IGNORED

Rear Turn Signals as Running lights

AlanS.

Morning Alan

Not easy to do as anything BUT red rear running lighting is illegal.

You also can't add much load to the tail light circuit as it is computer controlled & computer monitored as well as pulse width modulated for voltage/current.

If you have room in the lens you might be able to drill the housing then install a couple of small red bulbs & sockets, then just power from the rear power socket circuit.

Otherwise there are few (aftermarket) rear lighting options for added rear lighting & that not only gives you additional rear running light lighting but also added rear brake lighting.

I have seen some of the aftermarket ones and they are ok, but I was hoping for a solution to use the stock turn signals as running lights. I am not worried about running the amber running lights as many around here have done it and never been bothered about it. I had a 90 VFR with the amber turn signals that I converter to running lights and it greatly improved the rear visibility of the bike. I do have the Clearwater LED lights and the CAN bus module has an output to drive an aux brake light but Clearwater has not released there light for it yet.

Alan

Afternoon Alan

It's not so much the police to worry about it's losing a property damage or personal injury case in court.

A sharp lawyer will use the fact that the bike, that was hit from behind, was running illegal rear lighting that totally confused the driver that hit the bike.

As far as making your existing turn signals into running lights. Possible but would take some work to do so.

I believe your rear light assembly is sealed with internal LED's. If so then the first thing you would need to do is remove the rear light assembly & see if you can input lower voltage to the T/S LED's & get them to run in a dimmed mode.

If so, then you could maybe use a couple of (resistor clipped) relays to allow the rear power socket circuit to drive the (dimmed) LED's but have the turn signal flash the relay & make/break the side being flashed to full voltage & flash brighter.

The relay's would also need to be resisted to (the low return) on the turn signal input to make the computer think that the OEM turn signal load is still present.

You probably shouldn't drive the T/S LED's directly with tail/brake light power as the tail light circuit is modulated to increase the voltage for brake light apply.

Unless you could find matching male & female rear light plugs & terminals (not easy at all) you would also need to cut the rear lighting wire harness to install your new circuit.

Evening Randy

That won't work on the newer Hexhead, camhead or water cooled.

Your 03 has a separate brake light circuit & tail light circuit as well a stand alone turn signals. It also has a separate stand alone turn signal flasher unit.

The newer 1200RT (can/lin bus era bikes) have computer controlled T/S switching & circuit current monitoring as well as pulse width modulated tail lighting.

"BUT red rear running lighting is illegal.

"

What am I missing?

Tail lights are red, and always on.

:S

I have red rear Run-n-Lites.

Just curious.

Morning Tim

You are missing the rest of the sentence.

The "as anything BUT"

Probably better written as -- any color running light on the rear is illegal EXCEPT red.

Dirtrider,

I did not think about liability issues with the amber light while they are illegal, but that being said wouldn't any addition to the tail lights be an acknowledgement of a lack of visibility and could be used by a good/slimy lawyer in the same situation?

Alan

Afternoon Alan

That would have to be determined during the court proceedings.

But if the jury is looking for a reason to deny liability then illegal rear lighting could sure give them that reason.

Bottom line here is (IF) the rear lighting is non DOT approved it is illegal. (yellow/orange on the rear is not only illegal but non DOT approved)

Same with all the riders that install illegal HID's in a non HID headlight housing. If not DOT approved then they are illegal. If a driver turns in front of the bike & claims that the illegal HID was the reason he/she was temporarily blinded, or dazzled/distracted, or couldn't accurately judge distance or speed then that will have to play out in court.

• 5 weeks later...
I see your point. Maybe the Skene 3Ps would be the best option.

Alan

I think you mean P3 Lights.

These provide much two brighter tail lights than the single stock BMW one, as well as flashing brake lights.

You can read more about these here:

P3Lights.com

You can get LED's that show red through amber turn signal lenses. I have them on my R1150RS. I wired them up as brake lights, however for added attention during braking.

I have these, though the offering are for older bikes I'd imagine if you can make the electric part of it function, low current LED's would be possible.

http://www.run-n-lites.com/prod-LiteBuddys.html

Many years ago I put this list together for IBMWR. It's got to be kind of dated by now but maybe some products in there are still available.

http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/rearlights.html

I ran the SOS priority lights for a long time on my R1100RS and never got pulled over for amber lights at the rear but there's always a first time I guess if you get the wrong cop.

Archived