IGNORED

Accessory socket and BMW charger.... no go....

fourteenfour

so my R9T and my BMW charger do not like each other. If I connect the charger to the bike it merely blinks red. I turn the switch on the light goes solid red. If I then turn the switch off it stays red for about a minute, the green light blinks for a few seconds then goes out and the red light blinks.

Blinking red is for when the battery is not wired correctly. So ideas on what to look for? This accessory plug is a standard feature. I really want avoid taking the tank off to hardwire to the battery but can do it.

Afternoon Chris

Try turning the ign switch on before connecting the charger.

You really should just add a pig tail to the battery & be done with it. In the long run that will make life much easier for you.

Afternoon Chris

You really should just add a pig tail to the battery & be done with it. In the long run that will make life much easier for you.

Yeah I thought of that but the manual is replete with warnings about direct charging while connected to the bike except by accessory plug

Morning Chris

That warning in the manual has been there since the 1200RT has been on the road. There are a great number of us 1200 owners that charge "direct to the battery" without any issues.

That riders manual warning is mainly due to BMW not knowing, or having control over, what battery chargers that owners use. Some battery chargers have a high voltage desulfation cycle that puts out too much voltage for the electronics on the newer BMW bikes.

If your battery charger is OK to use through the new electronic BMW power sockets then it is safe to use direct to the battery.

As far as your present battery charger not working though the power socket, I really don't know. It might be that your older CanBus (era) charger is not compatible with your new bikes electronic sockets (BMW has a new design charger). OR possibly it is that the bike's electronic power socket control thinks the battery is fully charged already so disconnects your battery charger.

Afternoon Chris

Yeah I thought of that but the manual is replete with warnings about direct charging while connected to the bike except by accessory plug

BMW does that to sell you their massively overpriced "CAN-BUS" charger. Nothing better than threatening people with all sorts of potentially catastrophic events to part them from their hard earned cash. ;)

Many, many here (me included) have charged batteries the old fashioned way for years with no ill effects at all.

When I made inquiries at my dealer they told me the warnings "are just there for marketing reasons" and showed me a couple of GS they were charging with gator clamps at the battery terminals.

If you still feel unsure, just wire a fuse into the pig tail, or buy a ready-made pigtail made by Accumate.

When I picked up my 14RT the dealer had installed a direct to battery pigtail. I was glad to see it to save me having to do it. They told me they do it on all new bikes as a courtesy. I've been using it since February with no issues. If I am not riding it, it is plugged in.

I have been using the BMW charger on my '06 RT and now on my '13 RT it works fine.

I turn on the ignition but not start the bike then plug in the connector into the bike socket the plug the charger in to the wall outlet then turn he ignition off.

That's the way the dealer said to do it back in '06 it so far it seems to be working on the '13 RT.

I also remember something about no extension cords.

• 3 weeks later...

I will simply have to wait for good weather and take the bike and charger to my local shop. One of them is a piece of **** and hopefully its the charger.

Tried every stunt possible. It just goes to blinking red after one minute.

1) Start bike, plug in charger, plug charger into wall. Solid Red. Turn bike off, Blinking Green in 15 seconds, to blinking red inside of 60

2) Just turn bike on, plug in charger, plug charger into wall, same as before.

3) With everything plugged in, turn bike on light goes from blinking to red, turn bike off (haven't started - just to the run position) and green light blinks for short time before it goes red blinking.

Archived