IGNORED

Removing Mirror Housing

Bald 1

I ride a 2013 R1200RT. I am installing a Wunderlich GPS mount and part of the instructions calls for removing the mirror housing (part of the process in order to get behind the instrument panel). I have been told that in some earlier models, the housing has a quick connect coupling that pops off when smacked smartly on the back corner of the mirror toward the direction of the rear of the bike. Does this work with the 2013 RT?

I ride a 2013 R1200RT. I am installing a Wunderlich GPS mount and part of the instructions calls for removing the mirror housing (part of the process in order to get behind the instrument panel). I have been told that in some earlier models, the housing has a quick connect coupling that pops off when smacked smartly on the back corner of the mirror toward the direction of the rear of the bike. Does this work with the 2013 RT?

I've heard of this (although I thought the technique was to smack it towards the front of the machine) and I'm hoping somebody comes up with a definitive answer. I've also read of safety wires to attach to the mirror pods, which I'm guessing are to prevent the loss of the pod if it pops off unexpectedly ??

No, unless there is a shortcut I don't know about on my 2013, . Locate the access hole beneath the housing. Inside is a 20 or 25 torx set screw that is reached by pushing the top of the mirror inwards. Unscrew a couple turns and you can pop the mirror out. Behind the mirror are two T30 torx screws that hold the black part of the mirror assembly in place. Remove those and you can remove the assembly and get to the lower screws holding the instrument bezel in place. If you need to remove the rest of the mirror assembly, the part with the turn signal, there is one more T30 screw. The assembly will fall off quickly when you remove that last screw, dammit.

The smacking off the mirror was on oilheads. And yes you smack it from the mirror side towards the front of the bike to remove it.

My Hexhead comes off with a steady push of the outside edge to the rear, but I think BMW added a screw during the minor restyling of 2010-2013 models.

This thread might help:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=847111#Post847111

EDIT: Better Yet! Found instructions with pictures: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=738178#Post738178

No, unless there is a shortcut I don't know about on my 2013, . Locate the access hole beneath the housing. Inside is a 20 or 25 torx set screw that is reached by pushing the top of the mirror inwards. Unscrew a couple turns and you can pop the mirror out. Behind the mirror are two T30 torx screws that hold the black part of the mirror assembly in place. Remove those and you can remove the assembly and get to the lower screws holding the instrument bezel in place. If you need to remove the rest of the mirror assembly, the part with the turn signal, there is one more T30 screw. The assembly will fall off quickly when you remove that last screw, dammit.

I'm going to give this a go and, if you're right, you've saved me from wrecking my mirrors ! :clap:

And thanks for the warning about what happens when I remove the last screw !! :grin:

Kent's right about the tool kit but I found that a set of T15,20,25,&30 torx long drivers is way handier in the shop except for those two bolts for the uppers up under the fork.

What a relief!! After much trial and error..I was able to find the exact position to put the T25 in and loosened the set screws. I'm in like Flint!

Archived