IGNORED

Tire repair

AZJerry

This morning I suited up and started pushing the bike out of the garage. It was hard to push. I had a rear tire that was low.

What is the preferred method of repairing the tire?

This morning I suited up and started pushing the bike out of the garage. It was hard to push. I had a rear tire that was low.

What is the preferred method of repairing the tire?

Visually eyeball the tire for obvious nails/screws/etc. Fill it up with air and apply soap water to the valve stem core and valve stem. If you don't find bubbles, apply soap water to the tire and search for bubbles. Fix the leak using tire plug. It's very easy. If your tire has less than 25% of it's lifespan left, I would change it.

Jerry,

You may wish to consider simply replacing the tire....I am one of the (I believe) larger percentage that would rather just replace a tire than repair it.

Peace of mind is priceless ( a tire plus fitting is around $130) plus you won't ever need to second guess yourself... thumbsup.gif

I believe all tire manufacturers will advise you to not repair the tire, but rather to acquire a new one. There are many many pro and con views here as to change out or not. Just remember, that unlike cars, we only have two tires and if one lets down during a high speed curve, or on the freeway etc., it could mean your life. I am somewhat anal about things like that, and I would not want that on my mind with my wife on board. Other folks on this board are adamant about patching on the inside, plugs, tubes, etc., and I am sure we will now hear it all.

Let the fun begin:

I think we have all had the same thing happen to us. I had a brad nail in the rear of a D205 with less than 1,000 mi, too new to throw away. I plugged it with no problems for about 4,000 mi. When the plug started to leak again, I replaced the tire. Depends on your tolerence of risk.

I also had a roofing nail in the center of my new tire. I patched it and rode for 11000 more miles on that tire. The damage was in the center of the tire and a mushroom plug was used for the patch. I think it depends on where the damage is and how extensive.

I've never had a flat (yes, we sweep our road in CA) so I'm not sure what I would do. Depends on where it is. If it is off center, then I would be more likely to repair it. If it is on center, I am reminded of the last two tires I took off. Have you ever inspected your tires AFTER they take them off? I always do. I am amazed how thin the corded section is. When the center runs out of tread it is very, very thin. You have to make your own decision. The risk is probably low but the consequences can be high.--Jerry

Archived