IGNORED

Post Storage Pre-Ride Check / Checkup

Blake

I have a '96 R1100RT that I bought back in May that has been on the center stand for the better part of <sigh bncry.gif> 3 months now. I have a BMW battery charger to "charge" the 2 year old gel cell that gets plugged in every two or three weeks, usually only for an overnight stint. Short of that, I haven't done any other maintenance to it, including not starting it up and letting it run for a while. I read that you shouldn't do that unless you're going for a ride that's 20 minutes or longer. Thoughts? confused.gif

Anyway, what I'm really wondering is: A) was this storage method a mistake? If so, what should I do / have done different; B) what do I / should I do to get it ready when it's time to bring it out (aside from the obvious tire pressure check, oil level check, etc.); and / or C) should I just bring it to the dealer and have them check it out for me? frown.gif

As usual, TIA!! smile.gif

I ride a 2002RT and a 1991 FXSTC and live in NE Oregon where winters get rather severe at times. We may go weeks and even months on end where due to snow and ice, you would have to be nuts to take the bike out. Other than using the battery tender for a few hours every week or so, I don't worry about the bikes. On those rare ocassions when I get a snow free period, I try to do the 20 minute warm-up ride, but that is not always possible. When spring finally does arrive, I usually do an oil change before any serious riding. But other than that, I just keep them in the garage and admire them from time to time. I recently had the HD in the shop for some new Keith Black Pistons, an Edelbrock Cam and some other stuff. Since, like yourself, I was concerned about the effects of the bike sitting for prolonged periods, I asked the mechanic if he noticed any evidence of corrosion, pitting or rust that might be associated with down time. Other than normal wear, the upper-end innards looked fine. I would just charge the battery, do an oil change when convenient and go for a ride. <<<<Softtail>>>> thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Ditto, Softail's post.

A couple of months is no big deal. The one thing might be some condensation buildup in the tank but a pint of rubbing alcohol from your local drug store will take care of that. Pour it in and then go for a nice long ride, empty the tank if you can. Fill up with fresh gas and Bob's your uncle.

Thx guys! I appreciate the guidance and support. clap.gif Although, I must admit, I was rather surprised that no one responded within the first couple of hours - seems unusual for this board. confused.gif Anyway, thx again!! thumbsup.gif

Archived