrors. Will see if works...

Eagerly awaiting the results -- while illegal here to run aux lights above the headlight, I had my Ericas on below-mirror mounts on my K16 and *really* liked the range the high position gave as compared to engine guard-level mounts.

Archived