IGNORED

Coolant leak

breezeair

I have a 2014 R1200RT. At about 5500miles I noticed coolant weeping from a weep hole in front of the left cylinder. Not much, just enough to wet the side of the engine. None puddling on the ground. I wiped it clean and after 700 more miles it came back. The dealer says that BMW says this is not a problem. Weeping is normal. Anyone else having this problem? Im struggling to wrap my head around this.

Evening breezeair

It might be normal but it sure isn't right.

Seems simple enough, if BMW dealer says it's normal then there must be some type of service bulletin from BMW to the dealer stating it is normal. So just ask to see the bulletin or advisory.

If the dealer says no bulletin & that it was verbal THEN ask who was the BMW rep that said it was normal & ask to speak to that person yourself.

Or maybe try calling a different dealer to see if you get the same run-around.

It's not normal

The Wethead has got an overflow tank, so no coolant should be lost.

There have been a few reports that leaks appeared but then healed themselves and were good after that.

But if the leak has re-appeared, then you have an issue.

As DR said. Get them to show you the service bulletin that states, this is ok.

There may actually be an advisory on this. Sorry, can't remember where I saw it, but the Mothership's explanation was that is the drain for any leakage past the water pump seal, and that it is "normal" for an "occasional" bit of weepage to appear.

Based on my experience with K16's and their leaking coolant pumps, I'm not surprised by their position -- they replaced a lot of water pumps on K16s and went through at least one (two?) versions before starting to push back if only a bit of webpage is present. My current K16 has 16K miles, and every now and then will have a bit of dried coolant near the weep hole. I just wipe it off. Coolant level is unchanged, so the weepage isn't significant.

I am *NOT* saying coolant leakage is acceptable -- there are millions of non-leaking coolant pumps in this world. Looks like BMW Motorrad is still struggling to figure out how to get this right.

If/when my K16's coolant pump gets to be like the early K16's (which would pass enough coolant to put coolant on the right exhaust heat shield and points aft), I'll take it in for replacement. Otherwise I just ride it.

I will note a big difference between the K16 and the R12LC: The K16 coolant pump weep hole is basically out of sight, low on the right side of the bike, not up on the front side of the block like the boxer. If I had a LC and a constantly-present cosmetic flaw (visible coolant trail), I'd be talking with my dealer -- but not because it is a huge technical problem.

SAAB93driver

I'm not against watercooling on the Boxer. But leaking coolant normal?? Really? TADT explanation? :-/ . Still for some reason this all reminds me of an old VW commercial about radiators.

mountainmann

My 2014 WC GS (same engine as the RT) started leaking out the weep hole at 600 miles. The dealer just automatically replaced the water pump. At 10,000 miles it has not leaked again. Some dealers are more resistant to doing repairs than others. It also depends on how much coolant was lost. My left engine side has a lot of coolant on it.

So didn't

My 1981 Z1300/6 Kawa has never had a coolant leak :rofl:

So didn't my BMW 1984 K100RS.

My 2014 R1200RT-LC hasn't got a cooling leak either. (At least not at this stage)

Guest Kakugo

Coolant leaks are always a problem, your dealer just doesn't want to carry out a time consuming and probably badly paid warranty job, that is all. Sadly to get out of this they will invent all sorts of crazy explanations, like that is "normal" for a bike built in 2014 to leak coolant.

It reminds me of the bad wheel bearings in my Kawasaki or the stuck thermostat on the VFR. Both happened under warranty and was offered fantastic explanations in both cases by official dealers (in the Kawasaki's case more than one) not too keen on warranty jobs.

I was offered the delightful explanation the VFR's cooling system was "too efficient" and hence seeing the bike running at no more than 60°C in Winter was "normal". If I wanted to see more reasonable temperatures, I was supposed to tape one of the radiators. You cannot make this stuff up.

I went to an authorized Honda independent and he immediately opened a warranty procedure. No questions asked.

Your cure? Find another dealer.

mountainmann
Coolant leaks are always a problem, your dealer just doesn't want to carry out a time consuming and probably badly paid warranty job, that is all. Sadly to get out of this they will invent all sorts of crazy explanations, like that is "normal" for a bike built in 2014 to leak coolant.

It reminds me of the bad wheel bearings in my Kawasaki or the stuck thermostat on the VFR. Both happened under warranty and was offered fantastic explanations in both cases by official dealers (in the Kawasaki's case more than one) not too keen on warranty jobs.

I was offered the delightful explanation the VFR's cooling system was "too efficient" and hence seeing the bike running at no more than 60°C in Winter was "normal". If I wanted to see more reasonable temperatures, I was supposed to tape one of the radiators. You cannot make this stuff up.

I went to an authorized Honda independent and he immediately opened a warranty procedure. No questions asked.

Your cure? Find another dealer.

Well said. I hope the original poster has other dealer options withing a reasonable distance.

• 5 weeks later...

Happened twice to me.

* once between 600 - 1000 miles. Wiped it clean

* second time between 2200 - 3100 miles

I'm thinking of bringing it in for a water pump replacement and associated free oil change.

Thoughts?

My RT LC and the loan GS I had during the suspension saga both leak coolant at the weep hole. Not a lot but it makes a mess and it means I carry spare coolant when away from home. I was tempted to get the dealer to change the pump but what's the point if BMW don't have a fix - another pump, another leak. Has anyone heard of a fix yet ?

On my K 1600 I am on my fourth water pump. The fourth water pump that was installed on the warranty did not look like the other three it was a total different design I believe. Get a new one, you can never tell BMW may get it right. Gt

On my K 1600 I am on my fourth water pump. The fourth water pump that was installed on the warranty did not look like the other three it was a total different design I believe. Get a new one, you can never tell BMW may get it right. Gt

So is Papa Chuy AKA BeemerDon. I think he carries a spare water pump on trips now.

My dealer had a new bike launch open day last week and I chatted to the head workshop guy. Never had to change a water pump on an RT he said. Last summer when I first had a leak and was about to set off on a trip on a loan GS I asked for advice. He rang BMW head office and they said it will be OK as some leakage is normal !

I will see how it goes in the Spring. Its in for service in April so I can raise the issue of the 'different' K1600 pump and see if they have a fix for the RT. New model bikes eh !

So is Papa Chuy AKA BeemerDon. I think he carries a spare water pump on trips now.

I should add that the current water pump has 31,000 miles on it without any issues. Gt

I am saying this out of interest (I will start looking for a Wethead in the future, when I feel the bike is mature): please do not content yourself with "A little leak is normal". This is 2015: it isn't "normal" to have a liquid cooled engine leak even the most minute amount of coolant. I have never seen a healthy engine leaking coolant.

Have your dealer file a report with BMW so they'll be forced to act and I can buy this damn bike! :rofl:

I wonder when the part was revised. As I'm sitting in a modern office with no real wood to knock on I'm reluctant to say no leakage issue for me as of 10k miles. No worries here.

One of the members of our local MOA club had a revised put in. He said it was a different color too. No problems with the revised part for him too. The other chap, Papa Chuy, he's on #4. I bet he got a revised part last time, which was last summer. Still, it's a PIA.

I have just written to BMW UK asking about the water pump issues and possible re designs. I have explained that I will only go for a pump exchange if they have resolved the leak problem. Hope I get a decent reply, my dealer has no knowledge of water pump re design and says he has never had to change a pump.

Archived