IGNORED

JVB Gets a 2015 R1200GSw!

Jim VonBaden

Jim VonBaden

Picked it up today! 130 miles, not much, all under 35°. Great ride with my friend! I actually rode on the back of his bike to pick up mine. That was interesting.

A few photos to commemorate the day!

Pickup3.jpg

Pickup5.jpg

Now ready to disassemble tomorrow!

BrandNew3.jpg

BrandNew1.jpg

Got lots of goodies for it!

Continued...

Jim VonBaden

My first impressions, after only 130 miles. First a few photos:

First, it never got above 35°, and yet the heated grips were far too hot after 15 minutes. I was wearing Gerbings heated gear, but we all know that does not cover the palms.

The grips, as on the older R1200 series, were too small, and made my hands hurt. I have Grip Puppies for them. This worked on my old bike.

The seat is good for 2 hours, but I can see that I will need breaks, or a new seat, for longer trips.

The suspension is amazing. No clunking, even though the shock moves easily in the mount. My 28" inseam give be the balls of my feet down on the ground with 1 helmet.

Handling is smooth a precise, no surprises.

Power is fine, though I did keep my hand out of the throttle. Speaking of throttle, it is touchy, even in rain mode. I found myself accidentally revving the engine a bit unexpectedly.

Wind management is the best I have ever experienced. Even in freezing temps my helmet was in smooth air, and it was quiet. I actually needed to crack open my windscreen a bit to keep it from fogging.

No issues with the instruments or GPS. They work fine. I paid no attention to the speedo since it was on the GPS and easy to reed. The RPM indicator had the tip of the 6 blocked, but that is no big deal. I know 6 comes between 5 and 7!

So far, with very limited miles, it appears to be a great bike! Time will tell!

continued...

Jim VonBaden

Then, a few days later...:

The SW Moto fat foot from the 2013 actually does fit the 2015, despite them saying it wont.

GSAccessories148.jpg

Changed the stock pegs for a set from a 2011 Adventure that was given to me. Took a bit of grinding, but they work great!

GSAccessories123.jpg

GSAccessories138.jpg

GSAccessories145.jpg

GSAccessories142.jpg

Added the MachineArtMoto Valve Cover Guards:

GSAccessories113.jpg

GSAccessories111.jpg

GSAccessories110.jpg

GSAccessories19.jpg

Added a BMW GS Tank Bag, but cut the straps and made it a floater with a Tank Kit:

GSAccessories137.jpg

GSAccessories126.jpg

Added Jesse Luggage and an Emgo Top Case:

GSAccessories154.jpg

GSAccessories14.jpg

Didn't have time to wire up the Kristas, but will do that this weekend.

then...

Jim VonBaden

and...:

Got it finished.

Here it is:

Grip Puppies

Jesse Luggage, repainted black

Emgo Top Case

Skene P3 Lights

Krista lights on a BMW Mount

BMW Headlight protector

Heat Troller for my Gerbings

Maier Mud Guard

Fenda Extenda

PDM60 electronic fusebox

Day286.jpg

Day329.jpg

Day333.jpg

Day343.jpg

Day351.jpg

Day367.jpg

Day43.jpg

Day46.jpg

Day425.jpg

Day429.jpg

Day432.jpg

Day433.jpg

Day436.jpg

Day440.jpg

Day442.jpg

Jim VonBaden

more...

Hint, the LED parking lights do not work in a Wethead. Further, when trying to remove the LED parking lamp, it will inevitably fall into the headlight necessitating the removal of the headlight to get it out. Plus, you can't remove the headlight without removing the new light bar you just installed! :baldy

The little bastard!

20141229_160821.jpg

All apart, and a pain to reinstall once the heavy lights are on the bar!

IMG_8098.jpg

In other news, I installed the Kildala license plate fender extender. Great place to put my sticker, and a nice modified license plate frame.

IMG_8101.jpg

IMG_8109.jpg

Lastly, I modded an inspection plate for my VA inspection stickers that we must use. I think it looks good, and is better than stickers on the fork tube.

Day436.jpg

IMG_8102.jpg

IMG_8106.jpg

Jim VonBaden

also...:

Added a tool box to my Jesse rack:

20141230_175347.jpg

20141230_175352.jpg

20141230_175400.jpg

20141230_175411.jpg

20141230_175422.jpg

20141230_175435.jpg

20141230_175443.jpg

20141230_175453.jpg

20141230_175905.jpg

I had to adapt it as it was designed for the GSAw rack. The fit allows the clearance needed for the Jesses to mount. I need to take it back off and paint the hardware, but it works great! Now I can carry basic tools, tire kit and compressor with no panniers.

Yeah, like my Jesses, used but in great shape.0

Minor stuff.

I didn't like the SWMotech foot having a silver top, so I painted it:

IMG_8180.jpg

IMG_8185.jpg

There was a question about my top case and how it fit, so I thought I would show the fitment, and that a modular helmet fits:

IMG_8168.jpg

IMG_8169.jpg

IMG_8171.jpg

IMG_8172.jpg

IMG_8173.jpg

IMG_8174.jpg

Similar question on my tank bag. It is a BMW Wethead GS tank bag. I used an adapter to make it fit without straps.

IMG_8142.jpg

IMG_8163.jpg

IMG_8164.jpg

Lastly, another question on the tool box. It is made for a GSAw, so I adapted it to the Jesse luggage rack. It has more than enough, more than the GSAw, clearance.

IMG_8193.jpg

Jim :Cool:

Nice job Jim. I ordered your maintenance video just shortly after I received my 2013 but have yet to put it to use (dealer has done the one service and recalls).

I have to start planning for the extra lights front & rear so that I can get those done in March or so when the garage warms up above freezing! I like the PDM unit and Skene P3's but haven't decided on the driving lights yet. I would prefer a low/high output setup.

I'm curious why you went with the BMW light bar (given the other choices)?

Mike Cassidy

Jim VonBaden
Nice job Jim. I ordered your maintenance video just shortly after I received my 2013 but have yet to put it to use (dealer has done the one service and recalls).

I have to start planning for the extra lights front & rear so that I can get those done in March or so when the garage warms up above freezing! I like the PDM unit and Skene P3's but haven't decided on the driving lights yet. I would prefer a low/high output setup.

I'm curious why you went with the BMW light bar (given the other choices)?

Mike Cassidy

Hi Mike,

I used the BMW light bar because I do not want to have crash bars, and all the other Wethead GS light bar set-ups I have seen we clunky and expensive. The BMW bar is nicely integrated and was only $90 complete with hardware. It looks good and is solid.

Let me know if you have any questions on the GS or accessories!

Jim VonBaden

Just for you, in my 17° degree unheated garage, I put them on!

Stock mounts:

BarRiser1.jpg

BarRiser2.jpg

Put towels down to prevent damage to the bodywork.

BarRiser3.jpg

Took off the stock caps and put the bars on the tank. Used the stock bolts to attach the riser bodies:

BarRiser5.jpg

The stock caps could be used if you wished, for a more stock appearance.

BarRiser8.jpg

BarRiser9.jpg

New cap installed. I like it:

BarRiser11.jpg

The brake line was a little too tight, so I moved it outside the fork tube. I had to cut the zip tie and move the line off to the side to keep from stressing the brake line.

BarRiser12.jpg

BarRiser15.jpg

Installed it looks pretty good, and seems to move the bars where I want them. I won't know for sure until I get a chance to ride it, but feels good sitting on it.

BarRiser18.jpg

BarRiser20.jpg

BarRiser21.jpg

Just touches the bag on each side, but does not really restrict movement:

BarRiser22.jpg

BarRiser23.jpg

Done:

BarRiser24.jpg

For now...

Jim VonBaden
time to put some miles on it. looks great.

Soon as the ice is clear and my cold dies!

I have almost 500. Not bad since I was traveling, then it snowed and all the farklizing.

Jim - Nice setup - thanks for sharing with such great photos! :thumbsup:

Thanks Bob! Looking forward to many many miles.

I added this to record a few:

Misc18.jpg

Misc15.jpg

Misc14.jpg

Misc1.jpg

Problem is, the idea of protecting it behind the screen is a bad one. Too much reflection off the protector.

I am going to add some film protector to the headlight, and run without the screen when using the camera. Use the screen the rest of the time.

Some cool new stuff. Going to be available in the near future!

CenterstandPlate5.jpg

CenterstandPlate2.jpg

CenterstandPlate1.jpg

SidestandSwitchCover1.jpg

Also did my 600 mile service today.

600MileService4.jpg

600MileService5.jpg

600MileService7.jpg

600MileService12.jpg

Here is a not so short video of my test ride to work and back. Feel free to skip through it if you know DC.

Giving me flashbacks from over 20 years ago. Used to make the commute from near Landmark to the Navy Yard Annex every day. Left in '95 and never regretted it.

Congrats on the new scoot Jim.

Here is a not so short video of my test ride to work and back. Feel free to skip through it if you know DC.

Giving me flashbacks from over 20 years ago. Used to make the commute from near Landmark to the Navy Yard Annex every day. Left in '95 and never regretted it.

Congrats on the new scoot Jim.

Thanks!

I'm not really fond of the commute, but I like my job and I like the area other than traffic!

• 1 month later...
Jim VonBaden

Just a few updates.

I never posted where the PDM60 went. Here it is:

20150313_170639.jpg

20150313_170633.jpg

Also, some dirtbag knocked over my bike at just over 600 miles:

Damage14.jpg

Damage11.jpg

Damage10.jpg

Damage9.jpg

Damage6.jpg

Damage3.jpg

Damage1.jpg

Fortunately I replaced the grip guard and the wind diverter for $60. The rest I am leaving.

At least the head guard worked well!

Lastly, I Plastidipped the clear instrument guard.

20150308_162308.jpg

20150308_162258.jpg

20150308_162227.jpg

No more reflection from the factory headlight protector.

D@mn! That's a heart-breaker. :( Sorry to see the pain, Jim.

Looks even worse than when the idiot knocked over my K16 in the office garage -- at least there were people present to ensure she didn't get away with it.

I'm starting to think we need a bubble-wrap cover for parking!

Me, I'd have to have every single damaged part replaced before I could begin to heal. ;):grin:

Pat

+1 for sure! Heck I would have been ordering new parts the same day!

Jim VonBaden
Are you re-thinking crash bars now?

I assume a new horn eventually.

Not at all. If I have crash bars they would now be damaged, maybe worse.

It was hit while parked and I wasn't there. Fortunately someone picked it up.

Jim VonBaden

Thanks guys. I will eventually replace the blade and emblem, but the very minor scratches on the windscreen, mirror and intake cover, will remain. They are barely noticeable. I repainted the pannier, so all is good.

• 1 month later...
Jim VonBaden

Wanting just a bit more distance comfort on the new GSw I decided to try out the Seat Concepts Low Seat. The stock seat was not particularly tall, but SC tends to make them higher, so I went with the low seat. $169 is not a bad price, and if it doesn't work, I am confident I could trade it for a stocker and most of my cash.

So, here is the original seat:

SC%20Seat%201.jpg

SC%20Seat%203.jpg

SC%20Seat%204.jpg

Remove all the staples and the cover and foam. They are not glued on.

SC%20Seat%206.jpg

SC%20Seat%205.jpg

SC%20Seat%208.jpg

SC%20Seat%209.jpg

The corners on front had removable plastic parts, I assume to keep the edges from being too sharp.

SC%20Seat%2011.jpg

SC%20Seat%2013.jpg

SC%20Seat%2014.jpg

SC%20Seat%2015.jpg

Here you see the stock and SC foam differences.

SC%20Seat%2016.jpg

SC%20Seat%2017.jpg

SC%20Seat%2018.jpg

Installed with lots of 3/8" staples and a manual gun, and it looks pretty good, almost stock. The gap is the same as before.

I sat on it and it feels OK, not really much shorter, and maybe a slight forward tilt compared to the very good stock seat!

Tomorrow will tell.

Archived