IGNORED

Am I Smokin??

bmweerman

Hey everybody...

Recently I posted a video of my rear brake calipers and asking advice on how to fix the "roller coaster" action.

After taking everything apart and examining it, turns out the plate that holds the rotor and abs ring is bent. OK Fine. Here's the rub...I cannot find that piece on any technical diagram and have driven the parts guys at Bobs BMW and AS cycles crazy trying to help me.

Does anybody know what that piece is actually called or know the part #?

It's a 99 R1100RT ABS

As always TIA

Cameron

Cameron,

Is the plate you're looking for the "Sensor Ring", pt # 09 34512314169 or is that the abs ring which you don't need to replace ?

Wooster

Cameron,

Is the plate you're looking for the "Sensor Ring", pt # 09 34512314169 or is that the abs ring which you don't need to replace ?

Wooster

I don't need to replace the ABS ring or the rotor (have 2 of those) just the plate they bolt to. Which, according to everything I've been able to find out so far, doesn't exist. eek.gif

Except... there is one on my bike.... do te do do do te do do (to the tune of Twighlight Zone)

I'll bet that the disk, the ABS ring and the "plate" come together as one part.

Bob.

That may very well be true...although the DO come apart.

If true though...I still can't find THAT part anywhere

Any suggestions?

Say Cameron,

Looking at MAX's parts page, it seems that the rear disc for alloy wheels (not spoked) comes with the disc carrier. I'm thinking it's the disc carrier you need yet the Max image shows rear rotor/disc and carrier as one piece.

BTW, this same set of images describes front and rear alloy (three spoke) wheels as "cast iron" (!)

Best wishes for getting this all sorted out.

Wooster

Oh yah, hear about the two antenna, met on roof top, fell in love and married ? The ceremony wasn't much, but reception was great !

You're looking for the spoked looking piece in this diagram right?

56442745-M.jpg

I can't find a seperate part number for it either, but it looks like it comes with the rear brake disk as an ass'y. Part # 34212331279

Did you buy your new rotor aftermarket? BMW usually supplies the carrier with the new rotor. Aftermarkets usually do not and you have to bolt their rotor to the carrier. So if you bought an aftermarket, then you need to talk someone into mailing you their old rear brake rotor so you can bolt your rotor onto their carrier. Otherwise, try beemerboneyard or cycles recycled.

One more thing--you need to figure out how you bent this. You mentioned doing a bunch of work on your bike so it was probably bent during disassembly/reassembly. You don't want to bend another one. I sometimes break things doing my own wrenching--part of the deal--but you never want to break two of them.

Finally, are you absolutely sure this is te part that is broke? I don't know what this bolts to (I don't have an RT and the RS rear brake is different but if that plate isn't flat, you would get this wobble. If you have a dial indicator take wheel and rear brake off and put the indicator of the flat surface that the rotor bolts to and spin it again. If it doesn't move more than a few thousandths than it's fine.

--Jerry

You're looking for the spoked looking piece in this diagram right?

56442745-M.jpg

I can't find a seperate part number for it either, but it looks like it comes with the rear brake disk as an ass'y. Part # 34212331279

Ken...

I've looked at that image and it seems right but where does the ABS ring go?...on the side not shown? Seems like that would be indicated...do you know if that's true or not?

Thanks!

Did you buy your new rotor aftermarket? BMW usually supplies the carrier with the new rotor. Aftermarkets usually do not and you have to bolt their rotor to the carrier

Ahhhh...that I did not know....and yes it was aftermarket sooo....probably will have to do as you say!

TY Very Much thumbsup.gif

Makes sense now!!!

I am a master of the aftermarket parts scheme. On the front RS rotor, the carrier holds the ABS ring. Sounds like it is that way on the back of the RT also. Some carriers may not be drilled for the abs ring. The best soln would be to get one with the ABS ring alredy mounted. If not, make sure you get one that is drilled. Next, BMW uses loctite to on the ring mounting bolts. Don't even try to take them out w/o heating I stripped one and one galled about half way out. I had to drill them out. Loctite supposedly goes away about 350 deg F. I would use a torch or put the whole thing in the oven at 400F for about an hour. Good luck, Jerry

Thanks for your insight!!!

and....

Next, BMW uses loctite to on the ring mounting bolts. Don't even try to take them out w/o heating I stripped one and one galled about half way out. I had to drill them out. Loctite supposedly goes away about 350 deg F. I would use a torch or put the whole thing in the oven at 400F for about an hour. Good luck, Jerry

I may not be the master but I can melt locktite with a torch like nobodys business! grin.gifeek.gifgrin.gifeek.gif

Take Care

Cameron

on the side not shown?
Yes. The above diagram is as viewed from the wheel side, from the left side of the bike. The ABS sensor ring is shown elsewhere in a section for the ABS option. (Optional on some models.)

Archived