IGNORED

Another HID light question

walton66

I installed a single HID on one of my low beams with little success, it would work fine starting in the morning but would not retire after a gas or meal break. Checked it all out couldn't find a problem so I removed it. Now the othe low beam has burnt out so I'm thinking about trying the HID route again with a different supplier. My question revolves around a post I saw on another forum relating to the current draw at startup. The post implied that the increased draw required to fire the light could damage the OEM wiring, so recommended a relay operated by the bikes circuitry and provided power to the lights. The comment was related to a K bike not an RT. Any comment? I really liked the HID when it was working.

Thanks,

Bill

I've been using HIDs for ~10 years. It is true that there is an initial strong current pulse, as the ballast must supply ~20,000V to ignite the arc in the HID bulb -- in the past on the order of 20A, today some are less than 5A. This initial pulse immediately falls as the voltage required to maintain the arc is much lower. My experience is that the initial current draw is so short that there is not a hazard to the wiring, even with BMW's use of only as large a wire as required for the circuit. Today's lower-draw ballasts makes the choice to go without a relay even easier.

HOWEVER, the camhead's bulb monitoring circuit requires that you purchase a BMW-compatible kit to "fool" the circuit monitor to avoid either a bulb warning lamp in the dash or cut-off of the headlight supply current.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

The CANBUS compliant digital ballasts will accomplish the "fool" aspect of the circuitry. They're also much less noisy.

I have used the HID Kits from: http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Motorcycle-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kits-s/34.htm

Or Google Xenon Depot.

They come with a premium quality bulbs, ballasts & relays. I think they are most expensive on line, but their quality seems to warrant the high price. I also read somewhere their ballasts draw the initial current needed in a stepped manner to ease the bang needed to fire the HID bulbs.

Routing the relays directly from the battery to power the ballasts is a bit more work, but in the long run it seems to be stable and does not put stress on the electrical routing system (e.g. switches, fuses, CanBus-computers, etc) normally used by any particular bike for their headlights.

The headlight icon will show up on the dashboard, but I don't even notice it now & there seems to be no harm. There is a resistor they sell that will eliminate the headlight-out icon on the dashboard, but all it does it draw more current and dissipates it as heat, which is not really needed & leaves less available current for heated gear & other electrical accessories.

I have installed their kits my 3 bikes and 3 of my friends bikes & all have worked flawlessly for 2-4 years of use.

Be sure to order the Philips bulbs as they have a longer life & are super bright.

The only thing I have done with their kits is to solder their crimps, just to make sure they will never come lose.

Good luck.

I got the 6k version. I haven't got any feedback from oncoming traffic but a semi that I passed on the freeway the other night let me know that he was unhappy. Together with a high beam that is aimed way to high I thought I'd lower them a bit.

I got the 6k version. I haven't got any feedback from oncoming traffic but a semi that I passed on the freeway the other night let me know that he was unhappy. Together with a high beam that is aimed way to high I thought I'd lower them a bit. I think they put out a lot more useable light but have no empirical data to show that.

The Rocketman

What year is your RT? If its a newer one:

(1) Do you even need a high beam if your low beam HID's are that bright?

(2) Why didn't you get the HID single kit as well, and change the high beam out too?

Thanks.

I have a 2013. I have the factory highbeam. I don't often use it but my obsessive behavior wants it to point in the right direction. I didn't change it to HID ... Yet! I'll figure out how to post a photo at some point but it will only be the after. This whole thing is part of a plan for a tour to the west coast and my old riding area in New Mexico Colorado and Utah on the wAy next year. Wanted all the light I can get because I enjoy sleeping late and riding late.

Archived