IGNORED

CamHead to WetHead?

Firenailer

I've got a tentative deal working for a buyback 14. The Dealer is still trying to get a Title from BMW Corp. to release the bike so I've had 3 weeks to look it over each time I ride up past the Dealership to pick something up or grab a cup of coffee.

My question is even though the new WetHead is technologically Superior, the bodywork and fit and finish just doesn't "feel" as good to me as my Camhead. I have a Comfort Seat on my 12 and the leather seems way nicer as well.

If you've made the jump from Camhead to Wethead tell me what you think of the trade off. Any regrets?

Thanks!

To my knowledge BMW doesn't use leather on the seats.

The seat is firm on the wethead, but is not too bad at all for a stock seat. Especially a BMW seat.

Except for the technical details in the engine... the Camheads are almost identical to the Hexheads.... so that being said My conversion from Hex to Wet has been far more significant that I expected it to be.

In other words, in my opinion, the '14 rides, feels and looks like a different bike than my '05... including the seat. I hated the '05 seat and that was the first thing I "fixed. I thought I was going to have the same issue with the '14 but, for some reason-yet to be nailed down... the seat looks plain but feels good.

Loving it so far....

Made the switch and didn't look back, would do it again in a heart beat.

Having said that, I miss the "glove box" space of my 06 and the low beam bulb on the wet head is harder to change; an HID kit will solve the latter issue.

I went from an Oilhead 02 RT, I miss all of the storage space, glove box under the seat, in the tail... I had the bike since new it fit me like a glove. I don't miss it the Wethead is a great bike!

Jay

Except for the technical details in the engine... the Camheads are almost identical to the Hexheads.... so that being said My conversion from Hex to Wet has been far more significant that I expected it to be.

Actually there is quite a bit of difference in the engine details. This is the first unit construction engine/trans. that BMW has ever built in the boxer configuration. The wet clutch is another departure from the old dry clutch boxer. These are the main reasons that I upgraded. No more clutch spline issues or need to tear the bike in half to replace a clutch. The added power and electronic gizmos are gravy! And I agree, the seat is certainly better than previous stock seats. We'll see if I miss my Russell enough to replace this one when the weather gets warm.

Thanks for the replies guys, all of the reports I've heard and read on the new bike have been very favorable and by all accounts it sounds like a great bike.

Can't figure out why I'm struggling with this decision. probably because I've been really happy with my Camhead and wasn't planning on looking for something new.

Thanks for the replies guys, all of the reports I've heard and read on the new bike have been very favorable and by all accounts it sounds like a great bike.

Can't figure out why I'm struggling with this decision. probably because I've been really happy with my Camhead and wasn't planning on looking for something new.

That will pass once you own one :)

Jay

Ha! Your probably right. They're still trying to get a Title from BMW Corporate so that they can sell it. Right now it looks like it may be closer to January so I've got time to ruminate over this a bit more.

I own a 2004 RT and just rented, for 24 hours, a new 2014 RT. The ten-year itch. Anyway, some observations:

Pro for the 2014: The engine performance and handling is outstanding! Almost hard to believe the acceleration, even two up the bike easily outperforms, in all ways, the '04. I also like the lower seat height (and I'm 6 ft). Another plus is the absence of the expensive to repair ABS brain that is on the '04. Finally, the windscreen does a better job, especially in the full-up position where I don't get pushed forwards as I do on my '04.

Negatives for the 2014: Unlike others in this thread, I hate the seat, finding my '04 seat much more comfortable (wider, softer). Guess my arse has worn into the shape of that seat? Engine noise is greater, especially at idle once hot, and I hate the wet clutch which seems to lead to difficulty in finding N, especially when stopped, and a loud unsettling "clunk" when shifting into 1 from N. Really feels that such a nice piece of engineering should have to result in such clunkiness.

Other observations: I can let go of both hands while riding (not advised, of course) but can not do so with the '04. (Balance shaft related, no doubt.) The electronics are nifty. That said, I'd not want to replace any of the handle bar switch assemblies.I don't like the looks of the bike so much as the '04, and that rear top- box is way overpriced!

I am undecided as to whether I'll go for it or not. I'm going to take a short test ride on the 1600 today.

I'm going to take a short test ride on the 1600 today.

More of the same as the wethead RT -- better all-around performance, engine to die for, lots of engine noise, outrageous trunk price. My '04 RT has more "character" than my K16. Both have their plusses/minuses.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager you'll find the K16's extra weight/bulk to not be your cup of tea.

MArk,

You'd win your wager. The 16 is not my cup of tea, as impressive as that engine is. I'd like the 1200 RT but, again, for the engine noise and the clutch. I expect I could get used to both, but...

Have you had any issues with your '04's ABS controller? I've not, but then I've flushed the system regularly, as recommended. I'm just wondering if a really large expense is inevitable, or if I just maintain the current system I can expect it to last for, say, 20 years?

Leon

Hi Mark

I was totally UNDERWHELMED with the 1600.

The engine felt really lacklustre until it was spun up. But when ridden in a relaxed manner it felt sluggish.

Not impressed with the protection afforded by the fairing. I did like the adjustable ducts to bring air into the envelope though.

It was also a bit of a wrestling match to hustle it through the lanes.

Nope, the 1200 wethead was in a different and better league.

MArk,

You'd win your wager. The 16 is not my cup of tea, as impressive as that engine is. I'd like the 1200 RT but, again, for the engine noise and the clutch. I expect I could get used to both, but...

Have you had any issues with your '04's ABS controller? I've not, but then I've flushed the system regularly, as recommended. I'm just wondering if a really large expense is inevitable, or if I just maintain the current system I can expect it to last for, say, 20 years?

Leon

Leon,

I just sold my 02R1150RT (original owner) and liked the wizzy brakes, I flushed the system every year, no problems. I know this is a WetHead forum, sorry... there is company that may be able to rebuild your wizzy brake brain for about $600- $800 should it fail. I liked the brake on my 02 some folks don't agree.

Bottom line I'm very happy with the 14 RT and I wouldn't go back, the smile factor is way too big. BMW hit this one out of the park!

Jay

I liked the brake on my 02 some folks don't agree.

Both of us, Jay. We seem to be in the minority, but I like the Integral/EVO brake combination.

Leon, my '04's Integral unit is working fine. Keeping the brake fluid fresh helps, but there's nothing you can do about pressure transducer failure -- a luck of the draw problem.

I'm not that worried about it though, for a couple reasons: I have a spare unit, as well as a dead unit I can cannibalize. Units also show up occasionally on the usual sources (eBay, etc.) if I need a replacement.

Note, however, that if I didn't have the ability to replace the unit myself, it could get expensive. At that point I'd seriously consider removing the unit and going to standard brakes (I'd hate to lose the ABS, but a $3K bill for dealer replacement wouldn't be in the cards).

My point is, I would not let the Integral brakes keep me from buying a nice '04 RT.

Have you had any issues with your '04's ABS controller? I've not, but then I've flushed the system regularly, as recommended. I'm just wondering if a really large expense is inevitable, or if I just maintain the current system I can expect it to last for, say, 20 years? Leon

This is not the forum to discuss this.

Toss it over to the Oilhead forum and we can chew it over.

I love my 1150RT

Archived