IGNORED

Glare on Nav 5

ncosh

Is anyone else having trouble with the position of the nav 5 on 2015RT being able to see the display. I am experiencing a lot of glare from the sun where I can not see the display unless my body position blocks the sun. Has anyone found a solution to reducing the glare?

Part of the issue is the sun is low in the sky this time of year. There are aftermarket gps hoods, but they will be of limited value when the sun is low.

Can try glare reducing overlay/screen protection common for many electronics.

Can get a generic and cut to size.

A glare reducing hood is easily made with some velco and a cut up plastic file folder,bought at local office supply store.

Just cut a 3 sided hood that is longer on top,tapered on the two sides.

May have to make a few trial versions to see what works best.

JR356

MotoBones - being I purchased the bike in November I was hoping it was the time of year and wanted to see if anyone had the same issue during the summer months. Guess I will wait and see.

Rob- forecast for this weekend mid 50's and sunny - great riding temps - hope you see sun soon

JR356 - thanks for ideas will give it a try and see if helps any.

garyindartmoor

Sorry for being a newbie on this forum who is starting by disagreeing, but isn't the glare due to sun behind the rider washing out the screen image, in which a shroud around the outside/top will have no effect?

Hi Gary, you are talking about the worst case, but often, any time the sun is high, the screen can produce glare or contrast is greatly reduced. Shielding in some way, most definately helps is not cures the issue.

Not necessarily the bike's fault, especially if you consider that people who ride come in different sizes. A couple years ago I rode a friend's K1300GT. The small info display on the dash happened to align perfectly with the reflection off my white helmet. Not matter what direction I was riding, as long as there was daylight it washed out the display entirely. My friend is taller by a couple inches which was enough to obviate the issue for him. I could see the display if I positioned my flattened hand just so to create a shadow, but that also created a giant blind spot in front of me (and I am partial to seeing where I'm going). A shroud would have helped me little if at all. I had a similar glare problem on my ST1300 while wearing a high viz jacket during daylight hours...nuclear green reflection off the clear dash plastic. Using a tank bag blocked the reflection.

Archived