IGNORED

Wheel Sliders?

Hank R1200RT

I did a search and did not find much in the archives directly related to this, but please excuse me if this has been discussed at length before.

Looking to get some axle sliders. There are several vendors. A couple I found on Amazon include:

http://www.amazon.com/K1600GT-R1200GS-R1200RT-Protector-HOR-FP101/dp/B00CLI8RRC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1420923915&sr=1-1&keywords=R1200RT+Slider

http://www.amazon.com/Dimotiv-Slider-R1200GS-R1200RT-Titanium/dp/B00LVUTP04/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1420924827&sr=1-5&keywords=R1200RT+Slider

And there are some sold on eBay as well.

Does anyone have any direct experience with these? Any installation or longevity issues? Or, heaven forbid, did actual use of these during a biff prevent any damage?

Keep the rubber side down..

No direct experience just an opinion. I know everybody has one, an opinion. ;):grin: Thinking either your panniers or your cylinder heads are going to keep them from doing much good. They look pretty cool, though. :thumbsup:

Pat

So let's see ... imagine you have a nice $70K BMW 5-series ...

Will you check Amazon or eBay for curb feelers?

"Sliders" are for teenagers with crotch rockets and fit their budgets don't you think?

Cylinder guards or even also bag guards are more like it at this level

The only brand of protectors I have direct experience with (meaning I went down on the things and they did their job) is R&G of England.

They are impossible to deal with directly (won't even bother replying to emails) but luckily eBay has almost everything.

A true pity since their products do exactly what's written on the tin, unlike most other stuff.

Ill-thought-of protection not only disintegrates in case of a spill, but can cause more damage as well: the frame crash bungs Honda used to sell here in Europe for the CB1300 had a nasty tendency to damage the frame even in case of the classic "slipping foot in parking" scenario.

Finally another thing... if my experience is anything to go buy, if a boxer goes down hard enough to hit the fork bottoms, the ensuing carnage is far beyond what even the best axle sliders can do. :P

Sportsbikes are one thing, beefy tourers quite another.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Something to consider.

I've only just barely set mine to the ground, as I caught it, and am not confident an axle slider would even touch....or help. You can find out for sure with a sheet of plywood, or stiff cardboard, to see the angle and contact points when the bike is on its side. Or, just lay the bike over. :rofl:

Rocker cover protection is maybe money better spent. Ilium folding foot pegs do very well at protecting the covers unless you put the bike way over.

Blind Squirrel
So let's see ... imagine you have a nice $70K BMW 5-series ...

Will you check Amazon or eBay for curb feelers?

"Sliders" are for teenagers with crotch rockets and fit their budgets don't you think?

Cylinder guards or even also bag guards are more like it at this level

Now I understand where the BMW motorcycle rider stereotype reputation comes from...

Archived