IGNORED

Hot Weather and R1200RT

acasa520

I'm considering making a switch from a K1300S to the wethead R1200RT. I've test ridden the RT, but the weather was mild at the time. One concern I have with the RT is that the wind protection is thorough enough that on a hot day there will not be much airflow to keep cool. Can any current RT owners comment on how the bike is during hot weather riding?

Thanks

I ride in the hot humid mid Atlantic states. With the shield all the way down it is tolerable. I do ride with all the gear as well. Hot is hot no matter where you are.

It's hot. Those engineers stayed up late when designing the RT's fairing, that's for sure. Shortly after moving back to FL from Chi-Town, I suited up for a ride. I pull up to a light, and next to me pulls up a young lady in her Z4 flipping her hair, enjoying the day. I'm stuck in my full faced helmet, all ATGATTed up, sweating profusely. She was outside, and I was inside by comparison. Sold the bike within a week.

I got better, and bought another one, but that is beside the point.

It's hot.

With the screen all the way down, you will get upper torso cooling.

But that's it.

But important is that the Wethead will not add any heat towards the driver.

I don't know what your heat over there is like, but here even if you could somehow direct airflow through the fairing to the rest of the lower body, it would be just hot air anyway as the air itself reaches high temperature.

Very different to lets say Europe.

With the screen all the way down, you will get upper torso cooling.

But that's it.

But important is that the Wethead will not add any heat towards the driver.

I don't know what your heat over there is like, but here even if you could somehow direct airflow through the fairing to the rest of the lower body, it would be just hot air anyway as the air itself reaches high temperature.

Very different to lets say Europe.

That's the most important part.

Big problem with most modern faired bikes is the unbelievable heat they convey on the rider one way or the other. BMW seems to have been the first manufacturer to "get" the rider is definitely not part of the cooling system. :rofl:

I say don't worry. At most get an evaporative cooling vest for those really hot days: they are relatively inexpensive and they work as advertised.

There are also cooling skull caps to wear under your helmet but I wouldn't advise buying them: in combination with a cooling vest you'll get cold even in 30+°C weather.

Now I only use the vest when riding and I use the cap while gardening in the Summer.

Alfred hit on the head, the bike doesn't put off heat to the rider. If you are stopped or in very slow moving traffic it's going to be hot just like any bike. At speed not too bad. I had an 02R115RT the protection on it was better so it was hotter I find the 14 to be a better compromise protecting the rider from the environment.

As for Jake, I think he was in a fantasy :grin:

Jay

Do you still live in Michigan?

Home of the 60-70 degree hot summer days?

Just saying...

:lurk:

Was up there in August, brrrr.

Will be hotter here today than it was up there in August.

Seems like you could benefit from the fairing design when it is cool/cold for much of the year.

Otherwise, when it is hot, say, above 90 degrees, if you're movin' you're groovin'.

:wave:

Edited by tallman

Tim, you were Just saying...:lurk: what I was just thinking. smiley-think005.gif .... :grin:

I've been to MI a few times in the summer and don't remember it being oppressively hot. Understand the RT is a traveling machine, I never gave heat a thought on mine.

Pat

Thanks for the feedback. I do still live in Upper Michigan and the wind protection should help extend my riding season a bit for the colder months. If I buy the RT I plan to get back to more long road trips that will take me to warmer climates.

What I'm taking from the comments is that with the engine heat not adding to the equation, it's not worse in the heat than most bikes and at speed it is OK in the heat.

Thanks for the feedback. I do still live in Upper Michigan and the wind protection should help extend my riding season a bit for the colder months. If I buy the RT I plan to get back to more long road trips that will take me to warmer climates.

What I'm taking from the comments is that with the engine heat not adding to the equation, it's not worse in the heat than most bikes and at speed it is OK in the heat.

I live in Texas we have both heat and humidity plus we get some very cold stuff at times. Freezing rain to me is the worst. The RT is good in all of it. I ride the RT year round, I'll admit I ride my Wee Strom more often in the high heat/humidity better summer bike it's not naked but much closer then the RT.

The type of riding you describe the new RT is perfect.

Enjoy the ride

Jay

Trust me, Florida isn't that hot. I found out when I moved to hell. Jeff Dean lives in Tucson and has a wethead. He could probably give a clue as to how it works in extreme heat.

I live in Texas we have both heat and humidity plus we get some very cold stuff at times. Freezing rain to me is the worst. The RT is good in all of it. I ride the RT year round, I'll admit I ride my Wee Strom more often in the high heat/humidity better summer bike it's not naked but much closer then the RT.

The type of riding you describe the new RT is perfect.

Enjoy the ride

Jay

I live in Texas also. When its really hot and you're doing any long distance travel at highway speed, too much airflow is a bad thing as you will dehydrate quickly and massive amounts of hot air on your skin will simply make you hotter. Because of the better weather protection of the RT, I'm able to use my mesh jacket at warmer temperatures than my GS riding counterparts who usually end up wearing non-mesh jackets with a few strategic vents open. If you don't currently own a mesh jacket, you might want to add one to your wardrobe.

Trust me, Florida isn't that hot. I found out when I moved to hell. Jeff Dean lives in Tucson and has a wethead. He could probably give a clue as to how it works in extreme heat.

I suppose he could, but we chased him outta here a long time ago.

Florida is hot, Arizona is hotter still. There's no glossing over that the RT's still pocket of air is something to contend with when the sun is beating down. Still, it would be my preference in Michigan and mostly anywhere else as it is such a great bike. If one can afford two bikes, there are others I would prefer for local rides in August, however.

I suppose he could, but we chased him outta here a long time ago.

Florida is hot, Arizona is hotter still. There's no glossing over that the RT's still pocket of air is something to contend with when the sun is beating down. Still, it would be my preference in Michigan and mostly anywhere else as it is such a great bike. If one can afford two bikes, there are others I would prefer for local rides in August, however.

The best riding out here is now. Come August, it's roasting time. I'd rather ride in Michigan in the summer too. Maine might be nice…

........how the bike is during hot weather riding?

So long as you aren't in stop and go traffic the bike is fine.

The key to most hot weather situations is maintaining access for the Rider to hydration while riding, or else the human will falter badly. BTDT

A water bladder in tank bag, or on the pillion seat, with hose and bit bite at the ready will get you through dry or wet heat. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger :grin:

I've been the gal in the Z4 and the rider on the bike. The Rider has more memories and stories :)

I ride year round in NC. Was in AZ in mid September, 100+, It was hot in slow traffic. Wet my shirt periodicaly. My Klim jacket has a spot for a bladder. Ice and water against your back really helps with the cooling plus hydration. I don't think there is perfect combo for a bike, at least the ones I have owned. The RT is pretty good, not perfect but not a deal breaker.

Coming from a ST1300 the RT is very cool riding in the summer in Texas. On the ST I did not need insulated pants for the winter. Jeans were fine, but on the RT I know have a pair of insulated pants for weather below 40 degrees.

Alan

Heat IS a problem on new RT's, but not heat from the bike itself.

The fairing works so well there isn't any airflow to the rider, which is wonderful when it's cold but prevents air flow to facilitate even minimal evaporative cooling in hot weather. When it's 90~100 degrees I'm hot wearing perforated leathers that freeze me in 85 degrees on one of my naked bikes. What is needed is some way to open vents that direct air blast at the torso.

Aftermarket, are you listening?

And you wouldn't get frozen at 100 degrees. Past a certain temperature hot wind will bake the body, not cool it unless there is an evaporative process at work. If you want to find out how a fairing works, it becomes even more apparent in cold weather. I find my vintage of RT misses with the tops of my thighs. If I am not wearing over pants, the tops of my thighs get very cold. For heat, I find that opening the ends of the sleeves on my leather jacket and letting the wind blow through the jacket this way cools me down so long as I am sweating or have dampened my shirt.

I used a solid textile jacket and the LDComfort sleeves last September riding in Georgia & Alabama (90's and very humid). Wet them down and control airflow with the Velcro on the jacket cuffs. 90 degrees and I had to be careful not to over cool. Used a wet tee shirt (no sleeves) through Death Valley in May (90's and dry), once again, solid jacket and control airflow with the cuffs and I was cold until I reduced the airflow.

Stopped or slow (under about 30) is hot no matter what you do, but as noted at least the RT won't make it worse.

Doing all that for a 1/2 hour ride can be tough to justify but if you're traveling it's a no-brainer.

• 1 year later...
Heat IS a problem on new RT's, but not heat from the bike itself.

The fairing works so well there isn't any airflow to the rider, which is wonderful when it's cold but prevents air flow to facilitate even minimal evaporative cooling in hot weather. When it's 90~100 degrees I'm hot wearing perforated leathers that freeze me in 85 degrees on one of my naked bikes. What is needed is some way to open vents that direct air blast at the torso.

Aftermarket, are you listening?

My thoughts exactly,my old 2002RT is a bit old for the aftermarket parts, but surely the problem still exists...I explain the problem to people as " Imagine putting on your safety gear then driving around in a convertible car, all sun and no wind for cooling" The fact no wind makes it to your hands makes it worse, no wind to blow up the sleeves.

Here in OZ Summer starts next month, and it's already 32 degrees + (90f) and 90% humidity. I'm going to experiment with cutting down a spare screen, and temporarily removing the mirrors to get some flow to the arms and hands. I usually park the RT up for the Summer :(