IGNORED

Michelin PR4 GT - on rear.....and front??

paRTy

I'm getting ready to order PR4's for my 14'RT. Any advice if this bike needs the GT's on rear, and front too - or regular PR4 on front (non GT)?

Also, any opinions from those that have had the PR4's now for a while. Yes, like them, get them - no? Any other tires recommended?

My bike came with Conti's delivered.

I know....tire threads.

Thx for your help.

I'm getting ready to order PR4's for my 14'RT. Any advice if this bike needs the GT's on rear, and front too - or regular PR4 on front (non GT)?

Also, any opinions from those that have had the PR4's now for a while. Yes, like them, get them - no? Any other tires recommended?

I know....tire threads.

Thx for your help.

BMW recommendations the GT. I have a GT rear, a Z8 front which came with the bike is still ok. I like the tire, have about 1,500 sMiles on it. Been to the Ozarks with it :grin: I've been a fan of the Pilots since the first ones. Pilot Roads, 2, 3 and now the 4's. I think it's the best tire for an RT, any year.

Jay

Freedom Outlaw

BMW recommendations the GT. I have a GT rear, a Z8 front which came with the bike is still ok. I like the tire, have about 1,500 sMiles on it. Been to the Ozarks with it :grin: I've been a fan of the Pilots since the first ones. Pilot Roads, 2, 3 and now the 4's. I think it's the best tire for an RT, any year.

Jay

I agree on the PR's. I've run them on three RT's. I see you are from Texas. Do you ride the Hill Country often/ever?

Best,

I agree on the PR's. I've run them on three RT's. I see you are from Texas. Do you ride the Hill Country often/ever?

Best,

The Texas Hill Country has some great roads, I don't get to ride them as much as I'd like but that's riding... I live east of Dallas about 50+ miles so it's just a little farther to the Ozark's. I normally have a January ride Hill Country run but that doesn't look like it's going to happen this year, sad. It has been cold and wet.

Jay

thanks for the replies.

Guess I'm still wondering - -those that had PR4's delivered on their bike, was the front tire a GT also, like the rear, or just the regular PR4?

I know....tire threads.

Thx for your help.

Jay

How did you like the Z8, long term? I like the PRs a lot, but my '15 RT came with the Z8s. So far, I have no complaints. The tires handle the curves well, but perhaps not as precised as the PR4GT that I had on the '14 RT, nor the PR3s on my previous '07 RT.

thanks for the replies.

Guess I'm still wondering - -those that had PR4's delivered on their bike, was the front tire a GT also, like the rear, or just the regular PR4?

Had them on my '14 RT. They were equipped with GTs both front and rear.

Thanks Pad....was wondering about that (front&Rear).

Was also thinking of the Parelli Angel GT's. These get high marks also - comparable to PR4GT's.

Anyone try these on an RT?

thanks for the replies.

My 2014 RT had PR4 GT on both front and rear when new.

Was also thinking of the Parelli Angel GT's. These get high marks also - comparable to PR4GT's.

I've been using the Pirellis on my '99 RT, and like them very much.

I've been using the Pirellis on my '99 RT, and like them very much.

Have you used any of the PRs as well? I wonder how they compared with respect to performance and life?

My new RT unfortunately came equipped with the Contis. Front tire at 4000 miles already has weird wear pattern that makes me wonder if it will last as long as the rear tire. Which is wearing better than I thought it might.

I have been running Michelin PR3's/4's on my V Strom. Front PR3 has well over 10k and looks great. I wore out the rear 3 at 8500 miles. The new PR4 is supposed to get better mileage, but it doesn't look like it will outwear the PR3 at this point. I like the tires, they are confidence inspiring in the rain and hold plenty good in the dry. But. They cost a lot.

I would like to try the new Pirelli Angels. Reviews of them don't seem to show they are wearing all that well. It think the front tire tread pattern might work very well with the RT's wear pattern on the left side of front tires. Cost isn't much less than the Michelins right now, so I don't know if I will go that route.

The new Bridgestone replacement for the BT-023 is the T30. I get about 7500 miles out of the 023 on the old RT rear, fronts about 10k. I imagine the new T30 is at least as good. I also like the steering feel and straight line feel ( something the RT seems a bit fidgety about ) of them. They have front and rear "GT" spec in the right size. About $225 shipped. That is hard to pass up when, in my opinion, the Michelin is not all that much better in any category.

I've not used the PR's. I wanted to buy them, but at the time I needed tires, I couldn't find anyone w/my rear rim size in stock. The bike had some really old Bridgestones on it when I bought it, and they were bad, but it could have just been their age and wear. The Angels ride quite nice.

I have the PR4s (GT front + rear) on my '13 RT because I paid extra to have the Bridgestones removed and replaced with a new set of PR4s prior to taking delivery -- the tires (which I'd previously run on an '11 Multistrada S Touring) are just that good. I've subsequently replaced them with a second set, after about 10K of wear -- not bad, given how I ride. I will say that they are very pressure-sensitive, and will yield very different results with just a few psi (+ or -) from what you will determine (through trial and error) to be the ideal configuration for your weight & riding style. As I clock in at around 225#, I've found that solo riding with light luggage seems to favor 37 or 38 psi front and about 40 or 41 psi rear. I add about 2 psi F+R if riding with a pillion or fully loaded. I believe they're worth the little bit of extra effort (and investment in an accurate tire gauge), as they're predictable, comfortable, stable as all get out in every riding condition I've encountered (including retaining decent grip in the wet and even when it's damn cold out), and constitute an ideal match for this bike. Of course, YMMV...

Archived