IGNORED

Figuring out my financing

Daryl W

Okay, so I was notified that my disability claim is no longer sitting in limbo somewhere, and is now in pre-hearing review. I should be notified in the next month or two when my appeal hearing is, then have the appeal hearing within a couple months after that. So, I'm actually starting to look at how I'm going to buy the new RT, as compared to having decided that the RT is the bike I want.

Looking at options and have a couple questions:

1. BMW stock windshield vs. BMW Comfort Windshield vs. aftermarket windshield

2. BMW basic top case vs. BMW fully-loaded top case vs. aftermarket top case vs. waterproof seat bag

Which is best option for windshield and storage, and why? I will be doing a lot of long distance solo touring, with a few weekends of two up rides (daughter and niece both like to ride, but can't be gone from work for long). I'm 6'3" 200 lbs, so I'll be taking the brunt of any wind when two up. I plan to camp most of the time, so space for tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag is necessary.

Thanks in advance,

Daryl

Windshield comfort is so variable from person to person,you really should try the stock shield first,then look at other options if stock does not work.

If you are camping and two up,then better to have a larger top case,look at the bigger BMW case vs the larger Givi Maxima cases or similar.

Benefit of factory cases is the are keyed the same,so no extras needed and they are rolled into your financing,plus you can likely negotiate a discount on accessories(the case,etc)when you buy the bike.

JR356

I liked the stock windshield but found to be a little flimsy. I went with a CeeBailey. I always had them on my previous rides and really like them.

As far I as storage a never really liked top boxes but I do have an aftermarket one. Givi to be precise. I have a smaller one a 33 liter one. I also have a MotoFizz bag that I got from Aerostich which I use frequently when traveling. I like the bag because, when solo, it rides on the passenger seat.

I find with the bag and the panniers I have more than enough storage for a week of travel. Even if I use the smaller hard topbox

Daryl

JR offers good advice. I'm on my 6th RT. After you get yours, put some miles on it AND put some hours in the saddle. Don't jump to make changes until you have determined what needs to be changed to suit you. Stuff like, needs a better seat, needs lowered foot pegs, needs better wind protection, needs rounder wheels... You get the picture. Some find the bike as delivered to be pretty darn good. Don't rush to change it and then get a lot of other riders input (opinions) on what works and helps.

On the topic of top box, I put the big one on that can fit the BMW aux brake light. Had a GT totaled in a rear ender so lots of brake lights help my paranoia.

2014 RT

JR, I got my RT in September with the stock screen, I am waiting for the comfort screen to be delivered. I found at 6'6" I get a lot of wind buffeting around my helmet! Will let you know the difference once I've had chance to get some miles in.

Actually you want to reply to Daryl W,the original poster.

He is 3 in shorter than you,may have a different torso length,may wear a different helmet,etc.

There are so many variables to consider besides the windscreen alone.

JR356

Addressing the top case - it depends on what you want to spend! Personally, I like the new fully loaded 49 l top case better than the old one, BUT it is a lot more expensive! The main reason that I wanted the new loaded top case is to have the extra brake light up high, but I also find that the new one is better looking and is more streamlined in profile. Here's a couple of pictures showing the old style top case on my '07 and the new one on my '15:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachments/rt-series/65089d1410011713-still-out-look-04.jpg

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachments/rt-series/67890d1414172812-welcome-show-your-scoots-dsc_1620.jpg

One problem with the new top case is that it only comes in silver. Yours looks good painted to match :thumbsup: The added brake light is an expensive option that you can add yourself. Do a search here to see how I added one and others also. I like the new top case because it locks with the central locking system. It is an expensive option, but we all have our preferences. :wave:

One problem with the new top case is that it only comes in silver. Yours looks good painted to match :thumbsup: The added brake light is an expensive option that you can add yourself. Do a search here to see how I added one and others also. I like the new top case because it locks with the central locking system. It is an expensive option, but we all have our preferences. :wave:

Actually, both old and new top case only comes in silver! I think you can order the new one to match your bike for the K16s, but not the RT. Yeah, as I said, the new one is a lot more expensive than the old style, and I had read the threads about add-on brake light, both in this forum as well as others. I was able to get my top case at a fairly heavy discount, and that helps some, but it still end up to be substantially more expensive. This just happen to be my preference, as you said!

Archived